Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby got hurt :cry:. Wheel scrubbers missed the wheels! Both sides. Needless to say, I won't be using an automatic car wash again.
DSC_0472png.png
DSC_0470 png.png

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yer can't beat a bucket and sponge....

I'd have gone ballistic if that happened to me, will deffo never go near an auto carwash now! Hope you get it sorted soon @Roger W

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,296 Posts
Ow! :mad:

I used to take an old BX into the car wash because it came free with a certain amount of fuel (the car wash, not the BX), which just about matched the time it took to burn that much! I wouldn't dream of taking a new car into one, or handing one over to someone else.

Who gives their cars to these guys in supermarket car parks? They really annoy me, think they own the car park.

Oh, yeah, I also don't have time to clean my cars these days either which means they are, err, a bit on the dirty side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The lacquer that's on your wheels is no different to the lacquer on your wheels so even if the car wash had got it right you'd still have the same damage, it would just be less noticeable.

I'll be sticking with a bucket and sponge as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Roger W
Yep - back to the two bucket method for me, either that or get the company to pay for a valet every now and then!!

@mgboyes - yeah, not even close, guess computer said no!

Although it polished out relatively well, the rest of the car needed machine polishing to match so costs were higher than I originally thought. Mind you after 11 months & 25k miles the car looks like new again so maybe I'll just carry on using a car wash!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fifth gear rated the automatic wash as the least damaging to your car paintwork.
Like any of the methods I guess it depends on how clean the equipment is to start with. A new sponge/wash mitt will scratch like buggery if it isn't rinsed during washing. My advice - don't buy black cars, don't follow a tractor through a car wash and always always keep your receipt.

·
Registered
769 Posts

I'd have gone ballistic if that happened to me, will deffo never go near an auto carwash now! Hope you get it sorted soon @Roger W
It's the method I use, start with the cleanest areas and leave the muddy sills till last, that way you are not rubbing grit into the paint.

·
Registered
886 Posts
i'm washing my car in the rain with a bucket and sponge :)

the rain rinses most of the dirt off and after me applying the soap the same rain rinses the soap off :cool:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Try saying that on Detailing World......the pitchforks will be out!

Sponges are so 1990s. They inflict swirls.

The sentiment is correct though....'yer can't beat a microfibre wash mitt and bucket', or if we're being really pedantic 'yer can't beat a microfibre wash mitt and 2BM' :p

·
The best there is at what I do
10,627 Posts
I get mine done by a local hand car wash place, it's full of eastern European types and they do a brilliant job, they start by pressure washing to get all the grit etc off before shampooing down and pressure washing to rinse then it's dried off, they do a fantastic job, much better and quicker than I can do.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I use the local hand car wash, they have a team of expert car cleaners assembled from the four corners of the world seemingly chosen for their individual skill sets for a specific cleaning method or part of the car. They descend upon the car in a manner reminisant of a F1 pit stop and I have to say do a remarkably good job for 4 quid.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I use the local hand car wash, they have a team of expert car cleaners assembled from the four corners of the world seemingly chosen for their individual skill sets for a specific cleaning method or part of the car. They descend upon the car in a manner reminisant of a F1 pit stop and I have to say do a remarkably good job for 4 quid.
Is this the one? ;)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You do know that the majority of these hand car washes, often springing up in old petrol stations are illegal?

They don't have water reclamation and filtration systems. For whatever reason (possibly resources) they tend to get left alone.

Leeds City Council 'doing nothing' to curb illegal car washes - BBC News

I thought you lot were concerned about the environment ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts