Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took delivery of our UK car a week ago, and finally tested the lights tonight.

In 'normal' mode i.e. headlights on but the 'auto' full beam off, we had full control of dip/high beam via the stalk as per conventional operation. By toggling the wheel switch to Auto the
illuminates and the car takes full control of the high beam and flicking the stalk has no effect. The car detects both traffic in front of me and oncoming vehicles and adjusts the beam as necessary. It does NOT switch from full to dip beam in the conventional sense but only adjusts the field of the full beam where it detects the other vehicle so it is not dazzled. Therefore hedges either side of the road remain in full beam, and when the vehicle has passed the area of full beam previously deactivated comes back on. It takes a bit of getting used to but seems very effective! Other countries are reporting that this system does not work, so it is clearly country specific. The 'follow the bend' system works fine.

In general terms the lights are extremely powerful and bright. Ours may need slight adjustment as we did get flashed twice. We also noted a dull spot in our field of view about 15m in front of the car. but all in all, very impressed! My only concern is that if/when this system goes wrong it may cost a fortune to rectify!

·
Registered
299 Posts
There are very few moving parts compared to previous generation adaptive headlights which were almost entirely electromechanical - so I think reliability shouldn't be a concern.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like they took the system out of the Volvo, and that has been around for a while, so wouldn't expect it to that high a failure rate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts