Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying a little hypermiling - I think that's the correct term - and got my best reading yet today. 4.2 miles per kWh.
It was a decent run in the Glasgow East area, using the A8 out of town and back, mixed surfaces, roundabouts etc. Less than average traffic lights and these were mainly green if timed right.
There's so little traffic you could almost do any speed, but allowing for relevant speed limits around 40-ish seemed efficient with 50mph downhill, foot off the e's, no draughting or special provisions though I did switch the infotainment off to listen to the sound of silence!

Distance travelled = 20.2 real miles, 22 GOM miles - a ratio of 0.91818:1 repeating - I just find that interesting, two random numbers giving that type of result.
Remaining miles = 3.673, 4 GOM miles
Max. Charge = 26 GOM (I seem to be stuck at 26 no matter what but it's very reliable.)
Temperature was 10 C. Conditions fair.

According to the above, if I've actually done 20.2 real miles and achieved 4.2 m/kWh then I used 4.8kW of a max. capacity (20.2+3.67=23.87) of 5.68kW/h
Sounds a little light to me for a battery that should have 8.7kW.

On a more typical day like today my commute was 12 miles and 21 minutes, infotainment on, no need for heating on as I preheated, 8 miles left.

Any thoughts, even though this topic has probably been done to death already?

PS - Last filled up with dino juice on 8 January, 2200 miles and 117 days ago (rarely use at weekends) and still got plenty in the tank, as it were. Brilliant little car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Distance travelled = 20.2 real miles, 22 GOM miles - a ratio of 0.91818:1 repeating - I just find that interesting, two random numbers giving that type of result.
20.2/22 = 101/110 = 10/11 + 1/110.
10/11 is 0.909090909...
1/110 is 0.009090909...

If you like weird maths coincidences:

(square root of a quadrillion) / (seconds in a leap year) = 1.0000 (to 4dp)

Maths nerdery done for the day.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,384 Posts
Nice!

You might want to try charging the car at a lower changing speed once in a while. Drop your amps to 5 or 8. A deep discharge will help too.

Reactions: Andy-2017

·
Registered
Kona64
1,388 Posts
Nice!

You might want to try charging the car at a lower changing speed once in a while. Drop your amps to 5 or 8. A deep discharge will help too.
@Todor
How do you do a deep discharge on a PHEV where frequently the battery is "emptied" ?!?!
I did ask a dealer once if they could do it, but the service staff gave me a funny look.

@Andy-2017
Usable to us mere mortals isn't the full 8.6 capacity, it's a whisker under 7 I think.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@gladini - you beat me to it on the discharge question. I've often run to 0 miles when it was colder. (Some would say nicely judged, but it was mostly luck and no heating!)
@Todor I could charge at a lower rate at home. I have solar panels and I like to suck up as much sunshine as I can when it's there so on that basis I get your point about lower charge rates. I also charge at work (7kW) and as I may need the car at any time it has to be - plug in and go for it.

And I agree regarding the capacity, there's a reserve held for sure, and as you and others quote it seems to be about 20%. However that means I'm still light by about 1kW or so.
Not too bothered, just curious to see how mine stacks up against others and the reported stuff on the interweb.

In other news, after much ado I finally got my POD point app to work with my POD, tells me I spent the vast sum of £8.55 last month charging at home. I wonder how I ever afforded petrol.
I was looking back at a couple of previous offences against the planet :

2012-14 - 20 mpg = £100 most weeks.(140p/l)
2010-14 - 25 mpg = £75 most weeks (130p/l)
2014-17 - 26 mpg = £50 most weeks (120p/l)
2017- date - Golf GTE - irrelevant mpg = £40 a month (130p/l) + £9 approx. for leccy.

I suppose these figures hardly compare with my much loved and missed Daimler Double Six HE. Between 12-15 mpg on a good day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts