Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed a big trend for EVs (and non-EV for that matter) to be ditching 3.5mm auxiliary inputs.

On an EV like Tesla I understand no one has ever managed to add an aux-in aftermarket. But I wonder if anyone thinks it’s possible to add aux-in to other EV like the Audi/Merc/Jaguar/Ford/Volvo.

The Kona (2018/19) and Niro (First edition) did have aux-in but they too have now cancelled them. Could aux-in be retrofitted in these???
Would be interested to hear especially from anyone who has actually managed it or has actual knowledge rather than speculation. Thanks

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
What are you actually trying to achieve? Because if it's to turn the car into a big speaker box, then you probably will need to get more involved in a per-car basis and see if the Aux input still exists on the multimedia unit. Varying levels of disassembly required.

If you're just wondering if you can play around whilst you charge... Get a speaker that charges off USB.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Oh that’s good to know! What’s your range? Do you have the Bose system?
Basic sound system on mine and it isn't anything special. I don't actually know if you can get the Bose system on the new ZE50 or how it sounds so I will leave that for someone else to comment on.

Range is good. 175-200 miles in the real world. A little more if it's good weather and you are careful. A little less if it's cold, windy, snowing and you go full speed down the motorway with the heater on full.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are you actually trying to achieve? Because if it's to turn the car into a big speaker box, then you probably will need to get more involved in a per-car basis and see if the Aux input still exists on the multimedia unit. Varying levels of disassembly required.

If you're just wondering if you can play around whilst you charge... Get a speaker that charges off USB.
Basic sound system on mine and it isn't anything special. I don't actually know if you can get the Bose system on the new ZE50 or how it sounds so I will leave that for someone else to comment on.

Range is good. 175-200 miles in the real world. A little more if it's good weather and you are careful. A little less if it's cold, windy, snowing and you go full speed down the motorway with the heater on full.
Thanks. Yes Bose is available on GT Line range. Good to know aux is still alive on some models

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What I’m trying to achieve, in as simple terms as possible:
  • EV
  • Good range (200+ miles)
  • Premium sound
  • Aux-in (factory, or aftermarket if possible)

Not interested in Bluetooth as my devices are analog and using a BT adapter introduces delay.

So far options I believe are:
  • Kona (2018-19) Krell is amazing.
  • eNiro (First Edition) JBL is amazing
  • Zoe (up to present) Bose haven’t hear
  • Leaf (up to present but Bose not v good)

Any others for the list?
Or can we retrofit aux into any EVs?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
What I’m trying to achieve, in as simple terms as possible:
  • EV
  • Good range (200+ miles)
  • Premium sound
  • Aux-in (factory, or aftermarket if possible)

Not interested in Bluetooth as my devices are analog and using a BT adapter introduces delay.

So far options I believe are:
  • Kona (2018-19) Krell is amazing.
  • eNiro (First Edition) JBL is amazing
  • Zoe (up to present) Bose haven’t hear
  • Leaf (up to present but Bose not v good)

Any others for the list?
Or can we retrofit aux into any EVs?
You're not really answering why you want an Aux-in for these analog devices. You're it going to use them whilst driving are you?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Of course not! I’ll be parked on my driveway or elsewhere making music. How on earth can be that be done whilst driving.
Okay. So why not plug into an Aux speaker powered by USB?

I get you want to use the car, but unless you're willing to buy a car purely based on this, and you're unwilling to investigate yourself by stripping dashboards, I think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay. So why not plug into an Aux speaker powered by USB?

I get you want to use the car, but unless you're willing to buy a car purely based on this, and you're unwilling to investigate yourself by stripping dashboards, I think you'll be disappointed.
Seems like you’re being a little obtuse and I question if you understand the point of this forum at all.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
In RunningSrrong’s defence, it does come across as a weird thing to be focusing on. 3.5mm aux in, using a car’s audio system is hardly audiophile quality. Your issue would seem to go away if you split the problem, ie buy a car that suits what you need the car to do, and buy a powered speaker that meets the sound needs.

Unless we’ve missed something in what you are trying to achieve 🙂

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a professional in the music/audio industry (are there any others in this thread?) I can assure you that many professionals use cars as a final testing system during the mastering process and even in the mixing process. Bose B&O Harman Kardon are incredible sound systems and cars are very well sound-proofed compared with most studios, even high end ones. This is why I have specified “premium” sound.
I find it grating that RunningStrong seems to want to insinuate that I would be using all these devices whilst driving. Not very helpful and they are trying to be clever.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts