Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost came disastrously to grief recently. Bakewell has 8 7kw chargers listed on Zap Map. But when I got there, the units (all branded Chargemaster) were impossible to use without an RFID card. They don’t appear on the Chargemaster or Polar apps so there seemed to be no alternative. With the nearest rapids being in Sheffield I thought I was screwed. To great relief I eventually managed to convince the helpline operator to initiate a charge for me remotely.

This has left me confused. How SHOULD I be using these units? Chargemaster don’t even issue RFID now I thought? And i absolutely don’t want a Polar subscription.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,895 Posts
Are they part of the D2N2 thing which is rfid only? That's all derbyshire and Nottinghamshire way.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
This has left me confused. How SHOULD I be using these units? Chargemaster don’t even issue RFID now I thought? And i absolutely don’t want a Polar subscription.
Chargemaster and Polar are the same company. You get an RFID when you subscribe to Polar Plus. That would have started the charger for you. Trouble is the subscription is £7.85 a month. You got to need a lot of charging for that amount.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
The only App that starts those chargers is the CYC one, so you don’t need a Polar RFID or subscription.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. This does typify the chaotic state of our charging network!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,895 Posts
D2n2 rapid chargers definitely work with a polar rfid card as I tried one. It also showed normal contactless as available. There were 2 readers on it. The slower posts probably only have the one reader which is why it's more annoying.

By the end of the year all chargers apparently have to allow access with no sign up and no pre existing credit etc so it should be possible to use any charger off the hoof. Some seem to be doing web interfaces so it still requires a smartphone. Still more trouble than petrol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have an RFID for Polar unfortunately, and they won't offer one unless on subscription

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't have an RFID for Polar unfortunately, and they won't offer one unless on subscription
Have they stopped doing the "first 3 months free" subscription offer ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts