Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autocar have published an article detailing their experience of the different public charging providers, trying out charging in and around Milton Keynes. Their experience seems very similar to many of the threads and posts you see on these forums.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,718 Posts
A very fair analysis. Call me stubborn with the potential to cut off my nose etc, but I choose to only use sites that take contactless bank cards. Why? Because I can afford to but mainly to send a message to the companies.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,517 Posts
A very fair analysis.
True, and the unconverted now have further "reasons" not to buy an EV. Nothing positive will happen as a result of it - the Government's attention is elsewhere. Grant Shapps doesn't get the problem as he has a relatively long range EV and the support of the SuC network.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,180 Posts
A very fair analysis. Call me stubborn with the potential to cut off my nose etc, but I choose to only use sites that take contactless bank cards. Why? Because I can afford to but mainly to send a message to the companies.
I think that we are in this boat. We have had too many experiences of messing around with apps that don't work and calling the helpline in the rain or cold, when for 5-10p more per kWh we can tap a card and be done with it. My wife tends to pretty much only use Instavolt because of this.

Recently we went to park somewhere where we had before and the charger had changed to Gronn Kontakt! I had never heard of them before, but another app that did not work, registering credit card and then to find out that 7kw/h charge was 35p per kWh. So it was straight off to the nearest Instavolt.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
True, and the unconverted now have further "reasons" not to buy an EV. Nothing positive will happen as a result of it
The positive is that potential EV buyers won't buy and be horribly disappointed leading to even greater disillusionment with the "EV Experience".
The more bad publicity the charging network gets (not the cars) the sooner someone - gov't, charging companies, electricity suppliers - is likely to start getting their act(s) together.
Just saying "everything is fine" will lead to a Chernobyl situation. The current 'network' (being generous) is not fit for the present, never mind the future.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
It's a fair article, it's in my patch and I've used many of those exact chargers. But I don't think it's a good picture of the nation as a whole. The MK area has had a lot of chargers for a long time, a lot of them are quite old or beta/test hardware and probably the last ones on the upgrade list.

When I travel elsewhere, bar ecotricity, I find it quite rare to find a charger without contactless these days and in the 5-6 years I've been EVing the last 2 years have been a marked improvement.

Obviously there's still improvements to be made, none of the subscriptions are worth it IMO if you have charging at home and have a 100 mile+ EV and are a standard 10k a year driver. It's not worth £70-150 a year to get £2 off a charge the 5-10 times you need it a year. But there's lots of faster chargers being installed in banks or 4, 8, 12+ all over.

I'd like to see some real data on charging, no one ever talks about all the charges that worked perfected as they should where they were plugged in and charging in 30 seconds and off for a coffee and a cake. People do end up on plan B, C, D... and vent on a forum, facebook, twitter or to the press. But really how common is that?

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
350 Posts
There is only Instavolt and Tesla is there not?
Osprey are apparently good, although not tried them myself.

BP Pulse is great if you have and RFID card, but very hit or miss if trying to pay contactless.

Also while there is only one out there atm, Gridserve was extremely easy and contactless.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's a fair article, it's in my patch and I've used many of those exact chargers. But I don't think it's a good picture of the nation as a whole. The MK area has had a lot of chargers for a long time, a lot of them are quite old or beta/test hardware and probably the last ones on the upgrade list.

When I travel elsewhere, bar ecotricity, I find it quite rare to find a charger without contactless these days and in the 5-6 years I've been EVing the last 2 years have been a marked improvement.

Obviously there's still improvements to be made, none of the subscriptions are worth it IMO if you have charging at home and have a 100 mile+ EV and are a standard 10k a year driver. It's not worth £70-150 a year to get £2 off a charge the 5-10 times you need it a year. But there's lots of faster chargers being installed in banks or 4, 8, 12+ all over.

I'd like to see some real data on charging, no one ever talks about all the charges that worked perfected as they should where they were plugged in and charging in 30 seconds and off for a coffee and a cake. People do end up on plan B, C, D... and vent on a forum, facebook, twitter or to the press. But really how common is that?
I agree with you that people will use a forum to vent when something goes wrong.

However, I don't think that I have read on any other of the "normal" car forums, any instance of somebody complaining that they visited
a number of petrol/ diesel pumps, and they weren't working.

Here's an idea. I don't use the public charging network so I can't help with it. But is there anyone here that does and are able to submit a measured, truthful and totally objective article to Autocar expressing a positive view?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,983 Posts
The BP ultrachargers are very hit and miss. Even with RFID. I've had them reboot themselves so they didn't work or the touchscreens are frozen. All issues that have been going on for years and still don't appear to be fixed. Customer services take forever to answer so it's always easier to go elsewhere.

It's funny how some EV people are always moaning about how we shouldn't have the fossil fuel mindset.. you know the one where you can go to any fuel station anywhere and actually get fuel without a million hoops to jump through :mad: This is why the normals want the same experience. It bloody well works easily and without hassle. Why don't EV drivers want that? Many seem to want anal retentive planning and have plan A, B & C. Sod that. Plan A that just works like petrol if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

You would not see so many complaints on an EV forum if the charging infrastructure was fit for purpose. I'm on my 3rd EV and in the early days I might have taken the EV on long trips with a sort of pioneering spirit but also with a degree of trepidation. I expected that feeling to have gone 7 years later, but it hasn't. Now I really can't be bothered pouring over zap map, working out a viable route with back up options and having to reassure passengers when things start to unravel. No, I take the diesel.
Until the electric charging infrastructure works like petrol stations and are located along trunk roads, nothing will change. Having said that, I still do 90% of my miles in the Leaf

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
You would not see so many complaints on an EV forum if the charging infrastructure was fit for purpose. I'm on my 3rd EV and in the early days I might have taken the EV on long trips with a sort of pioneering spirit but also with a degree of trepidation. I expected that feeling to have gone 7 years later, but it hasn't. Now I really can't be bothered pouring over zap map, working out a viable route with back up options and having to reassure passengers when things start to unravel. No, I take the diesel.
Until the electric charging infrastructure works like petrol stations and are located along trunk roads, nothing will change. Having said that, I still do 90% of my miles in the Leaf
My wife's got my old leaf, and yeah it's a different life to me in my ID.3 (and e-Golf before it). Admittedly it's been pandemic times so haven't travelled as much, but now I know I've got 200+ miles, I've hardily looked at zap-map. Turning up to a broke/occupied charger isn't as annoying as at 20% I've still got 40 miles.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but the progress is well underway. Yeah older cars and older chargers are going to have problems, but newer cars and newer chargers are becoming the majority. And they are much better than what's come before.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Getting a little bit better in some areas is just not good enough. The fact that we have so many complaints from dedicated EV owners must indicate an underlying degree of dissatisfaction. No membership schemes, no special fobs and rfid cards, no weary apps, no single chargers and having adequate facilities directly off main UK trunk roads. Thats what is needed. That way, EV owners could begin to realistically sell the concept of EV ownership. I just can't do that now.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I think you and me are living very different EV lives, I wouldn't say a little bit better in some areas. I'm saying it's significantly better in almost every area. Bar ecotricity, I've not used a membership card, app or fob for probably 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The only significant difference that comes to mind is that I still have an ICE vehicle.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
EV adoption does require a change in mindset and expectation, it’s just unrealistic to expect it to be the same as ICE ownership.

If we really want to recreate the ICE refuel experience, you need to include the queueing in a dingy forecourt shop alongside overpriced confectionary, before paying for your fuel in the presence of a disinterested member of staff using a chip and pin terminal that’s been used by a thousand people between wipe downs.

The trick will be to sell the benefits of EV ownership, of which there are many, instead of continually pointing out the difficulties involved in recharging it on those regular 500 mile trips to Lands End or wherever.

I honestly have not had a problem charging since I started using Instavolt, or Ionity for that matter. Support the companies that are getting it right, and let the others step up or wither and die.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,517 Posts
Having said that, I still do 90% of my miles in the Leaf
Which surely shows that on the majority of occasions the combination of home charging and the public infrastructure is adequate. It's only for road warriors like @stageshoot that public Rapid charging becomes a significant issue or people who seem to expect to treat their EV like an ICE and insist on only charging away from home.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,983 Posts
I've never had a problem with the 50kW ... is it just the 150+ one's that you have had issues with?
Nope. 150kw ones aren't anywhere near anywhere I've been. Only the 50kw ones. I've used them sporadically since 2016 and they've varied from same site works each time to other sites that were 50% success at best. The touchscreen freezing issue has been a problem for years. And the rebooting problem. Both of those issues were most of the failures so it's been several years of russian roulette.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts