Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking to buy an EV but not sure if a home wall box will be possible. Our fuse box and meter is on the inside front wall of our living room. The car will be parked at the back of the house, over 70ft away from that front room. We have power going to the garage at the back but from what I understand the wall box needs to connect directly to the fuse box. Can anyone advise if this would even be possible. Seems pointless investing in an EV if I can't get a wall box. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yup you can do it - but you will need thick cable, and I'm guessing it will cost more than doing it next to the fuse box.

You can also recharge fine with a granny plug if you only do 20miles or so a day - if you do 100 or so you will need a 7.2KW charge point.

Can you charge at work or do you have a large Tesco near you?

What's a typical daily drive for you?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Hello,
I am looking to buy an EV but not sure if a home wall box will be possible. Our fuse box and meter is on the inside front wall of our living room. The car will be parked at the back of the house, over 70ft away from that front room. We have power going to the garage at the back but from what I understand the wall box needs to connect directly to the fuse box. Can anyone advise if this would even be possible. Seems pointless investing in an EV if I can't get a wall box. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
If the garage supply is upto supplying 30amps then you can connect to it using a small consumer unit with an isolator / mcb/ rcd for the charger. Otherwise a granny charger could be plugged into a garage socket and will charge at a rate of about 2.2kw / hour or about 22kw overnight if this is sufficient.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,883 Posts
I don't even HAVE a home charger, 9 months in, all still fine ta
I installed a charger (moved it really) in our new house back in October last year.

Been charging using only public chargers since. Probably used our charger twice.

It can be done if you have access to chargers in convenient places. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup you can do it - but you will need thick cable, and I'm guessing it will cost more than doing it next to the fuse box.

You can also recharge fine with a granny plug if you only do 20miles or so a day - if you do 100 or so you will need a 7.2KW charge point.

Can you charge at work or do you have a large Tesco near you?

What's a typical daily drive for you?
Thanks. I commute 44 miles a day (round trip) and looking at a GLA250e that takes 2 hours to charge on wall charger and 5.5 on three point plug. Guess I could just use three point plug every evening. There are chargers at my work but not guaranteed to get one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the garage supply is upto supplying 30amps then you can connect to it using a small consumer unit with an isolator / mcb/ rcd for the charger. Otherwise a granny charger could be plugged into a garage socket and will charge at a rate of about 2.2kw / hour or about 22kw overnight if this is sufficient.
Thank you, that's really helpful.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,018 Posts
My charge point is across the neighbours property with a cable run that I think is longer that your 70ft. Reasonably heavy armoured cable fed from a dedicated small consumer unit. As soon as it’s a nonstandard installation you might have issues with some of the installers like chargemaster or Pod-Point. They wouldn’t touch ours. Local installer were very happy to do it, nice neat job too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The EV charge point could be supplied from the garage, providing it is up to the task. There is no specific requirement on it being off the main consumer unit.

A lot of electrical installers are opting to install a separate consumer unit for the "green energy" products such as solar pv and ev chargers. This allows us to install a db with the correct RCD protection due to the earthing arrangements around ev chargers.

70ft approx 21meters is not a particularly long run for a supply cable.

A basic calculation of 32A supply over 25meters using Steel Wire armoured cable, clipped direct to a wall comes out at a 4mm SWA.

If you are using a large nationwide company for the install, I have seen some T&C's where the max allowed run for the stated price is 15meters. Unsure whether they would choose to charge for the additional or refuse the non standard installation etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts