Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Had the Soul 1st Edition for a a few weeks now and still getting used to the menus and some of the display indicators.

Does anyone know what the changing colour (from white to blue & back) of the Auto Regen Level Indicator means? It appears to change at random, rather than say blue when regen is happening & white when not.

Also, the +counter when regen is happening for a period of time (like going down a long hill). From the manual it appears to say how many miles are being added to the range, but does not add them to the range figure. For example, going down a long hill for 2-3 miles (A465 during roadworks) it goes up to about +30, but then starts again at zero if you need to accelerate for a short period.

I have looked through the manual for explanation of the above, but can't find anything meaningful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Blue means that your car has locked onto the vehicle in front - If the vehicle in front slows, your car will slow with the appropriate amount of regen needed when you lift off the accelerator.
White means that it is not locked onto any vehicle in front - If you lift off the accelerator the car will only apply the level of regen currently set with no automatic adaptation.

Not sure on your other query... I am guessing that is an Eco mode thing? I drive in Normal mode most of the time so haven't noticed this... Also I drive a Niro not a Soul...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue means that your car has locked onto the vehicle in front - If the vehicle in front slows, your car will slow with the appropriate amount of regen needed when you lift off the accelerator.
White means that it is not locked onto any vehicle in front - If you lift off the accelerator the car will only apply the level of regen currently set with no automatic adaptation.

Not sure on your other query... I am guessing that is an Eco mode thing? I drive in Normal mode most of the time so haven't noticed this... Also I drive a Niro not a Soul...
Thanks, that possibly explains it, but the strange thing is that it appears to change from white to blue and back at random, when not even following another car!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should find that when you are not following another vehicle, it will stay white. As you then approach another vehicle it will turn to blue. I find it works well most of the time, but it can be affected by parked cars, distance to vehicle ahead, bends in road etc.
OK, it could be picking up on safety barriers, etc. Also, it may be affected by me "feathering" the accelerator to maintain the correct speed as it is in situations where I am not using the adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,178 Posts
I also find that its not very good in auto mode when driving along country roads, as when you lift off unless I have changed to regen levels 1, 2 or 3, it will just keep on coasting along. But that has been explained above. Maybe I should try it more. Basically it only seems to work if following another vehicle.

As regards the miles, that is an eco setting thing definitely. However, if you look closely it will be showing 3.0, not 30!! I've not seen it add miles to my GOM yet either. I prefer the drive in Normal to Eco. I've not yet had an instance where I even need to think about Eco so I can make it to the next charger. So I drive in Normal and play with the regen paddles just like a flappy paddle gearbox.:)

Reactions: Savvy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts