Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
ID.3 1st
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car back from the workshop - here's all the things I had told them about in advance and the status:

• Wipers and washers set for LHD = washers adjusted, I need to report wipers to VW
  • Speed limit warnings mph/kmh confusion = "postpone repairs" (VW aware, no fix yet)
  • Random braking with ACC = "postpone repairs" (VW aware, no fix yet)
  • Alarm going off when waking the car with keyless = software update applied
  • Connection status intermittently "offline" = software update applied
  • Headlights "driving on the left"= "postpone repairs" (VW aware, no fix yet)
  • Reversing camera image black screen = software update applied
  • Front assist "limited" = software update applied
  • Startup time for applets = software update applied
  • Multiple warnings on start = software update applied
  • ID light only stripes blue at junctions, not roundabouts or slip roads = I need to report to VW
  • Voice control poor recognition = software update applied
  • Lane assist over zealous = software update applied
  • Navigation not knowing addresses/postcodes = software update applied
  • Front assist kicking in (eg. seeing a pedestrian as a motorbike) = software update applied
  • 12V battery = passed tests, software update applied
  • We Connect ID connection triggers alarm = software update applied
  • Alarm going off on it's own = software update applied
  • Warm Hands option in smart climate set for LHD (air vents) = software update applied

Obviously with some items it will take me time to see if they're fixed, I can definitely say the software response is MUCH faster and the Warm Hands option now works for the driver! I'll discover more over the next couple of days I guess...

The main software version is now reported as 0783 as expected.

Oh, and I have Apple CarPlay now too 馃檪

Registered
  • Wipers and washers set for LHD = washers adjusted, I need to report wipers to VW
  • Front assist "limited" = software update applied
  • Multiple warnings on start = software update applied
  • ID light only stripes blue at junctions, not roundabouts or slip roads = I need to report to VW
  • Voice control poor recognition = software update applied
  • Lane assist over zealous = software update applied
  • Warm Hands option in smart climate set for LHD (air vents) = software update applied

[...] Warm Hands option now works for the driver!
Very interested to see your experiences after the update & which of those issues are fixed (or not), as I collected my car with 0783 and have all the problems I've quoted from your post above. Mine is going back on Monday to try the updates again.

What does "warm hands" do for you now? It does nothing in my car, so far as I can tell. I had assumed it turned on the steering wheel heater, but apparently not.

Registered
In the centre 'classic climate' tab, there's a steering wheel button on the bottom left that turns the wheel heating on. In the settings section of climate control you can set steering wheel heating to come on automatically when the temperature is low.

EGGY
Thanks for that, when they say "report to VW" did they give you contact details or are they reporting VW ? I wold be happy to chip in

Registered
ID.3 1st
Discussion Starter #5
What does "warm hands" do for you now? It does nothing in my car, so far as I can tell. I had assumed it turned on the steering wheel heater, but apparently not.
Heats the steering wheel (it always did in mine) and blows warm air through the vents either side of the driver seat, it previously blew the air out of the vents either side of the passenger seat 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
ID.3 1st
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that, when they say "report to VW" did they give you contact details or are they reporting VW ? I wold be happy to chip in
I shall be dropping the VW UK Executive Office an email tomorrow, I had a case open with them before Christmas so my email will re-open it.

Registered
That is shocking that VW have released the ID3 with so many software faults. Golf 8 is reportedly very laggy with its software too. And the build quality feel has reduced. No more VWs for me sadly.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
That is shocking that VW have released the ID3 with so many software faults. Golf 8 is reportedly very laggy with its software too. And the build quality feel has reduced. No more VWs for me sadly.
Renault?

Registered
In the centre 'classic climate' tab, there's a steering wheel button on the bottom left that turns the wheel heating on. In the settings section of climate control you can set steering wheel heating to come on automatically when the temperature is low.
Yes, I have my wheel and seat set to come on when it's cold. I'm specifically asking about the "Warm Hands" feature.

Heats the steering wheel (it always did in mine) and blows warm air through the vents either side of the driver seat, it previously blew the air out of the vents either side of the passenger seat 馃う鈥嶁檪锔
Yeah, mine still heats the passenger side whenever the climate system is in ECO due to no passenger in the seat... I guess that's one of the modules that failed during the update on my car then. Last time it was at the garage they apparently tested it & noted on their report it was working as expected. I can only assume they had Stretch Armstrong driving the car from the left hand side...

Registered
Not sure if it鈥檚 an actual shock, surprise. The bugs were well known last year with the delays. It was never going to be 100% for early adaptors and VW knew exactly what they were letting buyers into.

Registered
ID.3 1st
Discussion Starter #12
The software has definitely come a long way from the original 0564 version to the current 0783/2.0 version, with who knows how many module firmware updates to go with it.

The rollout of the 鈥減roper鈥 2.1 software in the next couple of months will take the car to the level it deserves to be (and should have been in the first place!)

I鈥檓 really happy with the progress to date, they also need to add a LOT more functionality into the phone app.

Registered
I shall be dropping the VW UK Executive Office an email tomorrow, I had a case open with them before Christmas so my email will re-open it.
Good luck with that. I've been referred back to the local dealer several times.
I wanted to know who to contact to feedback to and I've been told the dealer network, who will report back to VW technical in Germany.
I can't imagine that being the best way for them to hear what their customers really think of the car age what they want sorted.

Registered
I am surprised to see that YOU need to report all the faults to VW. Your car is under warranty and what is the role of the authorised dealer if you are the one to handle all the reports and communication with VW? I am lost here....

Registered
I am surprised to see that YOU need to report all the faults to VW. Your car is under warranty and what is the role of the authorised dealer if you are the one to handle all the reports and communication with VW? I am lost here....
'Cause some of us don't trust the dealer network to report the faults there are no fix for yet. Most people take the path of least resistance and don't create work for theirselves, our comments make it no further than the workshop door most of the time. The more people let VW know we're not happy the way it is the more likely they are to do something about it!
That's my thought process on it and why I'm more vocal than most when there's a problem.

Registered
ID.3 1st
Discussion Starter #17
I understand what you mean, those 2 specific items are essentially ones where VW are saying 鈥渢hat鈥檚 just how the car works鈥 and are therefore product changes/improvements than actual faults (in their eyes)

Registered
What I'm surprised at is the naivety of anyone who buys the first version of anything and expects a perfect product, especially when everything is so software dependent these days. Software is one of those products that are expected to have snags and follow on updates.

It's a complex piece of engineering that has to work in an enormous operating window considering the underlying platform will be sold in most parts of the world under numerous branding.

Registered
What I'm surprised at is the naivety of anyone who buys the first version of anything and expects a perfect product, especially when everything is so software dependent these days. Software is one of those products that are expected to have snags and follow on updates.

It's a complex piece of engineering that has to work in an enormous operating window considering the underlying platform will be sold in most parts of the world under numerous branding.
I don't think anyone would have bought a 1st expecting it to be "perfect" (myself included) but "functional and safe" is a requirement. I don't think the car being a complex machine is any excuse. They are no more complex than any other car these days, just because they have an electric motor instead of an ICE. There's slightly more additional tech, but none of it is revolutionary and almost all of it is in other cars already.

My list of issues to the dealer is segregated into two sections - Serious faults and feedback. Under the faults section I have things like the driver display randomly rebooting while driving, unable to charge without multiple uplug/replug attempts, assist system errors (unknown if false alerts or actual faults), random and unexpected ACC braking while driving. The other stuff like climate control being set for LHD and crappy voice control are listed as feedback.

Ultimately if the car has issues that could be a danger to me or others it needs fixing immediately. Also if it can't be charged or is dead due to a 12v issue and is thus undriveable, that's a showstopper. For anything outside of those scenarios, although annoying, I think most people would be patient enough to wait a while.

Registered
ID.3 1st
Discussion Starter #20

I knew it wasn't perfect, it still isn't, and I don't expect it to be once the 2.1 software is rolled out. It's already a bloody good car and can only get better.

I'll keep reporting the issues to VW as they've asked me to do - some are more serious than others but all are worth them knowing about even if just for customer feedback.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts