Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I find that the automatic headlights come on when it's still light and don't switch off. Or they switch on when I go through a tunnel and then stay on far too long. The next day all works fine again. Has anyone seen this? Any idea if this could be a hardware or a software failure?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having had a golf, A6 and e-class with automatic headlights I agree that the Kia aren't the best. Quite a lot of lag, some hysteresis and sometimes detects reflection off road signs and so on. Not useless, but could do better. It's mosyl software I think, but the light detection might not be the best hardware.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is, it works pretty well most days, but sometimes for no apparent reason it just decides to switch the lights on in board daylight or refuses to turn them off after leaving a tunnel. The fact that it is intermittent makes me think it is software indeed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Agreed, note that less expensive cars have less well developed software, and slower processors, and lower resolution sensors. I have found the same thing with the auto headlights, and the auto high beam systems.

Greg

·
Registered
251 Posts
Every now and then I find that the automatic headlights come on when it's still light and don't switch off. Or they switch on when I go through a tunnel and then stay on far too long. The next day all works fine again. Has anyone seen this? Any idea if this could be a hardware or a software failure?
I don't know where the photocell sensor is located, but could it be that it is partially obscured?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
899 Posts
I don't know where the photocell sensor is located, but could it be that it is partially obscured?
I assume it uses the forward facing camera in the rear view mirror assembly? Screen deposits could presumably upset it? I have found the auto headlights to be virtually useless. They dip quick enough with oncoming vehicles. But street lights etc also cause non required dipping. Then after the trigger it takes far too long to resume full beam. I never use it, always use manual mode. For me it’s a total never to use feature.
Peter

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was referring to the low-beam headlights coming on during daylight. The sensor is not obscured, since in that case it would be consistent.

And I must say auto high-beam on my car works pretty satisfactorily. It's not perfect, but pretty good and I find it more relaxing than having to dip manually.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have noticed that the auto head lights do not come on in damp or misty conditions, and I would also like them to come on when the wipers are going.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was referring to the low-beam headlights coming on during daylight
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the low beam coming on prematurely, it is of no detriment as long as other road users are not dazzled, I consider it as an aid to road safety. Not coming on at all would be more of a concern particularly if one becomes reliant upon it's operation.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the low beam coming on prematurely, it is of no detriment as long as other road users are not dazzled, I consider it as an aid to road safety. Not coming on at all would be more of a concern particularly if one becomes reliant upon it's operation.
Yes, better too much than too little. But I would like them to work consistently. First world issue, I know, just curious if my car is quirky or if it is a general thingy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have noticed that the auto head lights do not come on in damp or misty conditions, and I would also like them to come on when the wipers are going.
I guess that the sensor is reliant upon ambient light levels and not visibility, so it wouldn't operate based upon low visibility such as mist.

Perhaps with the new camera technology that is being utilised and developed for self driving technology the auto headlights could be incorporated into the detection system.

Operation of low beam headlights when the wipers are in use is another good idea which could easily be implemented. It should of course only work when the wipers are constantly operating not when in delay mode otherwise we would have headlights being flashed randomly..... which would be very confusing in the UK where flashing headlights is (incorrectly) implied to mean "I'm giving you right of way" 😮🥴

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, better too much than too little. But I would like them to work consistently. First world issue, I know, just curious if my car is quirky or if it is a general thingy.
Yes, definitely a source of annoyance when equipment works irrationally...... just like my toaster which, despite having been around for decades, STILL can't pop-up when it should 🤬🥴

...... and then there is the suggestion that we will have self-driving cars 😮 very worrying😟😳

Reactions: Xinix
1 - 12 of 12 Posts