Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a lot of people know this, but according to the LEAF manual you can set the air recirculation to automatic by holding the button until the light flashes twice.

Does anyone know whether this setting persists after the car is switched off and back on? For that matter, do we know what contaminants might trigger the auto mode? How about NOx? PM10? PM2.5?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I didn't know that, but I've noticed that in my car the air recirculation switches on when it's warm outside and I have the air-con on. I assumed it was trying to save energy by recycling cooler internal air that needed less cooling to reach the set temperature. After a while it switches off.

Maybe something else is controlling it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that, but I've noticed that in my car the air recirculation switches on when it's warm outside and I have the air-con on. I assumed it was trying to save energy by recycling cooler internal air that needed less cooling to reach the set temperature. After a while it switches off.

Maybe something else is controlling it.
Now you mention it, maybe that's all that's meant by automatic. I was thinking of my old BMW 5-Series, which switched to recirculation in response to dirty air.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My Golf GTD was supposed to have the 'air quality sensor' and react accordingly with the recirculation, but I found it next to useless as it was far too slow to react..that's if it ever reacted at all.

When you've just got behind a heavy footed aging transit van accelerating hard with plumes of soot coming out the back, I'd rather trust my eyes than the 'auto' recirculation and get it on ASAP.

Plus, if it's already detected it, it's probably already too late as the contaminants are in the system already..

Edit: This goes for VW's 'automatic' high beam too. Always a fraction too slow in detecting oncoming vehicles for my liking and have to override it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I assume you mean on the Golf? The Leaf doesn't have this feature does it?
Sorry yes, this is on the Golf. Edited for clarity :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts