Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good question, I guess it will have to come with a hill start/auto-hold function. For a start it does not have a hand break and I do not think VW will expect you to do two pedal driving.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dunno about ID.3 but the eGolf has it, so I'd kinda be expecting the ID to have it too.
Agreed. On my e-Golf it is on Auto all of the time. I would expect the ID.3 to have the same. On looking at some of the videos shot, there appears to be a P button on the very end of the motion selector (ie the P, D, N, R). The motion selector is rotated, but the P button looks to be on the very end. I may be wrong, but that's how it looks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Agreed. On my e-Golf it is on Auto all of the time. I would expect the ID.3 to have the same. On looking at some of the videos shot, there appears to be a P button on the very end of the motion selector (ie the P, D, N, R). The motion selector is rotated, but the P button looks to be on the very end. I may be wrong, but that's how it looks.
Correct!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know if the ID.3 has the auto-hold function that you get one some ICE VWs? I've got it on my Tiguan and find it really useful. Can't see it listed on the 1st edition kit list.
I'm aware that I'm answering a 6 months old question but anyway ;)
Yes the VW ID.3 have configuration for auto hold functionality. If it's disabled you get "auto creep" (not sure if it's really called so?) that resembles old automatics (i.e. the car slowly advances when no pedals are pressed. See this clip (in German but you can activate automatically translated English text) :

So the auto hold function in VW ID.3 works the same as in their ICE vehicles! Step on the brake and release it and the vehicle will stay put even in a slope, then press the accelerator and you will go forward again.

·
Registered
ONTO car hire referral code - a6b57
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm aware that I'm answering a 6 months old question but anyway ;)
Yes the VW ID.3 have configuration for auto hold functionality. If it's disabled you get "auto creep" (not sure if it's really called so?) that resembles old automatics (i.e. the car slowly advances when no pedals are pressed. See this clip (in German but you can activate automatically translated English text) :

So the auto hold function in VW ID.3 works the same as in their ICE vehicles! Step on the brake and release it and the vehicle will stay put even in a slope, then press the accelerator and you will go forward again.
Nice spot Johan! Thanks. 👍😃

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
281 Posts
Good question, I guess it will have to come with a hill start/auto-hold function. For a start it does not have a hand break and I do not think VW will expect you to do two pedal driving.
Are you sure about this? I mean, as far as I know ALL cars must have a hand break, though today almost all have electrically controlled one and also works as emergency break. Why would you need auto hold function to start uphill? The car has an automatic gear box, unlike old cars with clutches, it will not roll backwards that easy. Anyway, if you worry, you can keep pulling the break switch upwards and it will hold the car, or activate the auto hold function, but the primary task of that is to prevent forward creeping, especailly in traffic jams, which is the case with all automatic gearbox cars. My BMW has auto hold, but I don't use it since I see no need for it. Of course, it means I have to hold my foot on the break pedal if I stop uphill... but starting means releasing the break pedal and pushing the accelerator. Not rolling back a millimetre...:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you sure about this? I mean, as far as I know ALL cars must have a hand break, though today almost all have electrically controlled one and also works as emergency break. Why would you need auto hold function to start uphill? The car has an automatic gear box, unlike old cars with clutches, it will not roll backwards that easy. Anyway, if you worry, you can keep pulling the break switch upwards and it will hold the car.
On the "knob" where you set to forward (D)rive (or B for regeneration, i.e. one pedal drive) or backwards drive there's a button for parking on the VW ID.3. I think the term "auto hold" on the ID.3 (or any electric vehicle) is used to differentiate between an automatic shift drive ICE vehicle (it never stops completely when no pedal is pressed, "auto creep"?) and the "normal" behaviour that's just like the auto hold on ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
281 Posts
On the "knob" where you set to forward (D)rive (or B for regeneration, i.e. one pedal drive) or backwards drive there's a button for parking on the VW ID.3. I think the term "auto hold" on the ID.3 (or any electric vehicle) is used to differentiate between an automatic shift drive ICE vehicle (it never stops completely when no pedal is pressed, "auto creep"?) and the "normal" behaviour that's just like the auto hold on ICE vehicles.
I don't know the ID3, but to my knowledge, ALL cars have the "auto creep" function, not only ICE, but also PHEV and EV. At least our Leaf and BMW 330e has it, the BMW "auto creeps" even in electric drive mode, unless I engage the Auto hold, just like the Leaf. Anyway, electric hand break and Auto hold is different, as well as the P function. Normally, cars have a hand break, a P mode and some also Auto hold, all different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts