Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Saturday afternoon, in Stony Stratford I tried to do my first public charge, it's not a big place and there are three public chargers so I was quite optimistic but soon it turned into great disappointment to find that two of the chargers were ICE'd and the third one had a Leaf which wasn't even plugged in.
I think I was more disappointed with the Leaf than with the ICEs; he/she should've known better. :(

IMG_20160206_160038000.jpg
IMG_20160206_160510980.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope you got back OK. :(:mad:
I did John. Luckily it wasn't an emergency so I didn't mind it too much but made me think of no matter how much you plan your trip, particularly if it includes charging at town centres as opposed to motorways.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Are the spaces marked, or signed for "Electric charging only" if not, and I can't see any markings, then you can't really blame them.

Ice drivers won't spot the post - and probably don't know what it is!

If the carpark is small they are often not marked. If it was full of empty spaces, drop a note to the owners asking for the spaces to be marked

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the spaces marked, or signed for "Electric charging only" if not, and I can't see any markings, then you can't really blame them.

Ice drivers won't spot the post - and probably don't know what it is!

If the carpark is small they are often not marked. If it was full of empty spaces, drop a note to the owners asking for the spaces to be marked
The double one was marked with "Electric vehicle" but I missed it in the photo. Not sure about the other one though. Nonetheless if there isn't a legal enforcement over these spaces (and I don't believe there is?) it doesn't matter how many marks you put because people know they won't get fined.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Councils can issue penalties, if it's in their T&C's

Note that the signs should say "charging". If it just says Electric Vehicles, then the leaf can park there - even if he's not charging.

If there were other spaces in the car park, then that's a bit inconsiderate of him - to block the charger - if the car park was full....... Then I guess he obeyed the signs

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Without council reinforcement there's no hope. And yes, the car park was full, so none of the cars parked was doing anything illegal which means that the system is very very flaky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts