Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find auto hold very useful. I am disappointed to find that so long as it is operating the brake lights remain fully on. Surely they are not needed once the car has come to a stop. I assume there is no way of preventing the brake lights being on whilst auto hold is operating?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
269 Posts
I think that’s a good and logical feature. It confirms to following traffic that you are stopped, so reducing chance of a rear end shunt. Also, it indicates to the car behind when you are setting off again.

If you had stopped with the foot brake (without auto hold) the brake lights would have been on just the same anyway wouldn’t they?

My twopence worth.

Peter

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that’s a good and logical feature. It confirms to following traffic that you are stopped, so reducing chance of a rear end shunt. Also, it indicates to the car behind when you are setting off again.

If you had stopped with the foot brake (without auto hold) the brake lights would have been on just the same anyway wouldn’t they?

My twopence worth.

Peter
A good point about brake lights warning you are stopped. I was more concerned about bright brake lights annoying the car behind. I accept they would be on if you hold the car on the foot brake. I should like to be able to turn them off if stuck in a traffic queue so as not to annoy the car behind. Of course I could if I set the parking brake - but one thing that makes an EV much easier to drive in traffic is that this is not always necessary.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry a bit confused, brakes lights on with auto hold?
If the auto hold button is pressed after starting the e-Niro, then if the car is brought to a halt the foot brake can be released and the car will hold its position as if the parking brake had been applied. However the stop lights remain on which could annoy the car behind.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you use the left paddle to stop and/or hold then they are off, once deceleration drops below level 2.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Cripes, I feel like a right nerd here, but here goes:

You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

I do have a problem pulling up behind people sitting on their brake pedal, especially where there are high level LEDs.

Anyway, 1st world proble
m .....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's daft when you think how easy it is to apply the parking brake in most modern cars now a days.
But still not as easy as auto hold where you only have to bring the car to a halt. This makes driving in traffic so much more relaxing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my B250e I often put it in park if I'm going to be stationary for more than a few seconds. It means the car won't roll on a hill, and won't move forward if I accidentally touch either pedal. And dead easy to flick it into drive when I want to move off.

Is this not simple to do in the Niro?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm comparing against cars from a few years back and certainly didn't have auto hold then either.
Except everyone I knew who drove an automatic. Stop at lights and keep foot planted on brake pedal to stop creep. T’was the way people drove automatics.

·
Registered
400 Posts
DSG-equipped cars from VW have had this feature, I think, for a while now. Self-preservation for the clutches I guess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I find auto hold very useful. I am disappointed to find that so long as it is operating the brake lights remain fully on. Surely they are not needed once the car has come to a stop. I assume there is no way of preventing the brake lights being on whilst auto hold is operating?
Apply the parking brake and the brake lights go out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Why are you worried - you can't see when they are on, so what's the problem ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
At least you can engage the parking brake and it'll disable automatically. It's not like DSG where you need to keep your foot on the brake to keep the engine off.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It may be true in the UK where this sort of habit may be a traditional courtesy or habit from the days of manual transmissions, but in other countries not having brake lights on when stopped on a road is unexpected and risks a rear end collision.
This is no-doubt why the recent Kona BMS update changed the left paddle hold function to keep the lights on after stopping.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts