Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was idly looking at a trip to Mallorca this autumn, checked out hire car prices with Avis. To my surprise, they offer a Zoe - for the same price as a similarly-sized petrol.

Details very thin on the ground - it seems to be a guaranteed EV ('Zoe or similar' - but I can't imagine they have any other EVs), but doesn't say battery size, nor offer any info on charging.

Would be interested to know if anyone's rented here before, and what they got.

I'd be doing ~100 miles most days. IIRC, you can charge at 16A on a granny lead in Spain - is that right? So if a granny lead was provided by Avis and the accommodation had suitable parking & socket (big if) it could work well.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
Probably lots of charging points on Mallorca. There was in Menorca this summer.

I also noticed an EV hire company, so check if the small local companies don’t offer them as well.

I imagine Sixt would be worth checking as the have the Zoe in Barcelona.

Mallorca isn’t that big, so I’d be impressed if you do 100 miles in a day.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
I'd be doing ~100 miles most days. IIRC, you can charge at 16A on a granny lead in Spain - is that right?
The Zoe doesn’t come with a granny charger, so highly doubt the Zoe will have one from Avis. It should have a standard Type 2.

You could of course bring your own, but charging would be at 10 amps and very lossy with the Zoe. Not a huge problem, but just keep an eye on the old schuko socket and be aware some apartments only have a 3 kw supply. So no charging and using the oven, for instance.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a climbing trip, so we usually base in Palma, and drive out to the crags every day. Easily 70km each way, to the east coast. Plus getting lost, diverting somewhere for dinner etc.

Yes - good call about Renault not including the granny. Shame, as 16A would top it up nicely, assuming the villa could support it.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There seem to be a handful of CCS on the major roads, but very little in the way of AC charging in Palma. Certainly doable.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
There seem to be a handful of CCS on the major roads, but very little in the way of AC charging in Palma. Certainly doable.
Not sure where you’re looking, but check Electromaps.com.

Loads of Type 2 chargers.

I’d advise getting hold of an Electromaps fob for all the municipal chargers, which can be free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts