Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been reading through old posts to try and get an answer to my question but cannot seem to find anything definitive.

Basically Im looking to unplug my car as soon as its fully charged but AFTER its finished balancing.

Some people are saying its balanced after all the lights have gone out at 100%, and in fact I get the alert that my car has finished charging.

Others suggest to leave it plugged in for at least 4 hours after the lights go out, suggesting it goes on balancing after its reported its stopped charging and lights Gone out.

Has anyone actually tested it with a volt meter or similar equipment to prove it keeps balancing for 4 hours or can I unplug it sooner?

Many thanks!

John

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
For my 2013 Sunderland built Leaf, I have found that with two steady and one flashing light, the displayed %SOC sometimes shows 100%, so I presume that having reached 100% indicated charge and gone into balancing mode the third light remains flashing.

Also, observation shows that it charges at 18% per hour (or did when it was just over 1 year old) [3.6kW charger] which means that it should be capable of putting in 99% charge in 5.5 hours, but when I have a low battery, the time to 100% charge display says 6.5 hours. My presumption is that the extra hour is included for balancing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good question, the only light I can shed on this is once the charge finishes and the relays disconnect the traction battery from the mains charger no further charging will take place.
that said the balancing is handled by the batterys onboard controller so it is feasible that balancing could continue internally.
However I think that in all probability once the charge finishes so does the balancing.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi, the question is why do you want/need to do this? The car will stop charging when its balanced.
Cheers.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, the question is why do you want/need to do this? The car will stop charging when its balanced.
Cheers.
Because I do not have off road parking and charge on my neighbours drive - I don't want to leave my car there for longer than I have too but want it to finish balancing first.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Because I do not have off road parking and charge on my neighbours drive - I don't want to leave my car there for longer than I have too but want it to finish balancing first.
OK I wouldn't worry about balancing every time - if you only need a certain percentage of charge then unplug it when it reaches that, if not let it run to 100% plus about 20 minutes for balancing. As long as it gets a balance every now and again then that would be fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
And then once a month as long as they are happy with it, let it charge overnight. Should be more than enough

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi all, I have been reading through old posts to try and get an answer to my question but cannot seem to find anything definitive.

Basically Im looking to unplug my car as soon as its fully charged but AFTER its finished balancing.

Some people are saying its balanced after all the lights have gone out at 100%, and in fact I get the alert that my car has finished charging.

Others suggest to leave it plugged in for at least 4 hours after the lights go out, suggesting it goes on balancing after its reported its stopped charging and lights Gone out.

Has anyone actually tested it with a volt meter or similar equipment to prove it keeps balancing for 4 hours or can I unplug it sooner?

Many thanks!

John
All you need to do is watch when the charge point has disconnected. Once that has happened you can plug it out.
e.g. If it is a Rolec you have it will be when the light changes from green(charging) to blue(standby).

Whether the car continues to do internal balancing or not is irrelevant to you as it will happen regardless.

Basically, once the charge point has disconnected it will stay that way. The car wont request the charge point to start a new charge session so its OK to unplug it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts