Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Government have announced that the year for the ban has been brought forward to 2030.

Hybrids banned from 2035.

Not hugely unexpected as this has been discussed for a while. Great to have confirmation.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I wonder what form the 'Grants for EV buyers will stretch to £582m to help people make the transition' will take. An increase in the plug in car grant?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,648 Posts
I have a feeling the £582 million may be at least partly used to increase the home charging point take up. Most of the cars are made abroad while installing chargepoints would create jobs and take pressure off public charging for those who can charge at home. Public chargers require finding sites and power supply, not to forget some sort of method to pay, whereas putting as many at home as possible does not.

·
Registered
304 Posts
LBC just had a load of callers too, the general public is really not ready if this is the level of knowledge. But of course radio phone ins only really get nutters (otherwise boring radio) so it’s hard to say. But there is a lot of misinformation out there it seems

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
New cars and vans powered wholly by petrol and diesel will not be sold in the UK from 2030, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.
But some hybrids would still be allowed, he confirmed.
Those with combustion engines in them? ;)

Sorry, but if hybrids with combustion engines are allowed, it's not a "Ban on new petrol and diesel cars" is it ? It's just a slightly more efficient combustion car which can maybe do the school run on electricity but not much else?

Wake me up when cars containing combustion engines truly are banned from sale.

·
Premium Member
11,915 Posts
I read that sale of PHEVs would be allowed until 2035 but traditional ("self charging" 🙄) hybrids would also be banned from 2030 as only powered by petrol. Yes, they really are Toyota.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I read that sale of PHEVs would be allowed until 2035 but traditional ("self charging" 🙄) hybrids would also be banned from 2030 as only powered by petrol. Yes, they really are Toyota.
The problem is a PHEV can be used as a traditional Hybrid simply by forgetting to ever plug it in. How convenient... ;) Will there be any roadside checks to ensure people are actually charging their PHEV's and not just driving them as regular cars ? I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
“All cars must be hybrid by 2030” then.

No big deal, most of them are already.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts

That's my point. :)

It was the same point I made with the original 2040 "ban" which was reported in the media as a ban on combustion cars yet all hybrids with combustion engines that could achieve reasonable emissions levels would still be allowed under the original 2040 "ban".

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
575 Posts

It's all cars must have a plug by 2030.

I find it really amusing the amount of hysteria this has whipped up. I wouldn't be surprised if there are bugger all ICE cars on sale by 2025 never mind 2030 the economics will be so stacked against ICE cars by 2030 that the manufactures just wont want to build them for the small % of Luddites that still want to drive round burning stuff because burning stuff never did me any harm!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,297 Posts
The problem is a PHEV can be used as a traditional Hybrid simply by forgetting to ever plug it in. How convenient... ;) Will there be any roadside checks to ensure people are actually charging their PHEV's and not just driving them as regular cars ? I doubt it.
Will there be roadside checks to ensure you didn’t fill up your EV from a cola fired power plant? :)

·
Premium Member
11,915 Posts

Unless Toyota lobbying changes the government policy, the plan is for 2030 all cars sold must be PLUG IN. So far in 2020, plug in sales are just over 8% market share so a long way to go.

A key objective is to reduce local pollution and used correctly a plug-in-hybrid achieves that. If only BEVs are available in 2030 it is likely some people will buy a shorter range EV and keep their 10+ year old diesel for longer journeys. On petrol, a 2030 PHEV will be far cleaner than their diesel.

Source New UK EV and AFV Registrations - SMMT monthly data

·
Registered
393 Posts
The comments on the bbc site are verging on panic. Some are just plain bizzare.
I've just scanned them and agree.

Just a thought though. In 10 years times, a lot of urban areas may have self-driving PAYG vehicles. Who would want to own a vehicle in a ULEZ zone? So a lot of the blocks of flats and terraced houses charging issues may not be even relevant.

·
Premium Member
11,915 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there are bugger all ICE cars on sale by 2025 never mind 2030
So far this year BEVs are just over 5% of sales in UK. It is easy in our EV vacuum to think everyone is buying them, but the public are still (rightly in some ways) sceptical. Below is a graph from Deloitte showing expected sales and Europe will be around 15% by 2025, but as UK has higher pentration than Europe average, 20% or slightly more is probably realistic.

Many (most?) manufacturers simply aren't geared up to produce a wide range of BEVs in volume by 2025 and even 2030 will be hard for then. Ford have only launched one expensive BEV and Toyota have none (well one Lexus). Developing EVs isn't as easy as they thought as we see from problems VW (software), Ford and Polestar (both recalls) they have had.

The reality is that in 2030 many manufacturers will have a far smaller range of "plug in" models on sale in UK. They simply aren't going to be able to afford to develop EV (or even PHEV) versions of all their cars. I suspect many will stockpile pre-reg cars before the deadline and sell over a few years as "used". Clearly it would be hard for the government to ban used sales.
Text Line Plot Font Slope

Source - Electric vehicles

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think that is a problem, but set against that how many PHEVs will be available in 2030?

Manufacturers that currently produce PHEVs nay continue to do so, but I would be surprised if other manufacturers would develop their own PHEVs now rather than developing EVs. In that case PHEVs would be a small and expensive part of the market by 2030.

·
Premium Member
11,915 Posts
This was certainly an issue with company PHEVs as many drivers got free petrol! With private buyers I am inclined to think most people would plug in if they could. My Outlander friends drive 80% on electric.

As others have said though, the cost of PHEVs isn't likely to drop much by 2030 whereas BEVs will, so demand will be tempered. BEVs will benefit far more from platform volume (eg VW MEB) and reducing cost of batteries.

·
Registered
Peugeot e208 GT line - awaiting delivery
12 Posts
I wonder what form the 'Grants for EV buyers will stretch to £582m to help people make the transition' will take. An increase in the plug in car grant?
I think nothing changes... most the promises on the green economy as part the announcement were I believe already existing commitments/plans/budget so the main headline is just the pulling forward of the date to 2030, but happy to stand corrected..... there was me too silently hoping that my EV grant would increase for my e208 that I am hoping to collect the keys of in January....

1 - 20 of 88 Posts