Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else on 2.0 with wireless CarPlay find that occasionally, rather than launching straight into CarPlay it brings up a menu where you can choose between CarPlay and Baidu Carlife? It usually happens if I park in a busier location, so my first thought was that it is probably my ID.3 batting its eyelids at passing strangers' mobile phones, but some Googling leads me to believe that Baidu Carlife is only really used in China, so I can't imagine that many people are using it in Gloucester.

How do I get it to remember that I want it to use CarPlay every time?

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
147 Posts
I think Baidu Carlife is the Chinese equivalent to Android Auto- as Google services aren't available in China. Very odd to see it on the software version for the European market!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it hasn't happened to anyone else, next time it pops up I'll tap the Baidu Carlife button and see what happens. Though, if my car starts talking to me in Mandarin from then on I will regret my choices!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
If it hasn't happened to anyone else, next time it pops up I'll tap the Baidu Carlife button and see what happens. Though, if my car starts talking to me in Mandarin from then on I will regret my choices!
Exciting times!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
This happened to me the other night parked outside a supermarket.

I did think it was strange that it was listing a phone other than those connected via bluetooth/wifi/cable. I assume pressing it would just trigger an alert on whoever's phone saying do you want to connect? Though they might say yes?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This happened to me the other night parked outside a supermarket.

I did think it was strange that it was listing a phone other than those connected via bluetooth/wifi/cable. I assume pressing it would just trigger an alert on whoever's phone saying do you want to connect? Though they might say yes?
Well that was my assumption too, as it also tends to happen in supermarket car parks for me. But after Googling it, I'm fairly sure it only exists on phones in China (or at least, is in Mandarin) as their local rival to Android Auto. So it seems like an odd service for phones passing by my car in a supermarket in Gloucestershire to have on them.

I think the only way to solve the mystery is going to be selecting it the next time it comes up to see what happens. When I do I will keep my eyes peeled for anyone in the carpark looking in confusion at a weird notification about an ID.3 that has suddenly popped up on their phone :LOL:

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I'm sure there's plenty of phones around the UK running it, be interesting to see when I run into an Amazon/Echo auto one.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it appeared today so I pressed it and... (pauses to create suspense)... nothing happened :LOL: It just loaded CarPlay from my phone as (kind of) normal. I say kind of because it loaded it in a bit of a glitchy way where it didn't go properly full screen, so I had to press the home button and go back into CarPlay to fix that.

Also, it happened in my driveway, with no neighbours around (unless they were hiding behind a tree!), so doesn't appear to be trying to go to other people's phones when it does it.

So, looks like one for the bug fix team for the next update! Bit disappointed by the anticlimax... I was waiting for the People's Liberation Army to appear suddenly and take control of my car. No such excitement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts