Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autocar have published a reasonably balanced article on EV safety once you look beyond the clickbait headlines

How safe are electric cars? | Autocar

It looks like the editorial line is to embrace EVs as an inevitable part of the future - about time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Quite balanced, for a change.
What really gets my goat, is grown up men who "get off" on the noise of ICE vehicles.
I live close to Matlock Bath, on the edge of the Peak District in the East Midlands. Listening to the constant stream of motorbikes and souped-up cars with their excessively loud exhausts is something I haven't missed at all during the Covid pandemic.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps when the pandemic is over Derbyshire Police will enforce the noise regulations on vehicles as enthusiastically as they have the Covid regulations. :unsure:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Interesting article. Two comments:

1. In my mind one overlooked feature of EVs is that they can provide heating (or cooling) for extended times. This makes them safer than ICE cars. For example, when stuck on a road closed due to snow & ice or a crash. Most EVs, depending on battery size and SOC can 'idle' 12 - 24 hours. Whereas most ICE cars can't.

2. They should know better than use 'accident' to describe a crash. A crash can be non-accidental due to careless / dangerous / distracted driving.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7.4kW
83 Posts
Interesting article. Two comments:

1. In my mind one overlooked feature of EVs is that they can provide heating (or cooling) for extended times. This makes them safer than ICE cars. For example, when stuck on a road closed due to snow & ice or a crash. Most EVs, depending on battery size and SOC can 'idle' 12 - 24 hours. Whereas most ICE cars can't.

2. They should know better than use 'accident' to describe a crash. A crash can be non-accidental due to careless / dangerous / distracted driving.
I mean those by definition would still be accidents, it’s not like the driver intended to crash :p.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I mean those by definition would still be accidents, it’s not like the driver intended to crash :p.
But they may be acting carelessly / dangerously and therefore causing the crash. I won't belabour the point, but I believe there's solid logic behind avoiding the term 'accident' for a road traffic collision.

And you can find plenty of footage on youtube of intentional collisions, usually due to some kind of road rage.

Quoting from Wikipedia:
Some organizations have begun to avoid the term "accident", instead preferring terms such as "collision", "crash" or "incident".[8][9] This is because the term "accident" implies that there is no-one to blame, whereas most traffic collisions are the result of driving under the influence, excessive speed, distractions such as mobile phones or other risky behavior.[10][11][12]

·
Well-Loved Member
1,043 Posts
Perhaps when the pandemic is over Derbyshire Police will enforce the noise regulations on vehicles as enthusiastically as they have the Covid regulations. :unsure:
Am all up for enforcing noise regs but before apportioning blame recall that "road noise" above town centre limits is mainly tyre-surface i.e. unrelated to what's under the bonnet. Tyre-surface din also climbs logarithmically with speed.

WHO study from a decade ago estimated that, every year now, road and traffic noise in W. Europe accounts for 1m years of life lost to ill health, disability or even death. Recent SMMT data shows we've sailed past 40 million cars (!) on UK roads, so sadly it's going to be a long old time before this particular nuisance is mitigated let alone reduced to a level where its impact barely registers

·
Registered
137 Posts
But they may be acting carelessly / dangerously and therefore causing the crash. I won't belabour the point, but I believe there's solid logic behind avoiding the term 'accident' for a road traffic collision.

And you can find plenty of footage on youtube of intentional collisions, usually due to some kind of road rage.

Quoting from Wikipedia:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts