Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I don't have FSD.

I have a model 3 with big standard AP, but far from being a selling point of the car, personally it's one of the aspects I'm disappointed in.

1) Random hard deceleration. It doesn't feel like braking, but it does feel like full regen. This has happened in different weathers but does seem to be related to other vehicles coming in the other direction and a standard two way a road.

2) Hard acceleration after the random brake. The car works out there was nothing wrong so back to max speed we go.

3) Taking into account the speed of cars overtaking you. if I am in inside lane, indicate and pull out to follow another car, ap doesn't seem to take into account the speed of vehicles, so pulling out to overtake can cause the car to brake if the car you are trying to follow hasn't cleared the car you are overtaking. Feels like a lack of refinement in follow distance intelligence and they just made the cars collision boxes longer.

4) Speed control. If I am following another car and it is inconsistent with its own speed control it heavily affects the Tesla, with hard deceleration and hard acceleration, coupled with point 3 about hard follow collision boxes, AP doesn't seem to have a middle ground of use less acceleration or coast, create a follow distance buffer to allow some speed refinement.

5) chill mode for AP

I have loved AP in heavy slow traffic, but this lack of refinement in TASCC/AP makes me feel true FSD is alot further away than I thought.

Do you guys ok with AP and speed control? Do you get phantom braking? What do you think about it's motorway follow refinement?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the full AP. I have similar problems to you, judging by what I read on the UK Tesla Facebook page, many people do.

It's real use is on the motorway, I don't do much motorway driving. When I have AP on there I feel like I have to concentrate a lot more, keeping an eye on everything in case I have to take over.
If there's barely any traffic on the motorway it's brilliant.

Maybe if I spent more time learning the system I'd get more out of it. I am always worried about the drivers behind me.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
It’s not yet intended for use on A roads, it tells you this in the manual.

I also disengage it in complex scenarios. It’s fun to see what it can do but remember that the FSD version of the software hasn’t been released yet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What car distance have you set yours to?
I find that the greater the distance i.e 4 cars + the better it seems to work, however it’s still worse off compared to my Golf R ACC system with worked pretty much flawlessly.
Hopefully Tesla improve Autopilot, I avoided FSD for now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find limited use for autopilot in the UK. I also decided not to go FSD. I find it works well in start stop traffic. Duel carriageways and motorways is okay but if you remain in the outside lane, you catch up with lorries and slow traffic, having to then manually change lanes to overtake is a pain. In busy motorway conditions I hog the middle lane instead. From time to time when overtaking a lorry (whilst using ap in the middle lane) the car brakes for no reason. I know if I went fsd, lane change is included but I agree Autopilot has got a much more challenging environment compared to the US and even most of Europe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It’s not yet intended for use on A roads, it tells you this in the manual.
Points 3+4 were motorway exclusive, I've not overtaken on an A road and it's where I've used TASCC/ap 95% of the time.

Points 1+2 are relevant and I've on experienced on motorways, especially the follow refinement (basic TASCC).2 days ago on M20 from Ashford to Maidstone in faux hard shoulder (now smart motorway, seen everywhere) the car had blue line guiding the way but panicked, braked and started turning off at Hollingbourne. No one near me, 50mph, good bright road markings and certainly not a complex scenario.

What car distance have you set yours to?
I find that the greater the distance i.e 4 cars + the better it seems to work, however it’s still worse off compared to my Golf R ACC system with worked pretty much flawlessly.
Hopefully Tesla improve Autopilot, I avoided FSD for now.
I was on 4 but found the hard follow distance issue too annoying. The car Infront slows down, instead of coasting at some distance I'm already braking.

I've actually set it closer now and just take control earlier instead of looking like one of those people that brake everytime a car gets near them.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Points 1+2 are relevant and I've on experienced on motorways, especially the follow refinement (basic TASCC).2 days ago on M20 from Ashford to Maidstone in faux hard shoulder (now smart motorway, seen everywhere) the car had blue line guiding the way but panicked, braked and started turning off at Hollingbourne. No one near me, 50mph, good bright road markings and certainly not a complex scenario.
I did M20 Ashford to Maidstone last weekend and it behaved OK for me, that said - expect unexpected things especially on any construction, driving on the hard shoulder, temporary lines, super narrow lanes, etc. all do not help at all, not surprised if it took a turn-off. That particular stretch has been awful (construction wise) for too long!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have FSD and have similar experiences to those already mentioned. The first time I tried AP was on the M40 the day after I got the car and it wouldn't stay engaged for more than a minute in free flowing traffic. So I gave up using it for a while. A 1000 miles later I tried it again on my journey to work which is 30 miles of A roads mostly in the countryside and no dual carriageways. I was able to use AP for 75% of the journey, helping it now and again when it wasn't going to steer around road works or traffic calming, or recognise speed limit increases. It even managed to negotiate a 90 degree bend on a 50 mph road, slowing to around 30 mph to do so. HOWEVER, I found it rather stressful when speeds rose above 30 mph as there isn't much time to react at higher speeds when the AP gives up.

In general it is most use in stop/start driving in town or on the motorway, but then TACC is almost as good, just doesn't steer.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
I found it rather stressful when speeds rose above 30 mph as there isn't much time to react at higher speeds when the AP gives up.
Exactly: for a function that is billed as "Driver assistance" it creates more stress than my taking control myself.. I tend to reserve it for fairly empty roads where I am looking for a little extra intellectual entertainment...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exactly: for a function that is billed as "Driver assistance" it creates more stress than my taking control myself.. I tend to reserve it for fairly empty roads where I am looking for a little extra intellectual entertainment...
I agree. Also AP useful when taking your eyes off the road to change settings on the screen

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use AP everyday on the M40. Its ok but not as good as my 7 year old V60 with radar for judging speed right now.

Ghost braking is really off putting.

Sometimes it undertakes and other times it correctly refuses.

Really hates wet roads with bright sunlight. Don't even try it! I've had a few moments where it scares the crap out you when it loses track.

Watch out for road marking left behind after roadworks too, the pads left behind for glued down pillars cause AP to take an unexpected detour.

Tends to slowly isolate on straight roads from left to right.

Deadband to the sides is very tight which causes un necessary hunting and can get scared if a vehicle even slightly begins to approach from the side.

Never EVER knows a car that's indicating is going to move into the nice space you have left, accelerating to close the gap and then has to break hard.

Great in stop start traffic which for me is most days....

I too tend to disengage early if I predict hazards and today I am glad I did when a total douche moved from middle to outside lane without looking and missed me only because I took avoiding action. His car was so steamed up if he had of looked he would not have seen a thing. AP didn't even react to the event and I missed him by a foot at most.

Tesla certainly has a long way to go. I don't think the centre console and wheel will be unplugged for a few years yet despite plans for full autonomy.

Im gonna grab the video from my near miss tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
I use AP everyday on the M40. Its ok but not as good as my 7 year old V60 with radar for judging speed right now.

Ghost braking is really off putting.

Sometimes it undertakes and other times it correctly refuses.

Really hates wet roads with bright sunlight. Don't even try it! I've had a few moments where it scares the crap out you when it loses track.

Watch out for road marking left behind after roadworks too, the pads left behind for glued down pillars cause AP to take an unexpected detour.

Tends to slowly isolate on straight roads from left to right.

Deadband to the sides is very tight which causes un necessary hunting and can get scared if a vehicle even slightly begins to approach from the side.

Never EVER knows a car that's indicating is going to move into the nice space you have left, accelerating to close the gap and then has to break hard.

Great in stop start traffic which for me is most days....

I too tend to disengage early if I predict hazards and today I am glad I did when a total douche moved from middle to outside lane without looking and missed me only because I took avoiding action. His car was so steamed up if he had of looked he would not have seen a thing. AP didn't even react to the event and I missed him by a foot at most.

Tesla certainly has a long way to go. I don't think the centre console and wheel will be unplugged for a few years yet despite plans for full autonomy.

Im gonna grab the video from my near miss tomorrow morning.
But I was planning to finance my whole retirement by hiring my car out as a robotaxi on Elon's schedule..! :oops:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wouldn't judge how far they are progressing based on the system we are currently running. Neural net programming eats a HUGE amount of processing time. I would assume we're running a completely different fork of the FSD one they are actually working on, with the occasional improvement thrown in to keep people content. The company they recently acquired, has tricks to speed learning up by a factor of 1000 in some instances, and improvements should be exponential. I'm hoping for some fairly impressive improvements by midway through next year.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn't judge how far they are progressing based on the system we are currently running. Neural net programming eats a HUGE amount of processing time. I would assume we're running a completely different fork of the FSD one they are actually working on, with the occasional improvement thrown in to keep people content. The company they recently acquired, has tricks to speed learning up by a factor of 1000 in some instances, and improvements should be exponential. I'm hoping for some fairly impressive improvements by midway through next year.
Elon said during the earnings call that FSD for early access program (probably US only) should be released feature complete before the end of the year. (search for "access" in the transcript).

·
Registered
931 Posts
It’s an old argument I’ve heard for nearly 3 years that the version in cars is way beh8nd what they have in the lab. It could be... but when releases put the car backwards in capability at times and Tesla wanting to run things in shadow mode, I suspects it’s exactly the same with the exception of the extra features that may exist being inactive with respect to taking control, they’ll still be there determining what they’d do and comparing that to the driver.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,109 Posts
I've started to use the navigate on AP and found that at a junction on my commute it will move into the slip road later than I would have done and once over the lane departure line it weaves about trying to centralise itself between the outer edge markings. This weaving I am putting it down to the fact that on the slip road it is a single lane which widens into two lanes before the centre dividing line is starts on the road so the car thinks it is an extremely wide 'lane' as opposed to a lane widening before it is divided. When using Autosteer I have also noticed that when using it on an A class road where there is a lay-by without any markings the car will swerve into the lay-by slightly and then pull back out just as the layby ends and the 'lane' is down to normal road width. I know its not designed for the type of road I was on but I was just checking my theory about how the car seems to position itself about the middle of the lane, irrespective of width.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have now started to put myself dead centre of the lane before beginning auto-steer otherwise it centres you at an alarming pace. To other drivers you would look drunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have now started to put myself dead centre of the lane before beginning auto-steer otherwise it centres you at an alarming pace. To other drivers you would look drunk.
It is so annoying, especially with AP as you have to keep engaging and disengaging it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts