Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Niro EV,

been trying to figure out how to lower the volume of the beep when in reverse, it is really loud in 2020 (yes if you have a 2019 or earlier is is quieter, I know)

There apparently have been several versions of electronics and volume levels. The first had a module above the glove box, with a 45 watt amplifier, and only sent 2 wires to the speaker behind the "grill", so you could take out the glove box, put in a switch, a resistor, etc. I know this is the case in the 2017

Sometime later muting the sound could be done with a switch on the dash, not exactly sure if it muted the backup, or the airplane noise or both. The switch is in the group of 4 left of the steering wheel.

My 2020 has a "blank switch" in that location, but the wiring is different from the Hyundai (more mods to them available online) and to make it worse, the switch, when fitted, goes to contacts that have no wires in the plug in the wiring harness..

Oh well, continuing to investigate how to stifle my backup beep that befits a caterpillar tractor.

My "trip" so far:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still waiting for my My20 (imminent apparently) so don't know if it'll have the Vess button, but if not I've been thinking about bypassing the fuse by making a fuse bypass cable with a switch attached (or getting a Blue Ox BX8827 bypass lead).
Cabin fuse allocation is in the manual.
But could this be used while the engine is on so you can reestablish the link while driving (to get smart cruise control and other items on the same fuse back) or just when stopped and switched off?
Has anyone tried such a thing? Apart from warranty and insurance risks, any others?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can find a fuse that only controls the vess, that would make sense.... yeah, you could have a stickler make noise about the warranty, and there has been discussion about the legal implications, and I don't want to start that mess again.

Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Main Vess fuse module (4) doesn't seem to control any other essential items. But I'm pretty sure I'll have a Vess button so can only sympathise with the problem.
At night on a private driveway why have to disturb neighbours when just manoeuvring the car?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
UK manual states module 4 is...
'Crash Pad Switch, MFC Module, AEB Module, Blind Spot Detection, Radar Left Handle side/Right Handle side, VESS, Console Upper EXTN (STR'G WHEEL HEATED)'

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll leave my fuse in, and look for a more specific solution, I don't want to be cycling my "defeat" switch every time I run the car, and do not want to leave all those devices disabled.

I guess each of us have their own definition of "non-essential" :)

Greg

·
Registered
313 Posts
Still waiting for my My20 (imminent apparently) so don't know if it'll have the Vess button,
It does have a VESS button and as far as can see that will silence the reversing sound as well. I think it is important to turn the VESS back on again to make sure pedestrians are warned about the approach of a nearly silent car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great, thank you. I will happily have the sound on in town, car parks etc but no sense to it when in my driveway or stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
221 Posts
So does the Niro have an external reversing beeper, similar to what many trucks and vans have? My Prius has an internal beeper to remind that you are in R. I don’t fancy having an external one though. If it has, I hope it can be disabled, one way or another. I reverse into my driveway, an external beeper annoying the neighbours would not be acceptable to me.

Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
So does the Niro have an external reversing beeper, similar to what many trucks and vans have? My Prius has an internal beeper to remind that you are in R. I don’t fancy having an external one though. If it has, I hope it can be disabled, one way or another. I reverse into my driveway, an external beeper annoying the neighbours would not be acceptable to me.

Peter
You need reminding that your in Reverse?!

But yes, the e Niro has an external reversing beeper, LOUDER than what many trucks and vans have!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, there is plenty written about how to make it quiet, just read the threads on all 4 forums ;)

Yes there is a speaker behind the grill, yes it is very loud in the 2020, yes, no easy way to disable.

Greg

·
Registered
505 Posts
It does have a VESS button and as far as can see that will silence the reversing sound as well. I think it is important to turn the VESS back on again to make sure pedestrians are warned about the approach of a nearly silent car.
VESS on a kona will revert to ON when the ignition is cycled so you will have to switch it off every time along with the LDW and switch on Auto Hold. Once those checks are complete "clear prop" and away you go

Reactions: ARB71

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
221 Posts
You need reminding that your in Reverse?!

But yes, the e Niro has an external reversing beeper, LOUDER than what many trucks and vans have!
Yes it’s not as daft as it sounds! Suppose you come up to a junction, then overshoot and need to back up slightly. Then (if there was no R beeper) you forget to exit R. Then the lights change to green and you gun it (forgetting you’re still in R). The result could be catastrophic!

That E Niro reverse beeper (external) sounds horrendous to me. Does the VESS disable switch also kill the reverse beeper speaker?

Peter

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
51 Posts
You can turn it down. it has 3 settings for the noise and I have mine on 2. If you go into the user settings on the steering wheel menu, it’s under the sound menu, hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts