Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Night Blue Golf GTE Nav
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you guys swap between the modes? I use B mode around town and D mode on A roads/Motorways. Is that the generally accepted usage? I don't seem to get a lot of regeneration in B mode but like the Auto braking feel of it in town driving

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,668 Posts
I generally only use B mode if I'm on a steep and long downhill or similar.

I find I get the best economy using power and coast.

I take the view that it uses more power to get back up to speed after B mode has slowed you down, possibly too much.

You still get braking regen in any mode anyway.

So, I'm rarely in B mode at all now I've studied what mpg/energy use I'm getting on the routes I generally drive.

·
Night Blue Golf GTE Nav
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting. I do see your point I'll have to experiment more with it. Thanks

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I use D mode as the default (to achieve coasting) and occasionally use B mode on the approach to roundabouts, or on hilly descents. I find the B mode regen quite strong.
Yes I agree mostly D mode for me. I tend to use B mode in the same way, to slow the car down without using the footbrake. After a bit of practise you can use the regen in B mode to almost bring the car to a stop !. Don't forget, the level / strength of the regen in B mode will increase as the electric range is reduced.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,528 Posts
Rarely use B mode any more. D-mode is better for efficiency and mpg, around town or on the motorway, it doesn't matter.

My rationale is similar to the previous ones, including the fact that B mode is only provided so that it can simulate engine braking when going downhill in a normal ICE. And that is to prevent the brakes from overheating, that is all. The higher regeneration is only a beneficial side effect of that.

I have also recently discovered that the car also automatically enables a higher regeneration when going down a steep hill. Seems to try and keep the current speed of the car by adjusting the braking effect up to a maximum level which I have to guess is close to B-mode on its own.

So clever car... no need for me to do anything.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,691 Posts
GTE mode gives a nice compromise between D and B mode braking. You don't have to drive like an idiot in GTE mode, so the fuel economy can be quite good.

As above, I use D most of the time. If I see a big queue of traffic coming up I switch to B briefly. Braking via the pedal is regenerative anyway.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,652 Posts
I've used it a few times on busy motorways - I like the fact the car slows as soon as I have begun lifting off the throttle, rather than beginning to coast as I'm coming off + moving foot leftwards to begin pressing the brake.
Only a couple of seconds if that, but the faster slowing of the car gives a few more metres of space between me and any developing hazard, or the moron who's just cut into the safety gap I'd left in the pouring rain.

Slightly jealous of those with frequent great B-Road press on motoring who can spend hours seeing if B-Mode in GTEMode helps or not: either regen of electrons, or sheer driving ease-pleasure. <sigh>

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rarely use B mode any more. D-mode is better for efficiency and mpg, around town or on the motorway, it doesn't matter.

My rationale is similar to the previous ones, including the fact that B mode is only provided so that it can simulate engine braking when going downhill in a normal ICE. And that is to prevent the brakes from overheating, that is all. The higher regeneration is only a beneficial side effect of that.

I have also recently discovered that the car also automatically enables a higher regeneration when going down a steep hill. Seems to try and keep the current speed of the car by adjusting the braking effect up to a maximum level which I have to guess is close to B-mode on its own.

So clever car... no need for me to do anything.
B mode only provided to simulate engine braking and to stop the brakes over heating!!! Firstly when you put your foot on the brake do you actually think the brakes are are being used to slow you down? Have you ever wondered why your wheels don't seem to get brake dust on them? Could it be the car used as much energy as it can to charge the battery why would it waist it making heat in your brakes. Secondly when was the last time you heard of anyone over heating their brakes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing to remember is that in B mode, whenever you take your foot off the accelerator at speed, the brake lights come on. This isn't always a good thing as you can be seen as a driver who is continually braking and accelerating.

·
Registered
300 Posts
@Doug Urquhart completely agree. I started off always using B mode on motorways and A roads especially when I had the ACC on however I've always questioned the difference between the two modes and as @Simon hvt points out, applying the brakes appears to have the same effect so now with the ACC on I just let the car sort it out and stay in D mode.

Is there any published info (internal VW or otherwise) that defines a discernible difference between the two modes?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,691 Posts
@Doug Urquhart completely agree. I started off always using B mode on motorways and A roads especially when I had the ACC on however I've always questioned the difference between the two modes and as @Simon hvt points out, applying the brakes appears to have the same effect so now with the ACC on I just let the car sort it out and stay in D mode.

Is there any published info (internal VW or otherwise) that defines a discernible difference between the two modes?
I don't have any official data, but coasting in D mode uses zero energy, whereas braking and accelerating repeatedly uses more energy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As people have expressed before, either select GTE mode or manual mode with the gear lever. This gives a happy medium for those that require some engine braking without the severe B mode which from the manual, is really designed for engine braking on steep descents.

·
Registered
893 Posts
This thread from last year has a few thoughts and discussion:

Getting the most out of B-mode

I thought it might be worth starting a discussion regarding B-mode.

I have a few observations of my own to share.
  1. Some say that for the most part you are better sticking to D mode as coasting is more efficient. However it is possible to keep the power needle at zero by depressing the accelerator slightly when you don't want to accelerate or slow down.
  2. Stating the obvious I use B-mode going down hills to gain maximum regeneration. I have noticed that braking in D-mode does not move the needle into green regeneration very quickly and seems to use the brakes earlier.
  3. I have found that I seem to get more regeneration of I use B-mode like an engine brake in a manual ICE car when approaching corners and stops.
  4. I now prefer to use B-mode in town and city traffic as well as windy country roads when there is near constant speeding up and slowing down with no opportunity to coast.
  5. When I engage ACC in B-mode it seems to just use the brakes to slow down rather than regeneration. It seems like the software is not clever enough to use regeneration at all as the needle stays at 0 when and the sound of the car is not one of regeneration when braking. I therefore avoid ACC when I want to maximise regeneration.
  6. The car won't do any regeneration when the battery is fully charged and one needs to remember it will therefore handle differently when slowing.
There are many people on this forum who have had their GTE a lot longer than me. I would be interested to hear your experience and thoughts on the subject.
I now tend to use B-mode for most town and country road driving, but switch to D-mode if there are any long stretches where I can coast.

Another alternative I occasionally use, but I know some prefer is to change down a gear manually on the paddles which introduces regeneration, though not as harshly as B-mode.

I have also experimented with going fully manual changing down early to maximise regeneration. This gave slightly better mileage but driving was less relaxed so I don't do it very often.

·
Regular contributor
303 Posts
When do you guys swap between the modes?
All the time ..

Yes I agree mostly D mode for me. I tend to use B mode in the same way, to slow the car down without using the footbrake.
Totally agree! .. In pure EV I don't think I use the footbrake anymore, only if my prediction of someones behaviour is a little off and have to slow quicker than the B-mode allows.
Strength of engine braking using B-mode when hybrid is active is very inconsistent, I guess due to the system killing the engine and using re-gen, or keeping ICE on when battery is very low. But as most of my miles is E-mode these days, I rarely drive in hybrid (other than the motorway, when ICE is fairly constant speed).

·
driving ev's forward since 2008...
42 Posts
I mix & match to the road conditions and my driving style, I may stay in D mode in town to maximise efficiency but will knock into B mode coming up to lights, roundabouts, slowing traffic etc.

Shame you can't activate it via the paddles or steering wheel..

·
Night Blue Golf GTE Nav
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've tried driving in D mode round town but keep nearly rear ending the car in front because the Golf feels like it wants to keep doing 20 mile an hour! I'm struggling to get used to having no braking when lifting off and keep having to react quickly in traffic to brake in time. I've got used to B mode in traffic and like the engine braking feel, as I barely have to touch the brake pedal, so I might stick with B for town and D for A roads and motorways. It could do with a half B mode for a half way point between B and D as B is sometimes a bit too strong. Thanks for all the feedback it's been interesting reading

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,691 Posts
I've tried driving in D mode round town but keep nearly rear ending the car in front because the Golf feels like it wants to keep doing 20 mile an hour! I'm struggling to get used to having no braking when lifting off and keep having to react quickly in traffic to brake in time. I've got used to B mode in traffic and like the engine braking feel, as I barely have to touch the brake pedal, so I might stick with B for town and D for A roads and motorways. It could do with a half B mode for a half way point between B and D as B is sometimes a bit too strong. Thanks for all the feedback it's been interesting reading
You are experiencing 'coasting' as there is very little friction compared to a traditional ICE car. It is the most efficient as it uses no energy. If I have been in B mode for a while and then switch back to D mode, I too have to remember to brake earlier! My previous car was an Audi A3 with ACT/COD, and that too would 'coast' when in Efficiency mode, so I suppose it was easier for me to get used to.

·
Regular contributor
303 Posts
It could do with a half B mode for a half way point between B and D as B is sometimes a bit too strong.
@Martin G don't forget you can modulate the B-mode level by using the throttle. Tiny amounts of throttle just reduce the B-mode to the equivalent of staying in D-mode. It's tricky to get the balance, but after a while it's second nature.:D

I like @supercarrambler 's idea of using the paddles in EV mode to modulate the level. I guess it could work, as the paddles don't do anything else (in EV mode) do they?:confused:

·
Night Blue Golf GTE Nav
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Martin G don't forget you can modulate the B-mode level by using the throttle. Tiny amounts of throttle just reduce the B-mode to the equivalent of staying in D-mode. It's tricky to get the balance, but after a while it's second nature.:D

I like @supercarrambler 's idea of using the paddles in EV mode to modulate the level. I guess it could work, as the paddles don't do anything else (in EV mode) do they?:confused:
Yes I've sussed this way of driving it now. Just applying a little throttle downhill still keeps it regenerating but controls the descent. That's why I can't see why you'd use D mode in town/low speed driving as coasting doesn't give you anything back, and if you're braking you may as well let the car do it and control it with the throttle. One pedal driving

1 - 20 of 37 Posts