Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nissan Cared4 website now has the ability to identify cars as flex, or exclude them from a search if battery rental isn't your bag.

So why don't dealers mention this in their ad even if they haven't got to grips with the new-fangled ways of their website and mis-categorised it as non-flex when it is in fact flex...

Surely it's not deliberate is it? :mad:

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Yup, frustrating. Is it a bargain Leaf, or an expensive flex? Unless the advert says so, you cannot be sure. I thought that it would have come under the Sale of Goods Act in all fairness...
Actually it is a breach of the CAP Code (as enforced by the Advertising Standards Authority).

The clause is:
CAP Code said:
3.18 Quoted prices must include non-optional taxes, duties, fees and charges that apply to all or most buyers

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Matt, a good point.

Would they try and wriggle out of it with E&OE small print, I wonder?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Thanks for that, Matt, a good point.

Would they try and wriggle out of it with E&OE small print, I wonder?
If they can wriggle out of that, then I can advertise TVs at £249 and charge you £349 - "Oh, when I placed the ad I must have typed the wrong price"

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Someone seeing a Leaf Flex or a Zoe advertised with no mention of the battery lease costs would stand where, I can't help but wonder, if they paid for the vehicle before they were informed about the lease plan?

Could they drive it away and refuse to pay for the battery... o_O
This is actually a type of fraud know as "bait and switch" where a customer is tempted into a shop by a really great offer, only to discover when there that they can't actually get the offer advertised. But before they leave the salesman has a good chance to sell them something similar but more expensive. This practice is specifically banned under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 - you can get up to two years in prison for it!

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re 'bait and switch'- many cars I enquire about have 'just been sold' apparently.
They don't always suggest there's another coming in, but if they do, it's always a little more expensive...
Shame that the majority of car dealers tarnish the reputation of the honest minority! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts