Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
EV Wannabe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a cunning plan (y). I'm looking for a charger for my first EV so decided to put together a master sheet with all the major chargers available on it. Thought I'd share it with you in case it's useful. (This is for the UK FYI)

The Google Sheets link for it is here
(I've created built in filters for chargers with Apps, WiFi, sub £500 and >£500. If you want more just ask or create a temporary filter yourself)

However I could do with some help. Have I missed any? Are my prices for a typical install correct? Anything else incorrect or missing?
Please let me know, either in the thread below or through DM.

I've tried to standardise on a 7kW Tethered Charger where possible. Some of it is guesswork, especially around remote locking and also the "typical" cost. For the latter I sometimes worked from the manufacturers quote, other times I worked from prices online or quote I received. Couple of times it was a bit of reverse engineering and a guess.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice work! Are you aware that from 1st July the criteria for the OLEV grant changes and a lot of charges that are currently eligible will no longer be? The current list (including 1st July eligibility) is here, but it's still changing (e.g. Zappi 2 only got approval last week but doesn't yet show as such on the list) EVHS approved chargepoint model list - GOV.UK

·
Registered
15 Posts
The BP Chargemaster can have a physical lock as an option as well (which also adds charging data reporting, which I think is via mobile network, whereas you only have Wi-Fi and Ethernet as options). It would be interesting to see the costs of anything marked as optional, although that might make the whole spreadsheet more complicated.

Really useful summary though

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

·
EV Wannabe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work! Are you aware that from 1st July the criteria for the OLEV grant changes and a lot of charges that are currently eligible will no longer be? The current list (including 1st July eligibility) is here, but it's still changing (e.g. Zappi 2 only got approval last week but doesn't yet show as such on the list) EVHS approved chargepoint model list - GOV.UK
Thanks Neil!

Will update with that info, was aware that there are changes but that's the first time I've seen it defined (up until now most of the discussion had been about the additional safety requirements).

So do you think the cheaper "dumber" chargers will disappear?

·
EV Wannabe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The BP Chargemaster can have a physical lock as an option as well (which also adds charging data reporting, which I think is via mobile network, whereas you only have Wi-Fi and Ethernet as options). It would be interesting to see the costs of anything marked as optional, although that might make the whole spreadsheet more complicated.

Thanks Swing. Will update soon with that info.

It's a challenge to balance too much info versus not enough. In wanting to avoid information overload (which I got after my sixth charge point datasheet) and put a summary down. If you know the price of the option I'll put it in extras.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,871 Posts

If it's got WiFi/Ethernet connection then technically it should be possible to access it from the web, worst case is that you would have to do some address translation and static routing.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
So do you think the cheaper "dumber" chargers will disappear?
Probably not, as the "smart" charge point requirement is only for those who are having one installed with the benefit of an OLEV grant. I would guess that some may just choose to buy one with no grant, especially, perhaps, hotels, guest houses, employers etc, who may wish to install destination charge points but aren't able to get an OLEV grant. There's a lot to be said for having the dumbest charge point available, as the chances are it will be a lot simpler internally, and hopefully more reliable.

The bottom line is that a charge point is nothing more than a mains power outlet - all it does is switch the mains supply on and off in response to the request signal from the car and provide some protection against accidental electric shock. There's no battery charging circuitry inside the things, that's all built in to the car.

·
EV Wannabe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might be better to show the actual unit costs before any grant - install costs should be pretty much the same for any unit,and certainly much more dependent on the individual install location than which unit is installed.
I did think about that Mike, but I wanted to show what I would typically pay. After all, it's how much your bank balance is going to be hit that's the main concern.

Also some are transparent about the breakdown of unit/OLEV/install. Others not so.

·
EV Wannabe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I like the sheet, excellent summary. Is is possible to add info re reliability/repairs? E.g. a big advantage of the Rolec to me is that the internals are DIY replaceable. This would also apply to any Mainpine based kits out there.

·
EV Wannabe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the sheet, excellent summary. Is is possible to add info re reliability/repairs? E.g. a big advantage of the Rolec to me is that the internals are DIY replaceable. This would also apply to any Mainpine based kits out there.
Thanks for the feedback! I've added the Repairability to the Rolec description. Is there anyone selling full complete Mainpine based chargers?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The OVO version is just the ChargedEV Smart+ rebranded?

(Have added it, thanks)
It is the same hardware but because of the OLEV smart requirements from July the way chargers are controlled will change and these two are very different.

The Smart+ isn't tied to an energy network and is optimised to reduce grid carbon (local generation matching and a few other features coming soon). It attracts a higher install price under OLEV.

The OVO Smart Charger is cheaper (often free under OLEV) but must be on an OVO tariff. It is optimised based on live energy costs.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
To make my life worse the government have added a load of new EVSEs to the EVHS list. I've updated the sheet, good news is that almost all the manufacturers I cover have EVHS models now. EVHS approved chargepoint model list - GOV.UK
Now you've got that one sorted perhaps you could work the same magic on the government list of approved installers. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts