Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 7 weeks ago our B250e shuddered to a halt in Milton Keynes, with an alarming message "Stop Switch engine off". Green flag recovered us home, and then came the following morning to take the car to MB in Oxford.

After nearly two weeks of it being with them we received a call to say that the battery has had an internal failure and needs to be replaced. However we were then told that the battery is on back-order and they have no indication when stock will become available. Fortunately, since the battery is covered by MB then we'll have nothing to pay, but how long is reasonable to wait for the car to be repaired?

We're fortunate to not needing to rely on the B250e as my wife can take my car to work and I'm working from home, but sooner or later we will need the car back.

Are there any consumer rights that would support us in rejecting the car after a certain period of time, either with a trade of an equivalent vehicle, or a cash payment? Or are we stuck and have to wait for a replacement, which could take months as I'd doubt MB (or Tesla) would restart production for a single battery, meaning we'd have to wait for a few more batteries to die before any new ones would be made.

And, as a side issue, do you thing a replacement would be built using the latest Tesla cells? There may be a useful increase in range if that were the case...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around 20 months.... However it's not been great upto this issue either. Had to have the main charging cable replaced at our cost, the charge flap only opens if you push it twice and range has been almost unusable (down to the low 60s in winter).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New battery has been fitted, car ready to collect.

Anyone interested in a 16 plate B250e with a brand new battery....?

·
Registered
5 Posts
New battery has been fitted, car ready to collect.

Anyone interested in a 16 plate B250e with a brand new battery....?
Few Questions if you could answer them.
Did the Error message stay on the dash ??
Also if you switched off then back on (Cycled the ignition) was all well again??

Dropped my 16 plate B250e off with mercedes today after ours cut out while driving on two occasions over the past week with an amber message first time then red the second. However after cycling the ignition all was clear both times. So interesting to see this post

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. After cycling the ignition the error message reappeared as soon as I tried to engage drive.
I hope for the sake of your bank balance that it’s a battery fault, and if it does need a new battery then you don’t need the car for a couple of months...🙄

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. After cycling the ignition the error message reappeared as soon as I tried to engage drive.
I hope for the sake of your bank balance that it’s a battery fault, and if it does need a new battery then you don’t need the car for a couple of months...🙄
Update on my issue
My dealership has finally got a diagnosis from Germany.
Electric drive at fault and needs replacing, fortunately due to full dealer service history they are changing it free of charge as a goodwill gesture so no complaints about that, still no idea on when the new electric drive will arrive unsurprisingly. Dealership are phoning me on Monday with a eta for the required electric drive.
Never know might have car back for Christmas if we are lucky.

So despite having the same error/fault message as you different parts are getting replace, interesting 🧐

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a good result, and credit to your dealership fixing it FOC, rather than covering a proportion.
I guess the ‘big error’ message covers many things, like the check engine light on ICE cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s a good result, and credit to your dealership fixing it FOC, rather than covering a proportion.
I guess the ‘big error’ message covers many things, like the check engine light on ICE cars.
True but I have only seen your post with the “Stop switch off engine” message though, all the rest seem to get “Malfunction visit workshop“ error message with drive motor issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts