Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We've had our Leaf since Thursday and bought it from a Chorley Nissan - Wigan. However the closest dealer to us is Fred Coupe in Walton-le-Dale. My other half had a test drive with them but the car they had in was £2000 more expensive than the one we saw at Wigan so we decided on the cheaper car(same spec!).

We're having our home charge point fitted on December 3rd and Fred Coupe is the closest dealer to us so we have been charging there over the last few days.

Today, however, we have had a bad experience.

My other half rang them ahead at 5pm and asked what time they would be open till so he can charge. The sales person on the phone clocked his name and asked why we didn't buy a car from them instead of Wigan to which my other half said that it was purely down to price. They said they were open till 6 but that they usually close the charger at 5:30. My other half said he would try to get there for 5:30 but it may be 5:40 as he was on his way back from work. No problem, and he rung off.

He arrives at the dealer to be met by the salesman that tried to sell him the car at the weekend to be told that he couldn't use the charger(neither the Type 2 or the Rapid) now, or leaving it overnight. By this point he had 12 miles range as he had rushed to get to the garage as close to 5:30 as possible and he explained this but the salesman wouldn't let him use the charger and he was forced to come home.

His only option now is to drive 9 miles to Charnock Richard which is the closest rapid.

The whole thing just seems rather petty to me, purely because we didn't buy a car from their garage and makes me so angry!!

Does anyone know whether Nissan have a charging policy that they supply to their dealers? We have escalated a complaint directly with Nissan who agreed that we haven't been treated well but they didn't know anything about a policy(she was going to find out).

·
Registered
588 Posts
All of my experiences, the experiences my wife has had and all the experiences of the people I know who have a Leaf, have all been nothing short of disgraceful at Fred Coupe in Walton-Le-Dale. I mean that in every sense of the word, it's diabolical.

With such great service at many Nissan dealerships, it's a real shame they're so bad. I once turned up there in need of a charge to find a demo vehicle on charge. I popped inside to ask if I could use the charger to be met by a very rude and abrupt member of staff. "We have a vehicle on charge". Yes, I realise that, hence my coming inside to ask if I could possibly jump in if there was no immediate need for their vehicle to be charged, like a waiting customer or imminent test drive. He wouldn't answer my question, but explained that because their vehicle was on charge first, I would have to wait. So, I asked again just to get some clarification and again he told me that it didn't matter because their vehicle was on charge first and they needed to charge it to 100%. He advised I 'either wait or drive to the nearest charger at Charnock Richards'. Wonderful customer service.

My wife was treated like nothing short of a total idiot and was condescended in such a manner that, looking back, I'm quite glad I wasn't present because I'd have probably gotten quite angry. She arrived and started to charge our car as no one was using the charger only to have someone rush out and confront her like she was trying to steal the damn thing. The guy was in a flap about how customers are under 'no circumstances' to touch the charger themselves and that all charges must be started and ended by a member of staff. What an utterly ridiculous statement to make, my wife is more than capable of using the device that charges our exclusively electric powered vehicle. Not only that, but she was not permitted to use the charger because she had not rung in advance to book an appointment slot. When she asked if she was using the slot and getting in the way of the apparently invisible queue, she was told that it didn't matter, you had to book. We were very fortunate that he decided to 'let her off' this time and complete the charge... At one point during the charge, she got out to check the progress on the screen and again, the chappy, who apparently had nothing better to do than sit and watch her, came running out to tell her that he would disconnect it. She was just checking progress and got back in the car. Once it had completed she quickly disconnected and left without giving anyone the opportunity to approach her.

A friend of mine who frequently visits family on the outskirts of Preston no longer visits the dealership as every single time he has had to charge there he's told me about some kind of issue. He didn't ring and book in advance, he can't plug it in himself and has to wait, he's not allowed to unplug it, and, people have turned up to use it who apparently booked in at extremely odd times (like 27 minutes past or 8 minutes to the hour) and he's been told he has to disconnect. What utter garbage.

If there is indeed a member of Nissan GB on the forum then please feel free to take the above as a formal complaint. I, nor anyone that I can convince, will visit that particular dealership thanks to what is possibly some of the worst customer service and treatment I've ever had the misfortune to receive. Nissan Leaf drivers who frequently visit your dealerships are prime customer relation opportunities. At times when businesses are struggling with footfall, you literally have a giant Nissan Leaf driver magnet out in the forecourt and this particular dealership seem to want to do nothing but repel your customers. What about all those fabulous selling opportunities when my car is a few years old or approaching the end of finance? Not a chance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so sorry that you, your wife and your friends have had to go through all this. Yet I'm quite glad that it isn't just us!

Looking forward to a response from @NissanGB at some point.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's awful @ScottHelme but at least it means @helen_xxxx wasn't being singled out... I guess?!

Yes @NissanGB are here, but maybe not at this hour, so hopefully they can look at this dealership and their track record!?
I imagine she wasn't being singled out for bad treatment as it seems to be the de facto standard over there. That said, I wouldn't rule out it being a factor.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think the point in your initial comment that really rings in my head is "They said they were open till 6 but that they usually close the charger at 5:30".

What possible reason could there be? The very last thing that I imagine they will do is lock the gates on the way out. Even if they do close at 6, someone could still be sat on the charger until everyone is out of the car park and they're about to lock the gate. Removing access to what could be a vital service for a Leaf driver 30 minutes, a full 80% charge, before the place even closes is just madness.

·
Registered
Leaf 40
866 Posts
Not excusing the appalling attitude of the dealer but don't you have an EVSE you can use to charge from 13A socket?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sadly, it is.

Blackburn and Burnley aren't too far away and are both excellent locations if you're in the area. I even took the time to tweet them after a particularly nice experience recently:
Stockport is also really good though you do have to go in and ask for the card but they're always happy to help you.

·
Dan
56 Posts
We really should point the management of the Nissan Fred Coupe in Walton-Le-Dale to this thread. Sadly enough I imagine those people are the ones creating these bizarre rules.
I am @helen_xxxx partner that had all the issues with Fred Coupe today. After leaving the dealership with 11% battery left and the closest rapid charging point being 9 miles away I left frustrated, angry and shocked. Seeing as I bought the car from a Nissan dealership you would think that I'd be welcomed with open arms, pleased to see me and patting my on the back for making sure a well though out decision on joining the 'Nissan Family'. But that's just a pipe dream in a bitter competitive market place between local dealerships.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly, it is.

Blackburn and Burnley aren't too far away and are both excellent locations if you're in the area. I even took the time to tweet them after a particularly nice experience recently:
Stockport is also really good though you do have to go in and ask for the card but they're always happy to help you.
Yes, Wigan told us they were experts and Burnley are actually the dealers that have helped us sort our home charger out. I'm sure we'll pay them a visit :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, Wigan told us they were experts and Burnley are actually the dealers that have helped us sort our home charger out. I'm sure we'll pay them a visit :)
If you do go to Burnley make sure to find Richard and tell him you know Scott ;-) I'm sure he will just run off! I may have been a bit ambitious with my arm twisting during our price negotiations.. *chuckle*

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
We really should point the management of the Nissan Fred Coupe in Walton-Le-Dale to this thread. Sadly enough I imagine those people are the ones creating these bizarre rules.
I am @helen_xxxx partner that had all the issues with Fred Coupe today. After leaving the dealership with 11% battery left and the closest rapid charging point being 9 miles away I left frustrated, angry and shocked. Seeing as I bought the car from a Nissan dealership you would think that I'd be welcomed with open arms, pleased to see me and patting my on the back for making sure a well though out decision on joining the 'Nissan Family'. But that's just a pipe dream in a bitter competitive market place between local dealerships.
After such a fantastic reception I am sure you are going to get all your servicing done there now:D

·
Registered
610 Posts
After they gave you the test drive and their time, to repeatedly go back with the same car from another dealer and take their electricity at their cost is a tad too cheeky. Not sure if many dealers would welcome that especially if you're expecting then to wait for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After they gave you the test drive and their time, to repeatedly go back with the same car from another dealer and take their electricity at their cost is a tad too cheeky. Not sure if many dealers would welcome that especially if you're expecting then to wait for you.
I'm not sure I can agree? We have no loyalty to their dealership and didn't pick another for any reason other than the price! The chargers are there to be used by whomever needs them I don't think it should only be for people who purchase a car from them.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you look at it from their point of view, I think they've been quite controlled. Did you go back to them before you bought it and give then a chance to compete or go back after to let them know why.

Or was the first time they realised they'd been undercut was why you turned up for a free charge?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I hope Nissan GB tears that dealership a new one. Disgraceful behaviour.

And haven't Nissan paid for the chargers to be used by all Nissan customers, regardless of where they purchased their car? Terrible.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.