Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I had a Volvo S70 2.5T, a gas guzzling (literally as I had an LPG conversion on it), petrol drinking machine.

On this car (which lasted 185k miles) I had a front & rear dashcam connected to the battery for parking mode. I was getting battery issues (dead battery after a few days) and blamed the dashcam so installed a separate dashcam battery (CellLink B) which charged when the engine was running and couldn’t discharge the main battery.

It wasn’t the problem – but that’s not the issue here.

The point is that this was a car with an alternator. When driving it pushed power into the Cellink and stopped when the engine stopped.

After a few years of use I tested the Cellink B on a rig on my dining room table and found that after a full charge overnight I only had a few minutes of life left – the battery was F&^%’d. I then destroyed the battery unit trying to open it to see if the batteries were swappable in some manner. If I wanted to get back to where I was I needed to buy a new battery every few years.

I have ordered a Kia eNiro, a car without an alternator. Its got plenty of power, but that’s in the traction battery, not the 12V battery which is presumably a normal car battery.

I do not like flat car batteries. Some dashcams come with a battery saver where you can set minimum voltages at which point the dashcam shuts off but this IMO doesn’t work well, due to differences in safe limit voltages as battery temperature / ambient temperature changes.

So, how does this work with a BEV – specifically a Kia eNiro. The car obviously charges the 12V battery, does it do that all the time the car is turned on or does it only do that a few mins / hours a day as its that time the dashcam battery would need to charge. I seem to remember something about a battery mode that charges the car for a period (dunno how long) every day which would be ideal as that would keep the dashcam battery topped off every day as long as enough charge can reach it during the time period.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To follow up there is an interesting thread on this board with the attached image. This is from a Kona thread BTW

So the aux battery save can activate for 10 days.
A decent dashcam in parking mode on a 6Ah battery can last quite a few days before going flat. I assume that battery saver function would also charge the dashcam battery, but not fully (20 minutes isn't enough from flat but maybe enough for a topup if the dashcam is efficient)

So is the 12V battery charged whilst the car is turned on (I assume yes) and if so - for how long?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts