1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MG ZS EV rated best EV (y):whistle::giggle:

Quote from site;

"
The electric-car market is expanding, but Driver Power owners have one clear winner, and it’s the electric ZS SUV. After filtering out the electric version from the petrol model’s results (something we have to increasingly do with more makers offering one car with multiple powertrains) the ZS triumphs over electric rivals such as the Nissan Leaf.
The ZS EV manages this for a number of reasons, chief among which are rock-bottom running costs, highly regarded drivetrains, and a series of fantastic marks in the ride and handling category. These are areas where the standard ZS does fairly poorly, so it seems switching to electricity brings with it greater ownership satisfaction.
"

Reactions: Neilew and Carty

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
MG ZS EV rated best EV (y):whistle::giggle:

View attachment 129579

Quote from site;

"
The electric-car market is expanding, but Driver Power owners have one clear winner, and it’s the electric ZS SUV. After filtering out the electric version from the petrol model’s results (something we have to increasingly do with more makers offering one car with multiple powertrains) the ZS triumphs over electric rivals such as the Nissan Leaf.
The ZS EV manages this for a number of reasons, chief among which are rock-bottom running costs, highly regarded drivetrains, and a series of fantastic marks in the ride and handling category. These are areas where the standard ZS does fairly poorly, so it seems switching to electricity brings with it greater ownership satisfaction.
"
Hi @Sandy .
Thanks for posting !.
I find some of these reviews a little “Sheep” like, one person makes an observation and they all copy it like carbon paper.
To say the ride and handling is “Poor” depends on what you are comparing it too really ?.
It could be described as a little soft side, that would be a fair statement.
But it’s not the sort of car to go belting around a roundabout at high speed really.
If you wanted to do that, you bought the wrong car !.
I have moved from a low to the ground, quick 5 door hatchback and into a small SUV with a softer ride.
Do I miss struggling to get into a sporty hatchback ?.
No - Not at all.
It depends on your driving style and what you expect from the car I think.
Don’t buy an SUV and expect to handle like a Golf R !.
If you do, you have not researched or though about it to closely enough.
Every thing is a compromise in life.
I aways wanted an EV after the plugin hybrid.
The electric drive makes up for a lot of the other things that I don’t have anymore.
Would I return to a ICE now, no chance !.
The ZS EV is not perfect, is any car really ?????.
Suit me, that’s all that matters.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Carry.
I may be wrong but I think you mis read Sandy's post incorrectly. The review actually said -
The ZS EV manages this for a number of reasons, chief among which are rock-bottom running costs, highly regarded drivetrains, and a series of fantastic marks in the ride and handling category.
It was the ICE ZS that they said was poor.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ZS EV is on the spongy side when side by side compared with say a Zoe. But then its not as crashy as the Zoe on bumpy rough roads. Or at least that's what I've found. The Zoe would turn in better on winding roads, but it still wants to wash wide if the corner tightens, the MG will get round the corner just as well it just feels a bit less connected.

In the Zoe I never really had the wheels squealing on corners and the MG is the same just leans a bit more.

Its all down to what you expect as @Carty says. I see reviews saying the Kona is a much better handling SUV. And yet its not really an SUV at all, its a low hatchback which looks like an SUV until you sit in it and realise you've sat in a low slung hatch. The Zoe looks like a small supermini but you sit pretty high up, not a lot lower than the MG to be honest.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I may be wrong but I think you mis read Sandy's post incorrectly.
If someone misreads a post incorrectly it means it was read correctly as that's a double negative!

Reactions: JohnSS

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I drove a petrol ZS for a day while my dealer had my ZS EV for upgrade. It was horrible. It's half the price, and less than half the car, of the EV. They looked the same from the outside, but that's where the similarity ended. The petrol version did have one advantage however; adjusting either of the heater knobs caused the infotainment screen to react immediately, and the small icon showing temperature is a needle guage in the petrol version, making temperature adjustments much easier. Other than that, it was universally poorer. So you do get something for that EV premium price... :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
BTW, Sandy, you should post your original post to the "General" group, as it's relevant to all EV owners, not just us folks who chose the right car up-front! :)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
It was the ICE ZS that they said was poor.
Hi @Freddy .
Yeah point well taken, my mistake I just quickly proof read the high lighted quote and though the comments about the poor ride etc was directed at the EV and not the ICE as you correctly said, sorry.
A bit to quick to jump up and defend the ZS EV in my case !.
Less hast, more speed in the future.
I have never driven the ZS ICE and probably glad that I did not.
Some of the reviews of the ICE cars said that the engines where “not the best” let’s say.
While waiting for delivery of my ZS EV, my son said :-
“ Why don’t you just test drive the petrol version to see if you like the car Dad ?”.
I discovered many years ago, that the quality / performance of a drive train can make or break ANY car.
What could / should be a good car on paper, can be a massive disappointment if it is supported by a crappy engine / drive train.
On the tip side, a appears to be a simple mediocre car, can turn out to be a brilliant car if it has a fantastic engine / drive train.
When commenting on the new ZS EV - one MG sales person who had driven the car at open day said :-
“This is power train the ZS was waiting for, it has changed the car beyond belief”.
This may prove that my thoughts on this subject are some way correct at least.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
ZS EV is a very good car.

Handling is crap though by any real measure. Ride is decent.

I think it would be a better car on smaller wheels, say 205/60x16 rather than the 215/50x17 - a little more compliance in the sidewalls would likely reduce the tendency to skip the rear wheels mid-bend.

(or Mr Procter's Bilstein dampers as a factory fit!)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
ZS EV is a very good car.

Handling is crap though by any real measure. Ride is decent.

I think it would be a better car on smaller wheels, say 205/60x16 rather than the 215/50x17 - a little more compliance in the sidewalls would likely reduce the tendency to skip the rear wheels mid-bend.

(or Mr Procter's Bilstein dampers as a factory fit!)
Purely speaking for myself here, but if the handling was a big issue to me then I would favour going for the upgraded shockers like Mike.
The OEM 17" wheel and tyre combo already looks a little bit lost in the big wheel arches as it is.
Reducing it to a 16" set up would make it look even worse.
I think it would look terrible from the side profile.
An SUV body on such small wheels would look totally "Out Of Wack".
Almost top heavy looking some how ?.
The ride would be more compliant on 16's because there is more tyre and less road wheel true, but the I am not sure I could live with the looks of the car just to gain a little better handling !.
Again, it depends on what is important to you, the car has to match your driving style really.
I guess you will only discover the limitations of the handling, if you are willing to push the car a little hard into a corner / roundabout at a higher speed.
For normal everyday driving, I guess not too many ZS EV owners are looking for that big increase in the level of handling really.
They are just happy to be cruising along at a sedate pace in relative silence.
In the knowledge they are not emitting any hasty emission gases into the air.
Relaxing in stress free environment by listening to something relaxing on the radio with a stupid smile on their faces !.
Sorry, but I am one of those people :eek:.
You make a good valid point over the weaknesses of the OEM handling of the car when being pushed, but for the majority of owners I can't see that coming into question on the every day trips to the local super market, or dropping the kids off at school, or even making a day trip to the sea side with the kids really.

IF and WHEN we ever see that time come around again of course !.

Stay Safe Folks, sadly I think we are likely to see a BIG reported increase in losses after this Easter weekend I feel :cry:.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I don't think it would make a lot of difference to the looks as the radius of the wheel/tyre would be maintained.

The aesthetic issue is the car's wheels don't come close to filling the arches.

Having seen some renderings of it on 18 and 19 inch wheels with correspondingly smaller sidewalls, none of them look any better.

Dropping the springs by 25mm and increasing wheel/tyre radius by 25mm (to keep ground clearance), say 235/50×18 would be the poseur's choice!

The speedo would be out though...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with Carty here, that you choose a car based on your intended usage. You wouldn't want an SUV style if your major usage model is hacking the A-roads on the weekends... If you want an all-round car that can do that sort of thing, the Tesla Model 3 is your baby. The MG is "fit for purpose" in this respect - I've never felt unsafe in it, even in the horrible wet, windy weather we had in February, on motorways at 70. However it's not a car I would take down the back-roads just for fun (I have a motorbike for that :)). I really appreciate the high ground clearance, the large luggage capacity, the high driving position (for great visibility and ease of getting in and out) etc. All these come with the price of not having the handling of a sports car. However I may be tempted to upgrade the shocks, as Mike Procter has shown, just to give the car more capability in the "A-Road" department :).

·
Journeyman Human
445 Posts
Regarding the wheels. My own opinion is increasing the wheels to 19" whilst maintaining the current tyre sidewall profile would leave the car looking stunning. Weather or not this can be
done with no clearance issues, I don't know, but looking at the current excess of wheel arch space, most probably. Ride quality would also be maintained when doing this.

Acceleration would be fractionally lower, top speed fractionally higher. But, the real problem you're then left with is the speedometer will be out and the emergency braking systems might not react properly as they'll be working on the basis of the wrong speed!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I might as well put my 2p in as I’ve been quoted a few times!!

Firstly the MG ZS EV is a brilliant small SUV. No it’s not perfect. But it could be close!

Second, the comfort on OEM dampers is okay, but as they are so soft it uses up most of the suspension travel very quickly, which is why you get that bounce/jump mid bend from the back end.
Personally I didn’tthink that was safe.

My aim with the Bilstein dampers is to improve the overall comfort and stop the crashing which happens again due to the inadequate front & rear dampers.

Obviously there is going to be some compromise, as making the dampers have more control and not use up all the travel on normal roads in normal use will make slow speed slightly harsher. We are just working on reducing harshness from the initial set we have fitted to my car.

Handling at 50-60mph was awesome. Steering response has improved due to the bigger internal rods and the dampers are much stiffer as they are a monotube design like on a lot of top end cars.

As somebody mentioned above where the OEM dampers lack that connected feel, the current set up is the opposite and you feel much more connected to the car and what it is doing.

i had covered around 1400 miles on the dampers before the lock down.

Sadly, with the lockdown, we are having to wait until Bilstein reopen before we can order new modified dampers.

Ah well. This lockdown isn’t for ever.

Keep safe everyone.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
The MG sounds like an awesome deal when you have to upgrade major parts to make it drive properly. :)
It’s an OPTION not a necessity.
Personal choice plays its part.
Example, 90% of the people who buy a Golf R, would consider the cars performance and handling to be brilliant.
For the other 10% - they want more power AND better handling.
I rest my case !.
You can’t please all of the people, all of the time.
Only some of the people, some of the time.
We are all different people, wanting different things.
Other wise we would be all driving the same car in the same colour o_O.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
It’s an OPTION not a necessity.
Personal choice plays its part.
Example, 90% of the people who buy a Golf R, would consider the cars performance and handling to be brilliant.
For the other 10% - they want more power AND better handling.
I rest my case !.
You can’t please all of the people, all of the time.
Only some of the people, some of the time.
We are all different people, wanting different things.
Other wise we would be all driving the same car in the same colour o_O.
I realise that it’s optional, but the same people raving about what a bargain the car is then post about all the mods they’re doing to the car. :)

·
Journeyman Human
445 Posts
I realise that it’s optional, but the same people raving about what a bargain the car is then post about all the mods they’re doing to the car. :)
The car IS superb as it is, especially for it's price point. Different people also prioritise different things and even very high end cars get modified! In my case, I drive like grandpa so the standard suspension seems excellent to me, but I'm sure Mike's is better. Neither do I care about the lack of rear interior lighting as the rear seat will almost never be used! But I do want an auto dimming rear mirror, Outside temperature read out and front fog lights, so will be retro fitting these things.

Some of us take great pleasure in modifying our cars, it's a pleasurable distraction, no need to get snippy about it! lol!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Handling is one of these areas that the manufacturer takes a punt on and hopes it suits most people.

I had a Subaru Forester turbo - beast of a car, but the handling set-up was overly safe tending to understeer under pressure.

One stiffer rear anti-roll bar later and it became noticeably more neutral round a tight roundabout - the trade-off was a teeny bit more firmness over bumpy tracks (and £120 for the ARB...)

With respect to Tesla, I have driven a Model S 75D on springs and a 90D on air suspension - I felt the 75D was a significantly better handling car - I still don't know if that was the suspension or being 100kg or so lighter - I suspect the springs probably.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts