Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
.... Didn't think much of the ride above 30mph and particularly not down uneven B-roads, where it bounced and crashed the same way the crappy ICE versions of it bounce and crash....
That's why I specifically went for the 'Sport' over 'Electric Art'

The 17" wheels ride better, look better (IMO), and probably are marginally more efficient.

And the car also wasn't spattered with Electric Twat bling ;)

·
Well-Loved Member
964 Posts
Yes. We had the Electric Art wheels and =ELECTRIC DIRGE= stripes. As I suggested only this morning in the e-tron thread, the Germans are not known for understated good taste.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I charged twice that day. Once for one hour while doing a short hike in the mountains near me and then a 1.5 hour charge on a really nice 40 amp charger while I ate dinner. I have had my car since October 2018 and I have learned how to drive it for stretch the miles. I did one segment of my drive that day down hill where I had it doing full regen D- and still going 55 down hill. If I had used D+ I would have been going over 100 likely due to the road slope and the length of the down hill section.
From the "40 Amp" quote I assume you are in North America?

Just in case anyone is reading this thread thinking of getting a B250e in Europe, the model here are MAX 16A charging. On a single phase home charger you will get 3.3kW charging - very slow. If you connect to a 3 phase (22kw) charger it will charge at 11kW - slow. It has NO DC charging.

We did use ours for a couple of longer trips (to use up some lease miles) but it was somewhat painful. The European B250e is a nice car but It is only really suitable for local use in my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Add in the huge discount available in early 2017 (paid just over £20k for mine with Range and Exec packs) and the fact it is way comfier than a LEAF and more practical than an i3 (3 kids made that an absolute no) or ZOE which were the main competitors in 2017 - eGolf availability was pish well into 2018- and it was a good fit for what I was after.
I had heard that people picked these up cheap back in the day but even so £20k is incredible, given that they are £15k + now three years on. Fortune favours the brave (early adopter) it seems.

I've now driven a Leaf too, but more on that below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It had less than stellar reliability (was one of only 3 cars that, in 35 plus years of driving, left me getting cold waiting for the RAC), there was no affordable replacement (ours was on a £165/month 6+23 deal that was hard to resist when we saw it back in 2016) and I'd sure as hell not touch one out of warranty.
I definitely don't want to run one out of warranty either, so I am looking at examples in the main dealer network.. My wife is also insisting on a warranty as it goes, as the DSG gearbox in her Q5 let go last year shortly after 4 years and 40k miles. Thankfully we had bought the extended warranty because when I got to see the paperwork it was a bill for £8.2k to sort it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, as previously mentioned, I had a test drive in a Nissan Leaf at the weekend.

There were some issues with this particular example and frankly the dealer principle should be ashamed of himself for allowing it to be on the forecourt, but that's for another thread.

I'll be honest, it didn't seem that different from the Mercedes. A bit slower obviously, but only really obvious above 40mph and perhaps the ride was a little less sophisticated, but still a very pleasant and comfortable place. I actually preferred the driving position as it felt more like I was sitting in a car rather than being perched in one. And I thought the braking was more natural in non regen mode, whereas the B250 felt like it still had some regen even in the lowest setting. Obviously the trim and fit and finish isn't as good, but then it's about £6k less for a similar age and miles.

So, no decision yet, but if a blue B250e with Command turns up for a sensible price it will probably still get my vote. Will update as/when that happens.

Thanks to you all for the input so far, it's been good to hear the viewpoints of others.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
IMO there is a huge aesthetic difference between the old style Leaf above an B250e. The Leaf is one car me and SWMBO agree is ugly :LOL: However it does have a big benefit of rapid charging and 6.6kW option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is a thought about the range of the B after a recent road trip.

I drove to my father's house that is 103 miles from me.

I packed the car with my wife and 2 kids and ran the AC the whole time because 2 of them have allergies and I can't run with the windows cracked or down while they are in the car.

We drove at highway speeds 60/65 mph the whole time except for small sections of congestion that slowed us down to a stop or low 30's.

We reached my planned stop at a L2 charger (free EvGO) at 85.6 miles. When we arrived at the charger the GOM still read 30 miles of range. Which means that I could have driven the remaining distance to my father's house of 103 miles with about 12 miles of range to spare.

My B is a 2014 without range extender and currently has about 18,600 miles on the odometer.

The only caveat with that whole scenario would be that in my opinion, I know how to drive this car now after much practice. I typically use the paddles to control regen and use D+ to coast as much as possible when going down hill. I almost never use my brake unless it's for quick stopping.

As the saying goes, your mileage may very.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Keeping well under 70mph is sooo important, and D+ is the best when used with anticipation and gentle use of the brakes (which uses regen over friction braking).

Having the self-discipline not to keep up with the faster moving traffic is vital!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had 120 miles out of mine with the range extender.
I am going to sell mine because I am going to get a Tesla M3 as a company car. I would keep it otherwise.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts