Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Merc experts,
I'm seriously considering purchasing a used 2016-2017 b250e in California. My daily commute is 80 miles round trip, 50% highway at 65-80mph and 50% hilly country roads at 30-50mph. Temps range from 38F-75F, coastal california weather. I have a free type 2 charger at work, no charging available at home but another free type 2 charger 0.5 mile away. If I can get a good used price on this car I will fit it with the jdemo rapid charger modification so we can make extended trips into San Francisco and around the bay area. I'm hoping to keep this car ~6 years so will definitely have it out of warranty for most of my ownership. I spoke with a local Merc mechanic in the Silicon Valley and he said the only real service on these cars he's seen is changing desiccant packs for the battery, a cap and filter replacement of some sort, and topping off fluids. I need a reliable, safe, efficient car for ~$15K. One of the biggest draws for me on this car is it's weight and safety features (I just totaled my Gen1 Chevy Volt at 10mph and want something heavier and safer). What do you think, is this car a good choice for my use patterns? Am I signing myself up for nightmare repairs out of warranty?
Also, how do I check for battery degradation on these cars? It seems so easy on the Leaf's, I've read nearly all the discussions on here and haven't seen any mention of how to determine this.
Thanks in advance for weighing in!
Hannah

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Welcome. The Gen1 Volt is a very safe car (based on test results) so I don't think the B250e will be much safer, but it is a nice car to drive!

We don't actually know how safe the B250e is because there are no test results and they aren't necessarily going to be same as petrol model (which wasn't sold in North America).

Your commute will be easy if you can charge at work. In warmer weather you could do the round trip without charging at work, but it will be necessary in the colder months.

Most B250e owners (and ex owners) on here are based in UK and Europe so might not be best placed to help. The forum below has more North American owners and you may find more relevant info.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I drive a 2014 here in Maryland and recently worked with an 80 mile round trip daily commute, I made it work with at home 110v charging and 110v charging at work.. My commute consisted of some very hilly back roads and then some sections of highway speeds and I was making it usually right on the mark at 40 miles used or less depending on how I drove. You have to understand how to drive the car and it comes with a little bit of experimenting. By that I'm referring to using regen and not using it and letting the car roll free and use momentum to keep you going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Proddick and Ron. I’m grateful for your feedback. It sounds like I will need to charge on both ends, at work and home daily in the winter. I will dig around the other forum too. Good lead! Many thanks :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts