Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
I'd suspect the coach might be faulty if others manage to charge on the same chargers. If they've been touring around on fumes then the 12v might be getting flat. Multiple failed charges seem to send a lot of cars into a fritz until they have a successful one so I'd think a long slow charge might be what is needed.

I'd assume they'd have a granny charger and a long high powered weather proof extension lead with them...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,187 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was on a boating forum that I am on and they dont like electric vehicles, so any chance they get they put links up to diss them! I looked at the fault and thought broken chinese bus straight away

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Doesn't this look very much as if they are trying to make a point, rather than them having a genuine problem?

Call me suspicious, but they got down to Cornwall OK, and were able to charge, yet now they are stuck at a high profile eco centre, after the G7, and are using their apparent breakdown to highlight the poor state of UK charging infrastructure, which is one of their aims. There's no doubt that the infrastructure does need a great deal of improvement, but I can't help thinking that this all looks just a bit too convenient as a way to get some publicity about it.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,284 Posts
Tried 5 chargers, but most on the same network, sounds like a Bus issue. But heck several on the same network have the network operator claiming "problem is your car" oops coach, or at least that's the number 1 top bullshit bingo excuse reply in Scotland.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,764 Posts
How many chargers were physically accessible to the coach?
There's a list of the ones they tried in the article linked above.
Looks like they tried every 50kW+ rapid within the coach's diminishing range.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
There's a list of the ones they tried in the article linked above.
Looks like they tried every 50kW+ rapid within the coach's diminishing range.
I know some of the ones up here must be hard enough to get into with larger EVs and there would be no way that a bus could access them without blocking off the road/car park where they are situated.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
How many people set off on a fairly long trip in an EV without doing the slightest bit of route planning?

Maybe I'm odd, but I check out possible charging locations before I set off. If I was driving something like this bus, which is far bigger than the majority of charger parking spaces, I think I'd have been pretty careful to find possible charging locations that would allow easy access for big vehicles. I'm pretty sure that very few rapid charging locations have yet been built to take buses, in exactly the same way as lots of filling stations aren't built to take buses.

I'm pretty certain that this is primarily a publicity stunt, even though they are making a valid point.

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
It's a very valid point, is my eNiro a dodgy chines bus? No. So why don't brand new "Gridserve" chargers work??

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Seriously, how many people driving something the size of that bus, would expect to be able to get it to fit in charging bays that are almost universally sized to take cars?

I remember driving a horse box years ago and finding that there were a lot of filling stations that didn't have room for something that size, and it wasn't as big as that bus. Often it's only some filling stations on major routes that have enough room to take something that size.

Just to be absolutely clear, the poor charging infrastructure point they are making is valid, but I think that the means they have chosen to highlight it is so deeply flawed that it may well cause critics to undermine their point.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Interesting to see their attitude to other drivers by their parking:

Normally buses aren't allowed into the car area of service stations, but clearly they feel that they are entitled.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,764 Posts
Interesting to see their attitude to other drivers by their parking:

View attachment 145899

Normally buses aren't allowed into the car area of service stations, but clearly they feel that they are entitled.
They have to go where the chargers are, I guess.
I've yet to see a rapid in the coach parking area of any MSA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts