Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a B Class Electric 250e.

Do any owners (or previous) have any advice on what to look for when buying one. Are there any tell tale signs that anything may be wrong with the car, battery etc?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone is looking to sell theirs then I'd like to know prices, mileage, condition, location etc

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You will get lots of advice here and I will also add some as well. Its a great car, high quality, lots of power and very smooth. Definitely MB standard all round.

I can't think of anything specific to look for as most will be very low mileage and apart from a charger flap, we have had no problems. From a price perspective, I would look at £15K or less. It would be interesting to know how much they are going for at auction.

Personally, I would not buy one outright for a number of reasons. As you probably know, MB have discontinued the car and the majority of dealers have not got a clue about them. There are lots of funny stories of dealers trying to convince owners that they don't actually have a BEV in the range and also overcharging significantly for a service, when about £130 of each service (for the battery) should be free. I have heard much worse stories than this.

From an ownership point of view, I don't really have the confidence that MB will be able to look after a MB250e customer for the longterm. My dealer saw it as a novelty and we had a bit of debate over the cost of the service, before they agreed with me.

Other than this, I had a good conversation with another owner this week and we agreed that it is not very efficient compared to other EVs. When you compare it to Nissan and Hyundai, the mile/kWh are extremely poor. It is limited from a charging point of view and even though this doesn't affect me with the way we use the car, it would be great to travel a little further afield and use rapid chargers occasionally.

I can't help feel that if you are not too bothered about range, then there are some cracking deals on Leaf's at the moment and it you want more range and charging options, then there are better cars now and coming.

Reactions: Four Star

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

I've had Leafs for 5 years now (circa 90k miles) and I agree they represent great value but I've driven the 250 E and loved it plus my 54 mile round trip commute plus usual 60 miles round trips at weekends put my usage right in the sweet spot for the Merc.

Also, I can charge at work and there are 2 x AAB chargers where I live if I need a slightly quicker charge (appreciate it's not RAPID)

To be honest, it's the extra power of the Merc that I'd like to have at my disposal plus with boys (getting bigger every day) the increased size of the B Class interior and boot will come in handy.

Reactions: Jools

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
B250e is better than the LEAF in almost every way other than lack of DC charging.

Range, however, is about the same as a 24kWh LEAF, a little better with 'range mode' which allows an effective overcharge to ~32kWh rather than 28kWh (it's a 35.8kWh pack and liquid cooled so I doubt it'll fry the battery that much quicker).

The power is good - even at 70+mph it pulls like it means it.

Cabin space is good - I'm well over 6ft and fit easily where in the LEAF the wheel is just on my thighs.

Boot space is a useful shape and size for family use.

Prices on autotrader are rather high just now - I paid just over £20k in May for one with Exec and Range packs from drivethedeal.com. I expect in 6 years when my 0% deal is paid up I will have a car with 40-50k miles worth maybe 6 grand or so which is competitive with any ICE car.

If I was looking right now for a BEV, I would be considering the e-Golf (from around £24k on drivethedeal for straight purchase) or leasing the Soul for the next 2 years (for £5776 total for 16k miles from drive-electric) which gets nothing but good reviews and has 6.6kW AC charging and DC CHAdeMO, and is surpisingly well equipped. It only has the power of a LEAF tho.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good point about Autotrader prices, there are hardly any MB250e around at the moment, because the dealers wanted to off-load them as quickly as possible as they were losing money on the forecourt, so most have shifted at low prices.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great car (particularly on lease), but I wouldn't want to buy it outright for the reasons I stated.

It would be good to see what they go for at auction. If you look around on the site, there is someone with a trader account and they may be able to let you know. There is an eArt 6K miles at BCA Bedford on 12th October (I will post on another thread to see if someone can monitor and post the sale price).

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is nothing really to look for on these other than whether the "fuel flap" has had the upgrade.
I live quite near the EV Experience Centre in MK so couldn't resist taking the 7 day hire on a LEAF 30 6.6 last week and Zoe ZE40 R90 this week.
My B250e is due back to the lease company mid next year so I am very neutral about its virtues and I could speak for ages about the difference in them all!
If you do under 100 miles a day and / or have simple access to a 3 phase 11kwh or above charging point then the B250e is just about the best there is. Really nicely put together, quick, the flappy paddles are brilliant for you using coasting / regen on the move to meet the road conditions, the heater is brilliant (no interior fogging) - Just a really nice place to be.
My best ever range in a day was 140 miles driving like the vicar.
Lack of DC charging? Yes - What a shame! But there are pages and pages of threads on that subject so I won't start it all again! :)

@Panda - Great spot regarding BCA. I live near the Bedford branch so I will nip down on Thursday and report back re pricing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if I've missed it in the past but could someone point me to, or explain the "fuel flap" thing please? How would I know if it's been done?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry if I've missed it in the past but could someone point me to, or explain the "fuel flap" thing please? How would I know if it's been done?
Basically the charging cover (like the fuel flap) has an electric mechanism. Apparently, it lets water in and then at some point will stop functioning, so you can't get the flap open. This happened to me at work, so I could not charge to get back home. MB breakdown came out and changed the part. They had one on the van as it is a known issue with all B Class cars. I have no idea how to find out how it is done.

Originally I didn't think that pointing out faults was an issue, but now I can see that there is only a 3 year warranty on the car, but 8 years on the battery. My dealer has asked me to bring the car in again as there is oil leaking from the axles, they said that this is a common issue, so you may want to look at this.

I agree with the points that @69bedford69 makes. But, I still think that due to questions on long-term MB support and a short 3 year warrantee, this is a great car to lease, but questionable about owning. MB support will be expensive if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There is nothing really to look for on these other than whether the "fuel flap" has had the upgrade.
I live quite near the EV Experience Centre in MK so couldn't resist taking the 7 day hire on a LEAF 30 6.6 last week and Zoe ZE40 R90 this week.
My B250e is due back to the lease company mid next year so I am very neutral about its virtues and I could speak for ages about the difference in them all!
If you do under 100 miles a day and / or have simple access to a 3 phase 11kwh or above charging point then the B250e is just about the best there is. Really nicely put together, quick, the flappy paddles are brilliant for you using coasting / regen on the move to meet the road conditions, the heater is brilliant (no interior fogging) - Just a really nice place to be.
My best ever range in a day was 140 miles driving like the vicar.
Lack of DC charging? Yes - What a shame! But there are pages and pages of threads on that subject so I won't start it all again! :)

@Panda - Great spot regarding BCA. I live near the Bedford branch so I will nip down on Thursday and report back re pricing.
Thanks for this and for going the extra mile, it will be interesting to see the price at auction. As there is only one, it may be a higher price as sometimes dealers with a ready customer will be willing to pay more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have one brand new MB250 since March. I ordered it a month before Hyundai Ioniq show up on the market and I regret my choice... pity range in cold and rainy days, lack of DC charger, ACC, heat pump - just begging of wall of shame... During half year and 12kkm two visits in service - mentioned fuel flap, loss of cooling liquid, and some other annoying things like slow reaction on gear switchin after start and between R - D,
park position P is automatically engaged if you open door, even car is moving when maneuvering... I hate that the most and can't switch that off !
However there are some good things,. Spacious interior, trunk. Nice materials, good visibility, 3 phases 400V, 11 kW on board charger let recharge 100% at home in less than 3 hours. Default just 77% battery using (excluding range extender) and advanced liquid cooling system should slowdown battery degradation... but then again battery warranty is just 100kkm.. why no infinite if it is Teslas powertime ... or at least 160 kkm ?
If I be you I would wait for new leaf, forget about B class :) I got an offer from Mercedes to look in to their new offer of EV model EQ but after expirience with B250e I said simply no thanks....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
check the heater works!

No idea if its a common issue, but the car i test drove(1yo used on the forecourt) before getting my lease had a broken heater, which made for a very cold winter test drive!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for this and for going the extra mile, it will be interesting to see the price at auction. As there is only one, it may be a higher price as sometimes dealers with a ready customer will be willing to pay more.
I went to BCA Bedford today and the white B250e was amongst all of the Bristol Street Motors part exchange fodder. A couple of very strange things about this car which makes me think that it's a mis-build:-

- Wrong headlights (the headlights are non Xenon from the B180)
- Wrong tail lights (ditto B180 non-LED lights)
- No heated seats
- No parking sensors

Anyway, bidding started at £15k. No interest from the hall or online so it's unsold and will be entered again into the next sale.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have one brand new MB250 since March. I ordered it a month before Hyundai Ioniq show up on the market and I regret my choice... pity range in cold and rainy days, lack of DC charger, ACC, heat pump - just begging of wall of shame... During half year and 12kkm two visits in service - mentioned fuel flap, loss of cooling liquid, and some other annoying things like slow reaction on gear switchin after start and between R - D,
park position P is automatically engaged if you open door, even car is moving when maneuvering... I hate that the most and can't switch that off !
However there are some good things,. Spacious interior, trunk. Nice materials, good visibility, 3 phases 400V, 11 kW on board charger let recharge 100% at home in less than 3 hours. Default just 77% battery using (excluding range extender) and advanced liquid cooling system should slowdown battery degradation... but then again battery warranty is just 100kkm.. why no infinite if it is Teslas powertime ... or at least 160 kkm ?
If I be you I would wait for new leaf, forget about B class :) I got an offer from Mercedes to look in to their new offer of EV model EQ but after expirience with B250e I said simply no thanks....
I don't disagree with any of the above but..........I have just had a LEAF 30 6.6 on loan for a week followed by another week in a Renault Zoe ZE40 R90 (both brand new) and all I will say is that it's very nice to back in the Merc! :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I went to BCA Bedford today and the white B250e was amongst all of the Bristol Street Motors part exchange fodder. A couple of very strange things about this car which makes me think that it's a mis-build:-

- Wrong headlights (the headlights are non Xenon from the B180)
- Wrong tail lights (ditto B180 non-LED lights)
- No heated seats
- No parking sensors

Anyway, bidding started at £15k. No interest from the hall or online so it's unsold and will be entered again into the next sale.
Mine doesnt have any of those things either

It has a reversing camera, but no sensors and halogen head lamps and taillights.

Mines a base model "Sport". I think those extra bits were only on the higher spec cars.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine doesnt have any of those things either

It has a reversing camera, but no sensors and halogen head lamps and taillights.

Mines a base model "Sport". I think those extra bits were only on the higher spec cars.
Understood but this is not a Sport, it's an Electric Art........

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Interesting.

I think there were sub-models.

So you got Sport, Sport Executive, Sport Premium, and the same with electric art.

It may be that the headlamps and things were in the Executive or Premium packs, and that was just a base model Electric Art?

Infact, thats exactly what it will be, look here:

https://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/b-class-electric-drive.pdf

The heated seats are in Executive, and Xenons etc are in Premium. So a Base model Electric art without the executive or premium packs will not have those things :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yep, you're bang on! It doesn't have the "Premium equipment line" pack which also explains why the mirrors didn't fold / unfold when it was locked / unlocked. Not a mis-biuld, just a basic car. Good spot, my error!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Whilst this is not the best spec'd car, it shows the lack of interest and depreciation on this model. This car at auction is virtually new with 2552 miles on the clock and at 45% of its RSP, no one was interested in it. I am sure someone will go for it in the future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had a B250e Electric Art since June. It's a very nice car in almost all ways. There are a couple of caveats plus an ongoing issue which I shall detail now:
1. It's been discontinued. Whether that is a problem or not remains to be seen. They are still supported by MB and we have a warranty and a PCP with guaranteed final value so possibly no big deal
2. The big issue is the lack of Rapid charging, coupled with battery capacity/range. How bad this is depends on your usage pattern. For local driving, up to say 35 miles each way, there is no problem. We habitually get about 70-80 range on the dashboard estimate, we charge overnight at home, no problem. You can get over 100miles if you use the extended charge mode. For long journeys it can be a problem. We have managed to get to London (60 miles) and charged whilst there in a street point. Similar for Heathrow airport - the short-term car parks have chargers but we ended up staying longer than preferred just to get a charge. Long Term parking airport parking is a no-go so we don't use it for going to the airport when we are going away. This is a severe annoyance for me.
3. Just the other day we had a warning on the dash "Without starting engine again, consult workshop". MB assist came and ran diagnostics and found no fault. Said was likely due to variations in voltages in the charging circuitry. Reset it and fine...until it happened again a few days later. Then changed to "Malfunction, contact workshop" -- the equivalent of the engine warning light. No obvious faults on the car, it ran perfectly and charged too. They took it away and called me back today - no fault found and the message has gone now. So we have to take it back and if it happens again...call them I guess.

So regarding that last point, possibly a bit dodgy. But I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.
It's a nice car to drive and comfortable. Decent boot space. I don't know anything about this filler flap issue, ours opens by pressing it, ie. mechanically, although I guess there is an electric lock on it.

The other thing I don't like is the gear selector (Drive-Reverse) is a stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel. I just can't get used to it and never remember Up=Reverse and Down=Drive for example. I'd much rather a traditional style stick in the centre of the car. But maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Yep, you're bang on! It doesn't have the "Premium equipment line" pack which also explains why the mirrors didn't fold / unfold when it was locked / unlocked. Not a mis-biuld, just a basic car. Good spot, my error!
Am I misreading or in the absence of that premium pack is this a B250e that doesn't have satnav :eek: ?

Also does it really come with a standard reversing camera, but not with standard parking sensors. That's bizarre...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts