Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on to auto-trader today and was very surprised to see that there were already deals for the ID3.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just had a look, cheapest is £35,827 - so £53 less than the RRP minus £3,000 grant?

I was surprised to see any on there (19) but they don’t seem to be giving them away quite yet!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wonder if these are cancelled customer orders and the dealer decided to keep it for "stock" or if they just ordered them without an actual customer in mind or if VW are sending them all a demo car as happened with the Kia e-Niro launch ?

We may never know, I also wonder if this "glut" of availability will be followed by a longish period when it is hard to get one and 6 month wait times etc as can happen if demand from the factory is high, perhaps not high here in the UK but in Germany with the large cash EV incentives and bonuses that are on offer or Norway with a very large customer base of e-Golf owners who may be interested in an upgrade.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The designated ID3 salesman, at my local dealership, said that they were waiting for their demo car to arrive. Apparently it's due in a couple of week's time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A week later 40 are listed, hot cakes they are not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Undoubtedly the 1st Edition is over-priced.
Then again there has been close to zero promo for the ID3 so far in the UK, even in the dealerships.
Maybe they are very softly launching this because of the software issues? Which won’t be resolved until January or so..

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,067 Posts
This thread is funny:

"40 ID.3 1st Ed on sale!! Overpriced! Woah! VW failure!"
Get a little perspective: There were 1500 1st Editions to be delivered to UK. 40 is 2.7% :eek::ROFLMAO:o_O:p

Reactions: jeffUK and Boicey

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a look this morning and they are now at 46. This makes me wonder....It is only speculation, but does this indicate that there is less demand than anticipated or does it reflect the fact that VW are really manufacturing at scale or possibly a bit of both?
VW have invested considerable infrastructure behind the car and so it does seem that they are going to have to make sure that they do sell.

It also makes me wonder when we might see second hand models start to appear on the market.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
I had a look this morning and they are now at 46. This makes me wonder....It is only speculation, but does this indicate that there is less demand than anticipated or does it reflect the fact that VW are really manufacturing at scale or possibly a bit of both?
As above, VW UK had an allocation of 1500 1st Edition and there won't be any more of them. The pandemic has upended a lot of people's lives so it should not be a surprise people cancelled their preorders. As I enquired initially, I was emailed last month by VW saying they had some availability. I suspect the reason those remaining cars aren't selling quickly is there are no attractive PCP or lease deals, the VW dealers seem most interested in cash sales.

It is interesting VW are now shifting the focus to the ID.4 and I suspect they are now reducing their forecast for the ID.3. The key to getting volume in UK to increase is doing good finance deals, hopefully we will see those once there is general availability of the ID.3 series models.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now up to 65 cars available on Autotrader. I very much doubt there will be any discounts from list price or sweet finance deals, but maybe some dealers might be prepared to offer generous trade-in deals?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts