Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This is about BEVs only, not the hybrid Ioniq just to be crystal clear.)

I looked at buying a 2017 Ioniq a year ago (Viewing an Ioniq Today) but my wife (and daughter) decided no. Asking price was 16 million pesos (£18,000) with 26500km (16,500 miles). We can only afford that if everyone agrees and it becomes the main family car.

After waiting a year, I've now seen, for the first time, an Ioniq in the market for a low enough price that I can afford to buy it on my own account, and my wife buy something else for her. The car was first registered in Chile in April 2017, which makes it one of the first 100 electric cars sold in the country ever, and probably in the first 10 Ioniqs. It has an above average mileage of 69.040km (43,000 miles).

The car is a Europcar rental car. I suppose people drive rentals less carefully and it may have had a disproportionate amount of fast charging or charging to 100%.On the other hand rental car companies probably look after their cars OK with maintenance/cleaning. However I'm inclined to think the bad outweighs the good here, but this also seems to have been factored in the asking price of 12,900,000 (£12,100, exchange rate has improved). It looks like a good deal. Maybe even leaning slightly in the direction of too good to be true.

The other two Ioniqs currently on sale in Chile are at 16.900.000 for a 2017 Ioniq (35.787km) which looks over priced and 17.900.000 for a 2018 Ioniq.

I am off to see the car and maybe test drive it tomorrow afternoon (evening UK time) and then maybe take a decision by next week. The car's description and photos are here: Hyundai Ioniq Ev Gls Electrico 2017 Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

With regards the appropriateness of going to test drive a non-essential purpose in the midst of the COVID-19 situation, keep in mind that there are no rules against this here, and that there are only 100 recorded COVID-19 deaths here in the whole country so far, with a death rate per person of 40 times less than the UK (despite the testing rate being about the same). So it seems to me that the risk of NOT buying this car (from air pollution and climate change) is probably just as high or higher, even assuming I bought an electric car a few months later anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Looking at the above photo from this car, is it possible to tell whether the car still has its original range of 200km+ or whether's it's reduced? It says 116km (which I'm assuming is the estimate of range left), but it looks like it was not fully charged at the time of the photo. I'm assuming when the white bars on the right go up to the top it is fully charged and would go up in proportion and be about 200km. Or does the estimated range vary so much based on the driving style or type of driving of whoever used it for the day before, that it would be useless info to judge anything from that 116km number? Can we at the very least say almost for sure that the battery isn't seriously degraded? Thanks.(Where I live there is a very mild winter and that was a long time ago, so we can rule out cold weather as a factor, it would more likely have been hot when the photo was taken.)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Yes, but.....
That's a GOM (Guess-O-Meter) which uses a combination of the current battery level and the recent average energy consumption to calculate range. If the car has been driven carefully on the flat the estimate will be high, driven hard the estimate will be low. It doesn't really tell you anything about battery condition.
Given the water cooled battery it should be in good condition. What guarantee do Hyundai offer in Chile, and is that lost if the car has been used for hire?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mine does 140 miles at 20c, AC is a significant power use. So 113 km at that level looks good. Get them, or get it charged up during the test drive. On the main screen you should find menu and in EV somewhere is a history of the recent trips, how far and the average kWh/100km, this gives an indication of how the car has been used.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hyundai guarantee in Chile offers 100,000 km or 5 miles, whichever is first. This car is 3 years old with 69,000 km so the guarantee has 1-2 years to run depending on mileage.

I don't know whether it being a hire car has an impact. I've called to ask, but no answer, so emailed them.

I also asked in the message if they confirm that the battery guarantee is 8 years in Chile. That's what the owner of the Ioniq I looked at buying told me last year.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine does 140 miles at 20c, AC is a significant power use. So 113 km at that level looks good. Get them, or get it charged up during the test drive. On the main screen you should find menu and in EV somewhere is a history of the recent trips, how far and the average kWh/100km, this gives an indication of how the car has been used.
Good idea so kWH/100km ought to be around 13-14 I think, right. (28kWH is the real, usable battery I believe.)

So if I see numbers of 13-14 (or higher) on recent trips and they are able to display 200km on the range (I've asked them to fully charge it) then this would indicate that the realistic range really is still 200km.

However, a concern would be if the numbers were lower, say 11kWH/100km on recent trips. Such numbers might indicate that the car has been driven very carefully in order to display say 200km range, or without fast motorway driving, and I'll more realistically get a smaller range like 160km or 180km out of it.

Does this seem correct? Do I understand right?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You are liable to see a different range of numbers depending on how far the car been driven each time. It should show the distance and the associated kWh/100km. I am not sure what the figures are, but I get 4.5 - 6m/kWh. With a range of 200km, then about 14kWh/100km is to be expected.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Good luck. At that price (in £ at least...) I would be quite tempted. In my personal view, the 28kWh is a better option for most than the 38kWh - the range is long enough for most people's daily usage on a normal charge, but it rapid charges much faster (in terms of km/minute) than the 38kWh - so is much better for longer journeys (assuming there are rapid chargers available on likely longer routes).

EDIT: for reference, I don't think I've seen an Ioniq in the UK for less than about £19k so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah I decided to have a look on Auto Trader earlier on and all the UK Ioniqs are 20k+, even for 2017. Seems a bit pricey. But a lot of them say premium. In Chile I think the version that typically gets sold is more basic. I'm not sure how much difference that is.

"find menu and in EV somewhere is a history of the recent trips, how far and the average kWh/100km". I couldn't find where it said menu, or find such an option.I did see when I got in the car the dash was already showing
Prom
20.3kwH/100km
I suppose prom might mean "promedio" in Spanish meaning "average".

The car seemed fine in the test drive. There are some small scratches/damage at the front, possibly as as a result of a small collision around the front number plate. A bit disappointing for a 2017 car, but I think again reflected in the price, which they are willing to negotiate on.

I'll probably reflect and decide on Monday.

The guy selling the car told me the battery warranty is 8 years or 300,000km, whichever comes first.

The car had no spare wheel and only the one charger, the one for regular charging from a socket at home.

·
Registered
392 Posts
In my personal view, the 28kWh is a better option for most than the 38kWh - the range is long enough for most people's daily usage on a normal charge, but it rapid charges much faster (in terms of km/minute) than the 38kWh - so is much better for longer journeys (assuming there are rapid chargers available on likely longer routes).
Charging time is not a big issue in the UK where most rapids are 50kW anyway!
The longer range of the 38 is a definite advantage here.
I would not now consider a 28 for our usage in the UK.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The guy selling the car told me the battery warranty is 8 years or 300,000km, whichever comes first.
In the UK the battery is guaranteed for 70% charge for 8 years/125 K miles. (200,000 km). I'd check that 300,000 figure if it's important to you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the car and have it at home. This is my first EV.

I checked with a servicing company in the supply chain and they told me that the battery guarantee is 8 years or 160,000 km, whichever comes first, which is a bit different to what I was told above. I didn't follow up further (yet) because I was going to buy the car at the price it was offered at regardless of the answer.

I've even been told by a dealer/ service company that the battery guarantee is only valid if servicing were carried out every 10km. The company that sold me the vehicle says that they did the servicing, but they can't prove it as they didn't keep a stamped service record. So there is even some doubt if the guarantee will be valid at all. In any case, I decided to buy the car anyway even though the guarantee's validity is not 100%.

In the UK, and other countries, is that normal for an Ioniq, that you need a service every 10km to keep the battery in guarantee? I'm not sure what you do with a battery in a service anyway.

I got them to charge the vehicle up to full and when I went to pick it up they somehow managed to display an impressive 270km (168 miles) on the GOM. Not that I believe that of course, but hopefully it means I can still get >200km out of it.

Thank you all again for your help.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
We have similar requirements for dealer servicing to maintain battery warranty, but every 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or 12 months.
Enjoy your new purchase!

·
Registered
22 Posts
270km in the GOM is excellent. In Finland at least the manufacturer guarantee is valid it the car is serviced every year or 15 000km which one comes first. Even 15 000km is a total rip off and if your dealer demands every 10 000km then it is just absurd.

·
Registered
499 Posts
In ireland on a Kona its 15000 kilometers but at less than €100 per service worth getting done for peace of mind

1 - 15 of 15 Posts