Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now I have an electric car but, I need an one hour charge at work to get safely back home. There are no public chargers in the area and my electric cord has been identified as a "tripping hazard" at work. I have only one practical option left, carry a small generator and burn about a pint of gas each day before leaving work. I am ready to kick gas but, the world needs places to plug in. Imagine if there were places to charge at work, at shopping centers and every 40 miles just off of the highways. Imagine electric cars that can go hundreds of miles on a single charge and then charge to 80% in only 30 minuets or perhaps, charge for only 15 minuets just to get you where you need to be. We have this technology now but plans to implement it in the USA have stalled. We also need a solid national standard for charging cars so that every charging station can charge any EV. I am watching the rest of the world move forward with all kinds of new transportation systems, alternative fuels, and energy projects. Where are we going? Back to coal I guess? Back to fossil fuels and pumping up the stuff up as fast as we can until it is finally gone forever? I think that by the time our resources run out it will be too late for mankind to find a way forward. This is why we need gas at $12 a gallon really soon!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Frustrating, but the future is already here - you can buy three different models of electric car with range over 200 miles already. Your workplace will eventually install charging (and then you get the next struggle of fighting over spaces with your colleagues!) and so will the local supermarket and shopping mall.

This is just the beginning, but it is the beginning and not the end.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn`t you fit a roof rack with 3 x 250W solar panels,two that hinge/fold out? maybe an all day trickle charge might be enough?
Perhaps I could carry a flexible solar matt that can be unrolled over the top of the entire car. I believe that on a Sunny day I could add about 7 miles to the range while parked at work. This is an expensive option however.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Get the health and safety bod

Do a risk assessment about your charging cable.

Providing they have an IQ higher then a plant pot then you should be able to come up with a solution.

I am willing t bet that there is another issue but they have rolled out elf and safety as they can't think of any other reason

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Add some more capacity to your battery pack? :)
Certainly I could add some battery cells. I have 100 Ah cells in the back of the car but, I wish I had 140 Ah cells instead. Now the problem is mainly cost. I can add additional cells or replace the existing cells with larger ones. Either way this will add weight also. The generator that I am carrying in the trunk can fully charge the car while I am at work so, I guess this proves that a generator as a range extender is not a bad idea. The generator is not always convenient when it is raining or snowing. One way or another I am determined to drive it to work this Summer.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The going back to oil/etc bit is a bit OTT really. The problem here isn't what power source you're using or a problem with the planetary resources - it's a problem of nannying over common sense. I agree with thinforth - cover the cable or ask the H+S bod what the solution is and just charge it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Most companies have some kind of environmental statement.

In my last job I used this to the full, showing how I was reducing CO2 emissions, local pollution and noise. It got to a director and they literally installed a charge point the next day.
This!

Our company achieved BREEAM certification for our new HQ specifically because of having installed EV charging stations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds like a logistic interruption. Providing charging ports is one thing another issue is 3 hours of charging time. Technology is refining and hopefully we get a sustainable solution.
<a href="http://www.anzael.com"> Anzael </a>

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
There really should be some kind of rule somewhere that allows ev charging as long as it's paid for and safe. This kind of thing is going on all too often and it's almost always needless.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I still think you are trying desperately to find a $1000 solution to a $5 problem

Just fix the cable so it is no longer a trip hazard

It isn't rocket science
Lets face it, the cord is not really a trip hazard. It is just one of any number of reasons not to allow electric vehicles to plug in at work. There would be another reason waiting just behind the first. Our business relies on pollution and emissions testing. The EV does not in any way support the business model. Because there is no cord made that can reach the outlet and no chargers in the area, my generator is not just a solution, it is really noisy too. I like it! It is certainly annoying and I am waiting for someone to ask me why I don't simply plug the car in while I am at work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is
This!

Our company achieved BREEAM certification for our new HQ specifically because of having installed EV charging stations.
That is great and that is the spirit that people should have. Here in the USA we are about to scratch the EPA and return to burning coal. Environmental concerns will not be allowed to get in the way of business profits or jobs. The new administration is not interested in Global Warming, carbon emissions, etc. This is why I strongly believe that we literally must run out of cheap petroleum before much interest in eclectic cars will take first place in the consciousness of the American people.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Absolutl
There really should be some kind of rule somewhere that allows ev charging as long as it's paid for and safe. This kind of thing is going on all too often and it's almost always needless.
absolutely but, there is no such provision. It would be easier to get a watering station for my horse. I see lots of parking meters in the city. I wish we could take those out and replace them with chargers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts