Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off to test drive a B250e at Mercedes Gatwick today (White, SM16 XFO if anybody knows it). My wife's commute recent dropped from 75 miles a day to 3, so it's time to give electric a try. So this will be run as a third car alongside the two current ICE cars in the household and if successful, one of those will be sold on.

After the disastrous test drive at VW with an e-Golf, where when we turned up car was showing 12 miles range, I've made sure that they've charged this one up. It seems to have the ProPilot Nav rather than Command, but other than that has everything I was after. So couple of questions to those that might know:

1. Were electric memory seats ever an option on the B250e? Would be very useful as we'll both drive it and we have very different seating positions.

2. I'm expecting it to come with a granny cable - anything else?

3. I'll be checking it's had the annual battery check. If that's been missed is it time to walk away?

4. It's done 26k miles and is out of normal warranty as it's just over 3 years old, so comes with 1 year "used" warranty. Doesn't concern me as there's still the drivetrain warranty. Thoughts?

5. It's £16,900. A 2016 Leaf Tekna seems to be about £1,500 less. Rapid charging doesn't concern me as it's main job will be a 3 mile daily commute. I've got a Mercedes already and always had a very good experience with my local dealer, but is the Nissan likely to be a better overall ownership experience?

Thanks in advance and will report back after today

·
Registered
318 Posts
The B250e is a much nicer place to be than a Leaf. It is a bit less efficient (less miles per kWh) but I have been very happy with mine. The range + button is useful (if it has it) for the occasional longer journey. It is a quick car but one of the few things that I do not like about it is that the traction control does not work well enough to deal with the massive torque so it is quite easy to spin the front wheels. I would aim for the premium package if possible. No electric seats AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If it doesn't have a type 2 - type 2 cable it's been nicked ;-)

No rapid charge ability as you know but takes a satisfying 11kW from 22kW stations (or rapids...)

Personally went for the 17" tyres on the 'Sport' over 'Electric Art' for more comfort and probably a tiny range advantage.

The car you're looking at has the range option (pink windscreen is the giveaway!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it doesn't have a type 2 - type 2 cable it's been nicked ;-)

No rapid charge ability as you know but takes a satisfying 11kW from 22kW stations (or rapids...)

Personally went for the 17" tyres on the 'Sport' over 'Electric Art' for more comfort and probably a tiny range advantage.

The car you're looking at has the range option (pink windscreen is the giveaway!)
Type 2 - type 2 cable was in the boot, thankfully. Looks a fairly substantial thing. Funny you should mention the alloys as they are diamond cut and although there were only the tiniest of dinks in two of them, water had got in and made a bit of a mess. Shame, as it means a refurb, whereas had they just been painted I doubt it would be needed.

My 2014 had the electric seats with memory and premium package.. sadly no range extender for me :(

Didn't stop me from going over 180 miles today though!
Thanks, good to know on the seats.

Regarding doing 180 miles in a day, how long did you take to charge in the middle?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Test drive went well and there were no issues to report with the dealer.

Car was originally from Edinburgh so had come a long way. Drove really nicely, and my wife commented that it felt very solid and secure. She liked the slightly elevated driving position and the overall fit and finish.

I was also amused to see that, like my previous two Mercedes C Classes this B Class has worn the outer edges of its tyres. Dealership people always say that it's under inflation, but it's more often due to the lack of neg camber that the standard setup has and that there is no camber adjustment on the bottom arms. Well, that's the reason on a C Class anyway. Shame, as there was still plenty of life left in the centre of these.

So test drive in a Nissan Leaf next and then it's decision time.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Outer edge wear is usually spirited driving - these things pack a wallop from low speed. I certainly used plenty of acceleration in mine but almost always in a straight line and avoiding wheelspin (once I was used to it!)

B250e will pull like a train to the 100mph limiter.

I doubt the tyre wear is due to poor alignment but then I had 225/50x17s on mine.

Underinflation usually causes wear on inner and outer shoulders.

If you walk away from the LEAF wanting it over the B I'll be very very surprised (unless it's to do with rapid charging or potential for post-warranty steep bills...)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Regarding doing 180 miles in a day, how long did you take to charge in the middle?
I charged twice that day. Once for one hour while doing a short hike in the mountains near me and then a 1.5 hour charge on a really nice 40 amp charger while I ate dinner. I have had my car since October 2018 and I have learned how to drive it for stretch the miles. I did one segment of my drive that day down hill where I had it doing full regen D- and still going 55 down hill. If I had used D+ I would have been going over 100 likely due to the road slope and the length of the down hill section.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm off to test drive a B250e at Mercedes Gatwick today (White, SM16 XFO if anybody knows it). My wife's commute recent dropped from 75 miles a day to 3, so it's time to give electric a try. So this will be run as a third car alongside the two current ICE cars in the household and if successful, one of those will be sold on.

After the disastrous test drive at VW with an e-Golf, where when we turned up car was showing 12 miles range, I've made sure that they've charged this one up. It seems to have the ProPilot Nav rather than Command, but other than that has everything I was after. So couple of questions to those that might know:

1. Were electric memory seats ever an option on the B250e? Would be very useful as we'll both drive it and we have very different seating positions.

2. I'm expecting it to come with a granny cable - anything else?

3. I'll be checking it's had the annual battery check. If that's been missed is it time to walk away?

4. It's done 26k miles and is out of normal warranty as it's just over 3 years old, so comes with 1 year "used" warranty. Doesn't concern me as there's still the drivetrain warranty. Thoughts?

5. It's £16,900. A 2016 Leaf Tekna seems to be about £1,500 less. Rapid charging doesn't concern me as it's main job will be a 3 mile daily commute. I've got a Mercedes already and always had a very good experience with my local dealer, but is the Nissan likely to be a better overall ownership experience?

Thanks in advance and will report back after today
Id tentatively say I think its slightly overpriced - there's been a couple of 15 plate B class electric's popping up for 13-14k which have the premium spec and have done around 20-40k mileage, there id have wanted to say 15k for a 16 plate especially as theres a 17 plate in Bradford thats 16,680 and less miles in Bradford, perhaps you can use that to help push the price down?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Seems like the availability of the b class electric has had a dip, for a while there were a good collection of 2015 and 2016 well priced cars but they’ve all dried up and prices have bounced back to 16-17k from 12-14k

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Id tentatively say I think its slightly overpriced - there's been a couple of 15 plate B class electric's popping up for 13-14k which have the premium spec and have done around 20-40k mileage, there id have wanted to say 15k for a 16 plate especially as theres a 17 plate in Bradford thats 16,680 and less miles in Bradford, perhaps you can use that to help push the price down?

I'd agree with you. I've been looking at these B Classes on and off for a few months and have seen similar ones for less, definitely. That one in Bradford is a no go though partly because it's in Bradford and would take a long time to drive back due to lack of rapid charging but also because it's lacking a few key options for me (heated seats and xenons).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did you buy the car? any more updates?

:)
Thanks for asking. I didn't but somebody did as it has gone off sale. I am slightly constrained as I need to sell my other car first, if only because I don't have the space otherwise. I did go and see a Leaf on Friday at lunchtime (near work) and had a good look around.

I know it's not a Mercedes, but for me the interior is fine. The car which is being sold to make way for this is a Subaru so I am used to Japanese interiors. Sadly, despite being just over three years it has been fitted with a set of ditchfinders, had some light damage from contact with a post and a number of door dings, and had missed its 2018 service and is now (over)due its 2019, so I am looking for another example to drive. One I could see myself buying - too much wrong with this one for me.

Seems like the availability of the b class electric has had a dip, for a while there were a good collection of 2015 and 2016 well priced cars but they’ve all dried up and prices have bounced back to 16-17k from 12-14k
I agree, only three on Autotrader at the moment, and prices definitely firming up in the six months that I've been keeping an eye on the market. Perhaps people are slowly waking up to EVs and certainly there's been lots on the press recently about more charging points and new houses being built with them from day 1, which might be increasing demand.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sold my B250e last month (May 17 plate, 26mths and 19k miles) for just over £15k via Evans Halshaw's WBAC style platform.

Dealer didn't even advertise it: I've seen it being driven by a woman near Stirling, so is either the dealer's wife of they have customers waiting for EV trade-ins.

I reckoned it was worth ~£16k private sale, and ~£17.5-18k retail on a forecourt. Felt the no hassle cash into my bank was the best option.

Main reason for selling the Merc was the missus being unwell and not likely to be driving much until 2020, and having 3 cars on the driveway including a 225xe on lease for a further year, and a 10yr old 126k miles FRV hardly worth selling and ideal for carting kids and rubbish around (or both).

Minor reasons for choosing to sell was the small chance of a fat bill if something went wrong if I held onto it past its 3rd birthday, and thinking values may have peaked (<£11k in Feb on WBAC to >£15k in July) with winter on its way soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sold my B250e last month (May 17 plate, 26mths and 19k miles) for just over £15k via Evans Halshaw's WBAC style platform.

Dealer didn't even advertise it: I've seen it being driven by a woman near Stirling, so is either the dealer's wife of they have customers waiting for EV trade-ins.

I reckoned it was worth ~£16k private sale, and ~£17.5-18k retail on a forecourt. Felt the no hassle cash into my bank was the best option.

Main reason for selling the Merc was the missus being unwell and not likely to be driving much until 2020, and having 3 cars on the driveway including a 225xe on lease for a further year, and a 10yr old 126k miles FRV hardly worth selling and ideal for carting kids and rubbish around (or both).

Minor reasons for choosing to sell was the small chance of a fat bill if something went wrong if I held onto it past its 3rd birthday, and thinking values may have peaked (<£11k in Feb on WBAC to >£15k in July) with winter on its way soon.
Firstly, sorry to hear about your wife.

That's an interesting swing in value from WBAC for what is only a 4-5 month period and fits with what I had been seeing for cars advertised. FWIW I'd happily pay top dollar for a car that had everything I wanted and was from a main dealer (or private if still under warranty) but often I find that crucial (to me) options are missing or compromises have to be made with mileage or colour.

But, as a former owner, would you recommend one?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
...as a former owner, would you recommend one?
If we ignore the lack of rapid charging, and relatively modest range, then it is one of the best EVs to own this side of a Tesla. Roomy, fast, quiet, comfortable.

In my situation I didn't need rapid charging (lots of 22kW chargers near me so an 11kW charge over a lunchbreak kept me topped up), and the furthest trips I tended to make were at weekends from my house to a cottage I have in the Borders (~50 miles) so it was perfect for me.

Add in the huge discount available in early 2017 (paid just over £20k for mine with Range and Exec packs) and the fact it is way comfier than a LEAF and more practical than an i3 (3 kids made that an absolute no) or ZOE which were the main competitors in 2017 - eGolf availability was pish well into 2018- and it was a good fit for what I was after.

I like Q-cars and the B250e qualifies as one (as does the 225xe - fabulous to boot up a motorway on-ramp!)

I would recommend one, however, in 2-3 years you may finds its shortcoming less forgiven by buyers used to reading about 150+mile range and 50+kW charging. If you expect to use it for the next 5-6 years and it fits your requirements however, then it makes as much sense as any other.

·
Paul Harrington
34 Posts
Having owned 2 EV's (22kWh Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav and Mitsubishi iMiEV) prior to my late 2016 b250e -I am definitely of the opinion that despite its obvious range and charging issues that this Mercedes really is the business. It can play the role of solid respectable Mercedes Benz using all of its advanced driving aids, great ride and excellent driving position, and then when you want to play, flick into sport and drive away using your Tesla DNA. My only wish is that MB had spent some time and money further developing the support software and app (Mercedes ME). Still in love with my B250e....can you tell?

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
We ran a B as a pool car for two years. Didn't think much of the ride above 30mph and particularly not down uneven B-roads, where it bounced and crashed the same way the crappy ICE versions of it bounce and crash, but it was quiet and roomy and delightfully unassuming while also being deceptively quick. Casper has it right describing it as something of a sleeper.

It had less than stellar reliability (was one of only 3 cars that, in 35 plus years of driving, left me getting cold waiting for the RAC), there was no affordable replacement (ours was on a £165/month 6+23 deal that was hard to resist when we saw it back in 2016) and I'd sure as hell not touch one out of warranty.

But all that is true of any EV right now, which is how come we no longer run them. Just ain't worth the aggro.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts