Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To avoid it getting lost or missed by those interested, I thought it warranted a new thread.

It is rather light on detail and to me sounds a bit like a VW puff piece, but (IMO) most of the motoring media pander to all the (high advert spending) German marques.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
To avoid it getting lost or missed by those interested, I thought it warranted a new thread.

Worrying amount of negatives for a "first drive".

However, it’s not a perfect debut for the upcoming ID line-up. Cheap interior materials, missing functions from launch and the continued absence of the cheaper 45kWh version mean that the ID.3 has some areas to address in order to deliver its promises in full.
From launch, British buyers will only be offered the 1st Edition Plus version of the ID.3 - set to be priced from around £39,000 before any government incentives, but with one or two features missing from day one. Software updates for features such as the head-up-display parking assistance and smartphone app connectivity will be available to download not long after the first cars hit the road.
Fast recharging can be achieved at speeds up to 100kW, enabling around 180 miles of battery power replenished in half an hour. It’s a standard feature on the 58kWh 1st Edition, but cheaper versions will likely be capped at a 50kW charge rate
those coming from a petrol hatchback like the Golf may feel the extra body roll in corners. Adaptive dampers will be available at some point in the ID.3’s life and may address this. Similarly, VW says the steering will improve with a progressive setup that reduces the amount of input needed to make tight turns.
The 1st Edition buyers will love it but clearly VW have a lot left to deliver.

·
Registered
501 Posts
From launch, British buyers will only be offered the 1st Edition Plus version of the ID.3 - set to be priced from around £39,000 before any government incentives, but with one or two features missing from day one. Software updates for features such as the head-up-display parking assistance and smartphone app connectivity will be available to download not long after the first cars hit the road.
The HUD is only on the ‘Max’... so not on any UK 1st Edition cars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The HUD is only on the ‘Max’... so not on any UK 1st Edition cars.
In Portugal we were only getting the 1st and the 1st Plus, however as I will make my final order this week they have informed me that there are 20 Max cars available if I want to upgrade. Perhaps the UK will get the Max also. The Portuguese catalogue does not contain the Max.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As the Max was not an option on the UK I don't think they would have made any as right hand drive. So unless the Max's have been made RHD for other markets at launch it will be unlikely any will be offered in UK. To have Max models being offered in a market that it was not destined for does not bode well for the top of the range car, obviously not as desirable.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
260 Posts
As the Max was not an option on the UK I don't think they would have made any as right hand drive. So unless the Max's have been made RHD for other markets at launch it will be unlikely any will be offered in UK. To have Max models being offered in a market that it was not destined for does not bode well for the top of the range car, obviously not as desirable.
I think they're offering the Max in Ireland so it's not impossible?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The ID3 should have been the new Golf. As it is, it's far too expensive, questionable styling and odd colour combinations, bug ridden, confusing spec levels and just not up the the standard of rivals. Sure, they will fix it, but by that time rivals will have moved on even further. I am really disappointed, as I originally planned to get one. Its a big leap for VW, but they have fallen short.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The ID3 should have been the new Golf. As it is, it's far too expensive, questionable styling and odd colour combinations, bug ridden, confusing spec levels and just not up the the standard of rivals. Sure, they will fix it, but by that time rivals will have moved on even further. I am really disappointed, as I originally planned to get one. Its a big leap for VW, but they have fallen short.
I did a comparison between a Golf 8 and an ID.3 at the same price, the ID.3 comes out on top watch it here:

The ID.3 is more minimalistic to cut down on weight to increase range similar to a Tesla Model 3, this may not be to your taste. The ID.3 is very competitive and I do not think anything comes close to it on price.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do you think they actually drove the car for longer than 10 minutes? Obviously it wasn't a finished care either. Most of the 'review' reads like a spec sheet, with the odd personal note thrown in to make it read more like a review.

I'm annoyed at how wrong VW have gotten this car so far, not the car itself, but the whole getting it to market properly, and with the volume and pricing they originally promised. If they had any faith in the car they'd have it in the hands of the YouTube reviewers and letting them loose for days on end with one to show how awesome it is, clearly they are not confident it is awesome, maybe just adequate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No edition of the ID3 (that has been announced) is a hot hatch, and neither is the Golf R Line. A hot Golf would need to be at least the GTI, rumoured to be around 30k for the MK8). For the ID3, the power figure is getting there, and acceleration will be impressive, but has too much weight, skinny tyres and soft suspension to handle properly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you think they actually drove the car for longer than 10 minutes?
I'm still waiting for a definitive YouTube review from someone like Autogefühl. I'm really disappointed that at this very late stage VW don't seem to be letting this happen.
(For the record, I cancelled my ID3 reservation a few week ago.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm still waiting for a definitive YouTube review from someone like Autogefühl The fact that at this very late stage VW don't seem to be letting this happen is a bit concerning.
(for the record, I cancelled my ID3 reservation a few week ago)
I am not sure this is a very late stage. The car has literally been delayed 6 months, only 15,000 "1st movers" will get the car in September and then other people will get the car at the end of the year. The normal ID.3 will only be available at the beginning of 2021. You will see lots of "1st movers" giving reviews of the their cars on youtube in September including myself. Why would Volkswagen let an unfinished car be reviewed?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No edition of the ID3 (that has been announced) is a hot hatch, and neither is the Golf R Line. A hot Golf would need to be at least the GTI, rumoured to be around 30k for the MK8). For the ID3, the power figure is getting there, and acceleration will be impressive, but has too much weight, skinny tyres and soft suspension to handle properly.
To me the ID.3 1st seems pretty hot, I have never owned a hatchback with so much power. The Golf R Line is exactly the same price as the ID.3 1st, and the ID.3 1st beats it on almost all metrics. The Golf GTI is currently not available in Portugal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cementing the thoughts that this thread is based on a marketing idea rather than an actual review.
Exactly this was not an actual review. However it is interesting to get their limited view, as there is not too much information on the internet currently around the ID.3. I guess most people want to know the 90 kph and 120 kph range test, charging speed and the 1000 km challenge to get a better idea of the car. I certainly do :)

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
I cancelled my ID3 reservation last year and purchased an e-Golf to tide me over until either the ID3 was fully launched and mature or other stuff was available.

I take Auto Express ‘road tests’ with a bag of salt, not sure why anybody still buys it, and I’ll make up my own mind when they’re available for test drive.

I don’t expect it to drive like a Golf GTI, as it isn’t one, but I will expect it to be well screwed together, do the advertised range, be competitively priced and be easy to own.

Styling is subjective, you either like it or you don’t.

The fact some people seem to be disappointed shows how little the EV sector as a whole has moved on. Still too few models and still not enough supply.

I’m pleased I took the plunge and have done 21k BEV miles whilst VW has been trying to get its s£?t in a sock, but I’m still looking forward to seeing the finished article.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I will expect it to be well screwed together, do the advertised range, be competitively priced and be easy to own.
I am quite sure for all of these things that you mention that even for the 1st Movers this will be the case. I expect a good drive train, rear wheel drive and 200hp :). I think where they are having problems is with all the unnecessary extras. All I need from the car is for it to be comfortable, electric, hatchback, 250 km range at motorway speed, reasonable charging speed, bluetooth and air conditioning. The rest is just stuff I do not need but would like, so I am perfectly happy to wait for app connect and other stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did a comparison between a Golf 8 and an ID.3 at the same price, the ID.3 comes out on top watch it here:

The ID.3 is more minimalistic to cut down on weight to increase range similar to a Tesla Model 3, this may not be to your taste. The ID.3 is very competitive and I do not think anything comes close to it on price.
I can't watch videos in daytime, did you actually drive a production ID.3? I am not sure any comparison is worthwhile until both cars can be driven and real world comparisons made. Armchair comparisons don't have much value in my book.

Reactions: pilotwoo and JohnK

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't watch videos in daytime, did you actually drive a production ID.3? I am not sure any comparison is worthwhile until both cars can be driven and real world comparisons made. Armchair comparisons don't have much value in my book.
As is clearly stated I have never driven any electric car, so it is an armchair comparison :). The channel is about a journey I am on of moving from a petrol car to an electric car, for many buyers it is quite normal to do spec comparisons without actually driving the cars before making a decision.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As an Autocar subscriber I read their review of the ID3 this week. They did a fairly extensive test and found it to be really nice to drive with a good handling and ride balance, crisp steering, and really low noise levels.
They described it as punchy up to around 70mph too.

The only real minus noted was the obvious cost saving on the interior, hard plastics are to be found in the lower cabin apparently.
Sounds like a fun car to punt down a B road though, a fairly rare thing . Should give the model 3 some competition on that score.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts