Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excellent news. Tesla has the 3 top slots so distorts the statistics. But still good news. Tesla way ahead from long ago.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts
Is that real range or GOM or Tesla fixed?

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
423 Posts
A better comparison, imo, would be one normalised for the list price cost per wltp since most people don't have unlimited budgets and are more focused on value for money.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,371 Posts
I'd prefer 2 charts.

1. Theoretical idealist time to do 1000km/600miles plotted against year: 120km/h speed from 100% down to 20%, charge at car's fastest rate to 80%, drive, charge and repeat until reaching 1000km. Because we all know absolute range isn't the full story with EV's.

2. EPA vehicle range plotted against price. Because WLTP is still overly optimistic. As said, most people don't have unlimited budget.

Based on those, I think I'd choose a Model 3/Y to replace my dirty diesel. Let's be honest, driving locally in EV was solved in 2011, more range and bigger battery does not actually mean truly good get-in-and-drive fossil car replacement.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well spotted guys. The chart is from 2019 - which I did not notice the date on. You need to register to see. But here is the fleet news article - no registration needed. I remember the days when the argument went on about average trips and how we all could manage with a Leaf 24.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Now the argument seems to be ‘my car goes further on a charge than yours, ner ner!’... 😂

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only in this EV bubble. And that is only about 1 in 100,000 motorists. My take would be I do not have to use rapids at MSA's now that really is the bees knees.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Only in this EV bubble. And that is only about 1 in 100,000 motorists. My take would be I do not have to use rapids at MSA's now that really is the bees knees.
Nobody has to nowadays, there are plenty of alternative charging options, especially if you spend your time going East/West across the country, rather than North/South.

I sometimes cry gently to myself when I think of all that battery capacity tied up in long range EVs, we should be sweating those assets and not tying them up for the occasional long run.

It’s good there’s starting to be a choice now though.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,371 Posts
Nobody has to nowadays, there are plenty of alternative charging options, especially if you spend your time going East/West across the country, rather than North/South.
Care to contribute in my thread?

Totally agree about excessive battery capacity. The metric should NOT be absolute range in an EV, it's like megapixels in DSLR, it's only a very small part of overall spec.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there are plenty of alternative charging options
En- route is the most efficient no need to detour and waste time and energy. Give me a decent 300 mile range and that's me back in an EV. Anyone can buy a short range EV and spend time planning around the charging systems. It's the 99.999 % we have to convince. And the market is moving towards the better range cars. Look at the chart since 2015 all companies are very slowly catching up with Tesla.

Reactions: mikegs and wyx087

·
Zoe Devotee
9,118 Posts
No MGs either. What would be interesting is cost per mile of range, and it should be realistic pricing either go with RRP for all cars or go with a target price for all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone can buy a short range EV and spend time planning around the charging systems.
I'm off in half an hour to pick up my new MG. It has an official range of 163 miles. As part of my research I scribbled my regular trips down in my day book and it will easily cope with my needs. There won't be any planning until I want to visit friends up North (of the M4!). I've downloaded a few apps but haven't bothered with any RFID cards or registrations yet. The charger goes in shortly, the solar panels have been on the roof 7 years and are pretty well amortised.

I'm happy with that range and the price: remember a 300 mile range isn't the whole market.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
99.99% of people don’t travel hundreds of miles a day every day.
Not sure why people think they never drive long distances. In my youth I was all over the country holidays camping and work and love. Then I carted my kids all over the place and holidays in the UK. Then there was the university interviews for them, then there was the twice a term moving all their stuff out and back again. They are now freebirds. I do a regular once a month 300 mile trip to Anglesey total nightmare in an EV. Dead easy in my diesel. And many other places such as Cromer and Dorset. I once had a diversion in the floods - then a diversion on the diversion. Then a couple of times a year 300 mile plus holiday in the UK. Social events funerals doing silly things at the drop of a hat. Sure if you have a predictable low mileage life then fine. But ranges are increasing and the bottom end cars are just not made anymore. I did have two EV's for three years and did not realise how they cramped my plans until I got an ICE again. One Sunday my better half said lets go visit our old haunts and drop in on some friends. I booted up the laptop - then realised I did not need to check if the car was charged and sort out the charging and plan B's etc. We could just go where we wanted and make up our day as we went along - bliss. We had started to base our life around the car and charging. No more the car is now our servant. I have no friends relations or colleagues who drive EV and cannot see them doing so with the current infrastructure and range. This is the EV bubble with less than .001% of drivers contributing. If low mileage BEV's are so good for everyone why are sales doing the exact opposite, and higher range EV's taking over ? Why would anyone base a decision on averages ?

What’s the figure, most people drive no more than 40 miles a day?
So why aren't all EV's 40 mile range ? Say 50 to allow a little leeway.

Why have 4/5 seats in a car ? Why have so many houses with more than one bedroom ? Why have a car it spends 95% of the time parked.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not sure why people think they never drive long distances. In my youth I was all over the country holidays camping and work and love. Then I carted my kids all over the place and holidays in the UK. Then there was the university interviews for them, then there was the twice a term moving all their stuff out and back again. They are now freebirds. I do a regular once a month 300 mile trip to Anglesey total nightmare in an EV. Dead easy in my diesel. And many other places such as Cromer and Dorset. I once had a diversion in the floods - then a diversion on the diversion. Then a couple of times a year 300 mile plus holiday in the UK. Social events funerals doing silly things at the drop of a hat. Sure if you have a predictable low mileage life then fine. But ranges are increasing and the bottom end cars are just not made anymore. I did have two EV's for three years and did not realise how they cramped my plans until I got an ICE again. One Sunday my better half said lets go visit our old haunts and drop in on some friends. I booted up the laptop - then realised I did not need to check if the car was charged and sort out the charging and plan B's etc. We could just go where we wanted and make up our day as we went along - bliss. We had started to base our life around the car and charging. No more the car is now our servant. I have no friends relations or colleagues who drive EV and cannot see them doing so with the current infrastructure and range. This is the EV bubble with less than .001% of drivers contributing. If low mileage BEV's are so good for everyone why are sales doing the exact opposite, and higher range EV's taking over ? Why would anyone base a decision on averages ?

So why aren't all EV's 40 mile range ? Say 50 to allow a little leeway.

Why have 4/5 seats in a car ? Why have so many houses with more than one bedroom ? Why have a car it spends 95% of the time parked.
I agree. I think a sub two mile EV wouldn't be acceptable to most people as an only car. But there is a place for cheap low range EVs as commuter / 2nd cars. When I had a Leaf I also had an Ice for longer journeys. Now the Tesla is our only car.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts