Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the MG ZS EV Excite for 22 months. There has been much discussion on window tinting on various fora concluding generally that there is no tinting on the car's windows. Last summer I would have agreed with that conclusion.

Early last summer I was considering having the side and back windows tinted to the minimal level, or just a clear UV tint. A local tinter said there was some tinting - a light green looking tint. During that summer I did notice the intense heat and high glare levels in the car on very sunny days.

This summer just passed glare and heat has not been so bad on similarly sunny days. Looking at the windows there is now a definite tint to the windows. You can tell when comparing to the windscreen which of course is clear. The green tint has gone.

Last summer all windows appeared to have the same clear look. Is it possible that there is a built in (green) layer that auto tints over time? Anyone noticed this change in their car during the second summer of ownership?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,395 Posts
Nope, there is no tint. And your chosen tinter isn't worth his salt if he eyeballed it only. He should have tested the glass with a light meter then he'd find its 99% clear, i.e. as clear as its going to get.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had your MG ZS EV Sandy? I would completely agree with you 12 months ago, but now when I park the car against an evenly light covered wall and when driving, and look at the passenger A-pilar, there is a distinct light tint to the passenger door glass vs. the windscreen glass.

It would be interesting to hear the option from other 18 - 24 month owners who have not added tinting.

Agreed, I asked the local tinter to measure the glass with his light meter. He said it was broken. I walked away at that point!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,395 Posts
How long have you had your MG ZS EV Sandy? I would completely agree with you 12 months ago, but now when I park the car against an evenly light covered wall and when driving, and look at the passenger A-pilar, there is a distinct light tint to the passenger door glass vs. the windscreen glass.

It would be interesting to hear the option from other 18 - 24 month owners who have not added tinting.

Agreed, I asked the local tinter to measure the glass with his light meter. He said it was broken. I walked away at that point!
March 2020. Your eyes are deceiving you, there is zero tint on the windows, what your probably seeing as the reflection of interior off the glass, glass isn't 100% see through, I can look through my house double glazing and argue its got a tint because i'm looking through 2 layers of glass which will in effect reduce the light by a couple of %. Have them tested by a professional with glass testing kit. It'll take him 2 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts