Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
So great car, shame about the infotainment and control points. And there’s some cheap plastics.

Improve the software and bring the cheap versions out and all is good.

Good to see the approach with leather alternatives. It shouldn’t be possible to buy a car with leather in 2020 when there are so many decent alternatives.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Great!
Now let the early adopters have their 1st Editions and we can see VW continue to deliver on their promises.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I’ve been reading about cheap plastics in VW group cars since the Mk IV Golf, and whilst it’s true that materials have changed and cost cutting has been deployed, how many times after the initial ‘euch, look, scratchy plastics’ feel do you carry on touching?

As long as the things you touch are more tactile, I don’t see a problem.

My Dad moaned like buggery at the apparent poorer build quality when he changed his Merc W124 for a more modern Mercedes, but the latter was a much better vehicle to be in.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I’ve been reading about cheap plastics in VW group cars since the Mk IV Golf, and whilst it’s true that materials have changed and cost cutting has been deployed, how many times after the initial ‘euch, look, scratchy plastics’ feel do you carry on touching?

As long as the things you touch are more tactile, I don’t see a problem.

My Dad moaned like buggery at the apparent poorer build quality when he changed his Merc W124 for a more modern Mercedes, but the latter was a much better vehicle to be in.
I think it’s the kind of air of quality it gives, even if you touch them only briefly. If you compare those ID3 door cards to the ones on the Mk7 Golf I’ve just sold they seem cheap. The entire upper door card on the Mk7 Golf is all soft touch/high quality, whereas this just looks like a standard hard ABS/ASA. They could be claiming “recycled materials” like they do with ice cream box interior on the Prius though...so probably worth the trade off.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went for the polestar over this and the model 3. Hope I don't regret it 😕
I don't think you will. Given the choice, I'd go for the Polestar as well. This looks like a competent car, but I think VW have messed up on some of the interior design details in an attempt to cut costs. Some of those controls are just unnecessarily convoluted and seem to have poor ergonomics. The software also needs to improve.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There's a lot I really like about the id3. I wonder if he was being harsh on the intuitive aspects. e.g. I wouldn't expect to change the mirrors while driving. Be interesting when people get to test drive it

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,638 Posts
There's a lot I really like about the id3. I wonder if he was being harsh on the intuitive aspects. e.g. I wouldn't expect to change the mirrors while driving. Be interesting when people get to test drive it
There are lots of test drives (sadly most in German) coming out now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've just committed to an ID 1st edition and am expecting delivery mid to late September. Pleasantly surprised when they gave me £12,700 px on my MY15 GTE.
The interior doesn't worry me to much and I am quite pleased that the driving experience appears to be a good one.
The software issues are a disappointment, but they have the chance to put that right when the OTA updates become available. All I can do now is wait for it to arrive, and see if it lives up to expectations.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've just committed to an ID 1st edition and am expecting delivery mid to late September. Pleasantly surprised when they gave me £12,700 px on my MY15 GTE.
The interior doesn't worry me to much and I am quite pleased that the driving experience appears to be a good one.
The software issues are a disappointment, but they have the chance to put that right when the OTA updates become available. All I can do now is wait for it to arrive, and see if it lives up to expectations.
I think the software issue is a more fundamental one than what patches can fix. Sure, they’ll sort out the missing stuff once they’ve ironed out the bugs (e.g. Car Play etc.) but what probably won’t change is the UX design and responsiveness + update policy. Traditional car makers are a step behind Tesla. Polestar had the right idea going for the full Google system, It might be a while before the others have the humility to do the same.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,638 Posts
I think the software issue is a more fundamental one than what patches can fix. Sure, they’ll sort out the missing stuff once they’ve ironed out the bugs (e.g. Car Play etc.) but what probably won’t change is the UX design and responsiveness + update policy. Traditional car makers are a step behind Tesla. Polestar had the right idea going for the full Google system, It might be a while before the others have the humility to do the same.
And how do you know? Have you tested the UX in person? Or the update?

From the reviews that I have been watching all day, the infotainment system looks very good, polished and so far I haven't seen a single issue. Unless you can offer something different, I would go on what I have seen.

·
Registered
593 Posts
And how do you know? Have you tested the UX in person? Or the update?

From the reviews that I have been watching all day, the infotainment system looks very good, polished and so far I haven't seen a single issue. Unless you can offer something different, I would go on what I have seen.
Obviously not, but I think it’s pretty obvious to see from looking at this review (and others) that it is behind it that respect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s compared to the model 3 as currently that’s the benchmark everyone needs to achieve or overtake. It’s also not that far off in price compared to the standard range plus once you factor in the expensive finance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Everybody here is focusing on the negatives, he said in terms of hardware it is amazing and if not the best/one of the best EVs currently available for hardware. Compact, extremely fun to drive, great acceleration with amazing steering. The buttons are a concern, but not the end of the world. As far as the software, it seems it much better than I had expected after all the negative stories. If you watch this review with English subtitles he is extremely impressed with the "autopilot" feature of the Max, it seems to work perfectly and he does not have his hands on the wheel, very impressive.

I was also impressed with the intelligent regeneration feature. I think that people who have cancelled their orders will be slightly jealous of those who did not. The car seems much better than I had expected, and VW have done an amazing job. I am incredibly happy, bring on September!

·
Registered
178 Posts
It’s compared to the model 3 as currently that’s the benchmark everyone needs to achieve or overtake. It’s also not that far off in price compared to the standard range plus once you factor in the expensive finance.
After these reviews, I am not disappointed that I did not go for a Model 3. The ID.3 has some advantages over the Model 3 including comfort, quietness of the cabin and fun factor on European roads.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts