Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On dual carriageways with a70Mph limit that are not recognised as “Navigate on Autopilot” only normal “Autopilot” if I want to change lanes and indicate then move the steering wheel to perform the lane change, as the Autopilot deactivates from the wheel move there is quite a sudden jerk/wobble that feels quite disconcerting. Is this something I just have to get used to? My previous car was a Kona Electric and that was quite happy with me changing lanes (and kept the autosteer cruise control active) without any jerkiness. In the Tesla I have taken to disengaging Autopilot with and up-stalk before indicating and changing lanes to make it smoother. On FSD when it wants to initiate a lane change there is none of this jerkiness/wobble only when using the normal AutoPilot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can't say this is something I've noticed. There is a little bit of movement as you take back over as you're putting a bit of steering input in but nothing that my wife has commented on (the arbiter of all things "Stupid Tesla").

One thing that would be good with AP would be if you indicate, once you've returned to the new lane it should automatically resume auto steer. It's annoying that you have to constantly be banging on the stick and listening to all the bing bongs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
On dual carriageways with a70Mph limit that are not recognised as “Navigate on Autopilot” only normal “Autopilot” if I want to change lanes and indicate then move the steering wheel to perform the lane change, as the Autopilot deactivates from the wheel move there is quite a sudden jerk/wobble that feels quite disconcerting. Is this something I just have to get used to? My previous car was a Kona Electric and that was quite happy with me changing lanes (and kept the autosteer cruise control active) without any jerkiness. In the Tesla I have taken to disengaging Autopilot with and up-stalk before indicating and changing lanes to make it smoother. On FSD when it wants to initiate a lane change there is none of this jerkiness/wobble only when using the normal AutoPilot.
I use AP all the time on motorways. When changing lane I indicate, wait a second or two then steer across. The gentle steering input disengages AP smoothly. Then when in the new lane I just press down twice and let the car take over again. No wobbles - well none providing that I have the car properly in the new lane. If I engage AP again a bit too early there might be a wobble then as AP puts the car where it wants it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I really like the plain old Autopilot apart from the bing-bongs. Although it's disconcerting when you engage it and the steering immediately darts off to the left and then straightens out. The first few times I was sure the car was steering me into a crash barrier!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for your responses, yes, as a new Tesla owner the Bing-Bongs are super annoying after the first few times. Especially on Dual Carriageways with normal autopilot where you have to hear it every time you want to overtake. Bing-Bong (overtake then return to inside late, Bong-Bing (restart AP), over and over, aaaarrrggghhh! (Even with Joe Mode on they are too loud). I have to say I am missing the silence of my Kona Electric’s cabin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts