Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something's been bugging me since becoming more aware/interested in electric powered vehicles.

Like many I've always had an interest in cars and am a mild petrolhead, but since ordering and owning my Golf GTE I've become more and more disillusioned with the state of motoring journalism with regard to EVs.

It seems like the current crop of professional journos don't know how to adjust to the changing personal transport landscape. I would go so far as to question their relevance.

To me, EVs have turned my interest in cars from their emotional aspects, how they look, sound, perform, to their technical aspects, with maybe only their looks directly transitioning.

EVs straight line speed is an almost given. There is only slight variance in each class.

EVs all "sound" the same.

Their efficiency/consumption is ball park similar.

Handling is similar for each segment. Weight being a major factor and the natural position for a flat tray of cells is at the lowest point.

Reading the numerous articles of PHEVs, REXs coming out in the recent past, the journos spend 95% of the time talking about the old petrolhead details. They really don't have much to say about the EV aspects, and that's the reason for my assertion that automotive journalism as we know it is DEAD. I don't even know if there is a space in the future for them.

All people need to know is the available kwH pack size, basic specs, price, and does it look nice.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Very true but evolution doesn't happen overnight. Like every change it will take time for 'cleverer' species to adapt, change and evolve whilst the dinosaurs eventually die out. This will be the same for the car manufacturers themselves as well. Slowly they will find that they can make their vehicles different. The Tesla S versus the Renault Zoe is a simple comparison already, they are not the same. It won't be long before the full range of existing vehicles are converted to electric. I for one would love an MX5 EV for the summer and I bet they would sell like hot cakes. Similarly, EV SUVs will sell fast too.

In terms of the journalists, I despair at the way the current crop of petrol heads (I hate that term) spend endless hours harping on about the latest £200k supercars that nobody can afford. So what, it is an irrelevance to most people. But they will do the same in due course with EVs equipped with ever more powerful motors.

As usual, the rest of the mid range run of the mill EV cars will be ignored by the Clarkson brigade who live their dream in their overpaid overhyped journalistic self important jobs. And as long as there are people out there who buy into their pointless drivel, they'll continue to line their pockets handsomely in the process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts