Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had this and/or found a cure?

One of the wing mirrors on our LEAF creaks very loudly on open and close. It's taken quite a slick feature and made it a running joke in the family.

Any tips on where I need to apply some 3-in-1 or whatever to stop this niggle?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not 3 in 1 or WD40 as the oil may attack the plastic. Try Furniture polish as a lubricant first.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
Silicone lubricant is your friend.
WD-40 not so hot for this as its more a water dispersant.
Do both sides while you're at it!

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
Get a can of the stuff with a thin straw-like attachment. Anywhere you think there is sliding contact between surfaces. I use it on motorbike levers, and it usually works it's way into where it's needed.

·
Super Moderator
882 Posts
Creaking mirrors are a 'feature' on Freelanders too, and I suspect many other types of car.
Perhaps LEAFers should do the squirty trick as preventative maintenance?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,743 Posts
Are you sure it's not an audible warning, (they've run out of beeps and bongs so put in a creak) to make sure you keep your hands no where near the mirrors when they fold?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of the blue at some point last year one of our wing mirrors starting making a noise like a comedy horror door closing when you retract it or put it back out via the switch on the door handle.

When the car was in the LEAF steering recall inspection I asked if they could take a look (Glyn Hopkins Milton Keynes again BTW).

Had a call to say it's all been authorised, so I'm booked for a replacement wing mirror all under warranty. Once again not an issue they'd seen before!

I'm sure I mentioned this before but my speakevsearch-fu isn't working.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Merged my own threads. :oops:

Wing mirror replaced today, now the new one is quicker to fold in and out than the older driver's side unit. That could be maddening if I can't learn to ignore it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this problem and fixed it with some basic maintenance spray (Halfords’ version of WD40 I think). This is what you need to do:

1. Take the mirrors off:
To do this you just need to angle the mirror using the mirror controls as far out and down as possible and pop off the two tabs you can see with a small flathead (there’s two more underneath but it will come off after removing two):

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire

2. Pull off the mirror, it should come off easily with a little tug:

Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting

3. Using a spray with a straw attachment or a long jet, spray liberally down the hole above the folding mechanism:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

4. Push the mirror back on with a click and enjoy the new sound!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I had this problem and fixed it with some basic maintenance spray (Halfords’ version of WD40 I think). This is what you need to do:

1. Take the mirrors off:
To do this you just need to angle the mirror using the mirror controls as far out and down as possible and pop off the two tabs you can see with a small flathead (there’s two more underneath but it will come off after removing two):

View attachment 155714

2. Pull off the mirror, it should come off easily with a little tug:

View attachment 155715

3. Using a spray with a straw attachment or a long jet, sorry liberally down the hole above the folding mechanism:

View attachment 155717

4. Push the mirror back on with a click and enjoy the new sound!
Great write up but not sure I’d be brave enough for fear of breaking something. Fortunately no horrible noises from my mirrors, yet, lol! Cheers

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,956 Posts
I didn't bother to remove the mirror. Just poked the small red straw of a WD40 can in the gap between the mirror and frame at the hinge end and then moved the can to spray all around in that area. Worked OK. And as a bonus evicted the resident spider that spun a web from the mirror to the car every day.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,180 Posts
I didn't bother to remove the mirror. Just poked the small red straw of a WD40 can in the gap between the mirror and frame at the hinge end and then moved the can to spray all around in that area. Worked OK. And as a bonus evicted the resident spider that spun a web from the mirror to the car every day.
AGREED! No need to take mirrors off at all!

Although I will disagree with the WD40 as its a degreaser not a lubricant - I personally used WD40 Brand Silicone spray over 12 months ago - sprayed it all behind the mirror and no squeaks or issues since!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts