Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my ID.4 for about a week and a half now, and I pop it into 'B' mode right away every time, since that is much closer to how my Zoe drives. I have been wondering though, assuming you drive the same with in both D and B (lift off the accelerator at the same time, same amount of braking, etc.), do you get the same amount of regen in both modes? Using the brakes in 'D' gives the same amount of regen as slowing in 'B', doesn't it?

·
Registered
EGolf
131 Posts
I use B in start/stop traffic, regen 2 on slightly faster roads where there is traffic and roundabouts etc (lots around here) and D on faster roads/motorways as free-wheeling is the best for economy. Adds to the fun of driving

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
119 Posts
Coasting is more efficient than regen for sure. There's always losses when converting energy from one form to another (in this case kinetic to stored) so you're better off keeping the kinetic energy moving you forward. Use B mode for heavy traffic if it suits your driving style better, and for steep hills to both regulate your speed and get some free energy back into the battery. Also the car's own "smart" speed regulation (such as when approaching junctions or slower traffic - is it ACC or Front Assist or something else?) will slow you using pure regen if you give it enough distance to do so.

As for using the brake pedal, yes, that applies as much regen as it can before adding in the friction brakes if needed. In fact, when slowing to a near stop you can feel the point at which you get too slow for the regen and it switches to normal brakes only. It's not as smooth a transition as it was in the Leaf and is something I'm hoping they'll improve with updates.

For what it's worth I've noticed that putting the car into Sport mode defaults to a more aggressive regen than what you get in Comfort mode. I assume it helps with twisty country roads but I haven't tried it in anger yet!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
836 Posts
Not using the electricity in the first place is always more efficient than using it then trying to put it back in the battery. So greater regen is less efficient overall, unless the energy was going to be wasted anyway through using the friction brakes.
It's why ice vehicles are terribly inefficient around town. EVs are obviously better as they do manage to recoup a lot of that energy, but it is still more efficient to avoid acceleration and deceleration where possible.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.4 (plus a '72 camper and a '67 GP Spyder - not electric)
13 Posts
Interesting - I was using B, as I assumed it would help extend the range, but will switch to D if this is the consensus!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,116 Posts
Interesting - I was using B, as I assumed it would help extend the range, but will switch to D if this is the consensus!
Try your own tests. I doubt you can measure the difference. Remember that you can coast in B mode too, if you learn where to stop lifting your foot. Takes practice.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.4 (plus a '72 camper and a '67 GP Spyder - not electric)
13 Posts
Try your own tests. I doubt you can measure the difference. Remember that you can coast in B mode too, if you learn where to stop lifting your foot. Takes practice.
To be fair, I am enjoying putting it in ACC and letting it drive itself, especially as it knows all the speed limit changes and adjusts accordingly! Pretty much don't have to touch either pedal except at junctions and traffic lights!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,116 Posts
To be fair, I am enjoying putting it in ACC and letting it drive itself, especially as it knows all the speed limit changes and adjusts accordingly! Pretty much don't have to touch either pedal except at junctions and traffic lights!
You'll be delighted when the cars become fully autonomous then! We can all sit in the back and play with our phones.

Myself, I really enjoy controlling the vehicle and the one-pedal technique is a whole new game to learn.

Each to his own.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,990 Posts
I've had my ID.4 for about a week and a half now, and I pop it into 'B' mode right away every time, since that is much closer to how my Zoe drives. I have been wondering though, assuming you drive the same with in both D and B (lift off the accelerator at the same time, same amount of braking, etc.), do you get the same amount of regen in both modes? Using the brakes in 'D' gives the same amount of regen as slowing in 'B', doesn't it?
If you braked exactly as the car would apply the regen then the recovered energy would be exactly the same.

I mostly drive in D with the auto regen turned off as well as I like to lift and coast where I can. In theory it uses less energy but doesn't seem to make much difference in the ID3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts