Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to charge my new i3 up for the first time using a Podpoint home charger.

Am I right in saying that I have to change the charger settings through i-Drive from Low (as car supplied) to Max in order to minimize the charge time?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes, although mine came set on Max. There are separate functions for the granny charger and wall charger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Using the Podpoint 7kw charger it seems to be adding about 10% battery capacity / 15 miles range each hour. Does that sound typical?
I was expecting it to be quicker.

·
Registered
724 Posts
5 hours to 80% charge. After that the charge rate tails off but shouldn’t be more than 7 hours total to 100%. The charging process is slightly less efficient at lower temperatures and below 10 deg.C. battery conditioning of up to 3 hours is required before charging commences.
The mileage added depends on previous trip efficiencies so is not a very good indicator.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
It'll probably keep charging at full 30 amps right up to 95% or the last twenty minutes or so in my experience on a 7kw with a 120Ah car, but yeah, it'll tell you when it expects to finish after you plug the cable in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I charged it from 24% and at 10.30am it said it would take till 18.37 (8 hours). And it did take 8 hours - longer than I was expecting. Showing 165 miles range after full charge (appreciate that is very variable). On the first charge I did 140 miles in taking it down from 100% to 24%.

As an aside - really pleased with the ride quality on the 19" alloys. Went for these because the roads round here are rubbish and I could foresee tyre and wheel damage with the 20". It is so long since I had a car with anything other than low profile tyres - it is quite a novelty having tyres with a deep sidewall!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not sure why it would take 8 hours. BMW quote less than that assuming maximum charge of 32 amps.
With the mild weather I am getting a range of around 180 miles (efficiency 5/5) on short local trips and would be very disappointed with only 140 miles but it depends totally how you drive it of course. Motorways are the worst.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I guess mine would have been around 180 if I had let the charge go down to near zero rather than charging from 24%.
The 8 hours for what was a three quarter charge makes no sense.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was referring to the range shown on the dash (so called GOM Guess-O-meter). The data sheets say 6hrs 15 mins 0-100% and other reference material 0-80% in 4hrs 55mins. The graphs show drop-off of current from around 90%/95% so linear at 32 amps for most of the charge curve. See how it goes over several charges.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I will. It was (according to the Connected Services data) consistently adding about 10% capacity / 15 miles range each hour - certainly a little less nearer the end. Pretty linear - but slow.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
220 Posts
Thanks I will. It was (according to the Connected Services data) consistently adding about 10% capacity / 15 miles range each hour - certainly a little less nearer the end. Pretty linear - but slow.
It is slow. I assume worst case at 7kW is 21 miles added per hour (3 miles/kWh). Perhaps the battery management system is playing safe, for the moment, as car is new? Have you a house smart meter with a power used display?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
I did 162 miles on a single charge yesterday, average speed 38mph and the car went from 100% to 11% in that time.
The recharge on my 32A outlet ran at bang on 7kw for the whole time before stepping down for the last 20 minutes and was done in exactly 5:25. It put in 39.75kwh, which means it's charging only at about 85% efficiency, but still, this has consistently been my experience with the car. Taking 8 hours or more on a 7kw charge is just not possible, so it must have been running at the reduced charging rate, which is about 3.6kw iirc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I set the charging setting to 'Max' in the car.
So the conclusion must be that the Podpoint is only charging at 3.6kw rather than the 7kw it should do?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
They probably have a jumper inside the podpoint that sets the output power. OR you have a 16A cable.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Agree that it seems you are only getting 16 amps from the charger. Difficult to check without a clamp-on meter or smart meter.
Obviously you want to get it fixed but in practise it doesn’t matter much as most people plug in overnight, however, if you were to switch to, say, Octopus Go then the cheap rate is only 4 hours from 12.30 to 4.30 am so that could be restricting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually I think I have committed an error on this. On the charging preferences the car was supplied with both charging options set to Minimum. Yesterday I changed Mode 2 to Max - as I now understand it Mode 2 is the 'Granny charger. So now I have changed the AC charger option to Max as well. (I was confusing the two descriptions!)

So hopefully when I use the PodPoint next time the car will allow the full charge rate from the PodPoint. As stated above I guess the car was just allowing a 16 Amp charge yesterday.

Live and learn!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts