Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nothing in that to contradict Fully Charged's glowing review from December.

I'm still in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only new piece of information in this article compared to the Dec 2018 Fully Charged article, is the "explanation" of the front bonnet shape which may be linked with the HUD:

Answering why VW went for such a ‘fast’ windscreen on such a compact car aside from the obvious aerodynamic reasons, our chaperone told me they simply needed a lot of space on the top of the dashboard to accommodate the car’s giant-sized head-up display. That will be used to project augmented-reality navigation arrows, hazard alerts and pedestrian detection right onto the underside of the windscreen in top-of-the-range versions.

And I assume that VW are not going to have a different body shape for non-HUD vehicles.

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The only new piece of information in this article compared to the Dec 2018 Fully Charged article, is the "explanation" of the front bonnet shape which may be linked with the HUD:

Answering why VW went for such a ‘fast’ windscreen on such a compact car aside from the obvious aerodynamic reasons, our chaperone told me they simply needed a lot of space on the top of the dashboard to accommodate the car’s giant-sized head-up display. That will be used to project augmented-reality navigation arrows, hazard alerts and pedestrian detection right onto the underside of the windscreen in top-of-the-range versions.

And I assume that VW are not going to have a different body shape for non-HUD vehicles.

Discuss.
Sounds like a bad design, assuming that most of the vehicles will be non-HUD...

Or they are so confident that everyone will be buying the HUD :unsure:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Or they are so confident that everyone will be buying the HUD :unsure:
Most of the ID.3’s will certainly NOT have HUD

However I will not buy an ID.3 without HUD / AR.

At the moment it will take some or all of these (additional to the Max spec that we already know about) options for me to buy the ID.3 over a Model 3:

Heated steering wheel
Ventilated seats
Powered tailgate
Under £40K

·
Registered
35 Posts
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated seats
Powered tailgate
Under £40K
I suspect there is zero chance of you getting all this regardless of price.

I think you're better of committing to the M3 now, not that one of those has any of those things either :unsure:

·
Registered
154 Posts

Discuss.
Sounds like complete BS to me. There's no way they would let the option of a HUD dictate something as fundamental as the rake of the windscreen. So let's stick with the more obvious aerodynamic reasons for it!

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
I suspect there is zero chance of you getting all this regardless of price.

I think you're better of committing to the M3 now, not that one of those has any of those things either :unsure:
For upmarket features you probably need to wait for the Crozz which is more luxury focused. Be expensive though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts