Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, this is maybe a dumb question. I am still in my first week of EV ownership so still working it all out.

I get that the batteries don't really like the cold, but do they deplete in the cold if the van isn't moving?

I arrived at work today with 35 miles left on the GOM. That's fine for me getting home. However, it's going to be sub-zero overnight. By the time I drive home at lunchtime tomorrow, it will be reasonably warm. So will I still have the 35 on the GOM, or will the cold night have brought it down even though I haven't been driving it? And if so, by how much?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
They don't deplete (as far as I know), but the available charge may be lower at a lower temperature.

The range shown on the dash may well be lower in view of the lower temperature.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only going to be sub-zero overnight, forecast reckons around 7 degrees by the time I leave work. Should be fine then, hopefully!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
What's the vehicle? What's the route? Is your commute 34 miles?

So many questions!?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
It's only going to be sub-zero overnight, forecast reckons around 7 degrees by the time I leave work. Should be fine then, hopefully!
These batteries are large and dense - like a storage heater. It will take many hours for it to reach ambient temperature while sat idle. It probably won't be 'frozen' by the morning but it probably won't be up to anywhere near 7 by the time you leave work. (I assume from what you say you are at work overnight.)
But a major reason for loss of range is simply use of the heater to keep yourself warm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These batteries are large and dense - like a storage heater. It will take many hours for it to reach ambient temperature while sat idle. It probably won't be 'frozen' by the morning but it probably won't be up to anywhere near 7 by the time you leave work. (I assume from what you say you are at work overnight.)
But a major reason for loss of range is simply use of the heater to keep yourself warm.
Yes, at work overnight (a 23 hour shift!). I think the sun will be on it through the morning so that should help to heat it a bit I guess?

·
29,881 Posts
Route is just shy of 10 miles
Not an issue, then.

Range estimates do often drop overnight, even in warm weather. But not that much.

Any lingering doubts, move it into the Sun an hour or so before you leave, the subsequent greenhouse effect will remove the heating load. If it's cloudy .. pffftt ... really, not a problem.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
They don't deplete (as far as I know), but the available charge may be lower at a lower temperature.
The batteries always deplete ("self discharge"), but they deplete slower at lower temperatures. One of the few cases where cold is good (y)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
610 Posts
They don't deplete as such (certainly not over a few days) though the displayed % Soc may drop a 1 or 2 % if it gets really cold, but that seems to come back again once it warms up.
You may find the power is slightly restricted too in colder temperatures, to avoid damaging the battery, so the motor might not give you quite the same amount of acceleration you get in warmer weather. Maybe 10-15% less, only really noticeable if you are joining a road from short slip road though. But as others have said, the range effect in cold weather is mostly due the the additional heating load.
I think the env200 has active cooling/heating too for the battery, but generally that would only come into play well below freezing. Batteries can't really charge below 0 either, so the heater would activate at the start of the charge, which will lengthen the charge time.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Yes, at work overnight (a 23 hour shift!). I think the sun will be on it through the morning so that should help to heat it a bit I guess?
As Donald says, the sun should preheat the cabin a bit/lot, but it probably won't do much for the battery as it's under the floor.
But unless you need to rapid charge or do wheelies soon after setting off, a cold battery isn't really a problem.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
219 Posts
An indicated 35 mile range should be ample to get you the ten miles to home, where I presume you have a charger. However is it not possible to hook up to a charger at work or even a granny charger, and a bonus of using the firms electricity :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An indicated 35 mile range should be ample to get you the ten miles to home, where I presume you have a charger. However is it not possible to hook up to a charger at work or even a granny charger, and a bonus of using the firms electricity :D
I wondered about it, but it is an old building with fuse boxes in weird places and nothing seems to be sensible where electricity is involved. I would be wary of the draw being too much for the system! Best not to risk it!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think the env200 has active cooling/heating too for the battery, but generally that would only come into play well below freezing. Batteries can't really charge below 0 either, so the heater would activate at the start of the charge, which will lengthen the charge time.
The vehicle only has very basic & limited cooling of the battery, but no heating functionality.

·
29,881 Posts
Well, it's snowed here overnight which is of course because of global warming.

I noted over the last week there have been extensive frosts in southern France and Italy, some French minister declaring the expected 80% drop in wine production caused to be a 'cultural disaster'.

Wine growers have resorted to lighting small bonfires in their vine groves.

I would have mentioned this in my "Speak EV - Electric Car Forums" thread, in which I am logging the 'actual' experiences of people during this time of unprecedented global warming crisis where things seem to be getting colder and colder, but not posting there at the moment, so hay-ho and all that.

So as the weather is unusual, and because 'unusual' means global warming, it must mean it is hotter than usual so you'll have no problems today. That's logical, no? :devilish:

Still, no problem with your battery I expect. The snow, if any, might slow you down and the slower you go the farther you go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, it's snowed here overnight which is of course because of global warming.

I noted over the last week there have been extensive frosts in southern France and Italy, some French minister declaring the expected 80% drop in wine production caused to be a 'cultural disaster'.

Wine growers have resorted to lighting small bonfires in their vine groves.

I would have mentioned this in my "Speak EV - Electric Car Forums" thread, in which I am logging the 'actual' experiences of people during this time of unprecedented global warming crisis where things seem to be getting colder and colder, but not posting there at the moment, so hay-ho and all that.

So as the weather is unusual, and because 'unusual' means global warming, it must mean it is hotter than usual so you'll have no problems today. That's logical, no? :devilish:

Still, no problem with your battery I expect. The snow, if any, might slow you down and the slower you go the farther you go.

I worked on a computer centre project that was part of some university climate change thing a few years ago that was hampered by bad weather. We all joked with the client about this and one of them involved with the clever stuff said something that stuck in my mind as being easy to understand. He said the key issue is not temperature but that it is energy and the more energy there is in the earths climate systems the more extreme that the highs and lows of everything will get. He was not happy with the media having picked on the temperature change as being the key thing as he believed that it would lead to people misunderstanding the effects of increased energy in the earths oceans and atmosphere.

Seemed to make sense to me at a simple level as I thought that it was easier to understand that if something has more energy it is going to behave more vigourously perhaps a bit like heating a pan of milk until it boils..

·
29,881 Posts
He said the key issue is not temperature but that it is energy and the more energy there is in the earths climate systems the more extreme that the highs and lows of everything will get.
'Fraid I have sworn not to debate off topic so just to close and if I might please say, I really have to leave it here;- What's actually happened is that the night-times and the poles have got warmer. That is, the extreme lows have decreased. This therefore pushes up the temperature 'average'. You might not believe me but just go check the data. Variation of temp at the poles versus equator, and the variation of daytime highs to night time lows. I am not suggesting this is immaterial, of course it is important to know and stop our impact on that if we are accelerating the already-happening deglaciation (since 1700s), and I've no reason to doubt that we are doing just that. But (currently) it's actually more about 'lesser' extremes of cold rather than more extremes of heat. Just check the data.

Anyway, just to say, Sun is out here so if the OP goes for a bit of greenhouse warming himself, he'll get home like a goodun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyway, just to say, Sun is out here so if the OP goes for a bit of greenhouse warming himself, he'll get home like a goodun.
She did indeed get home just fine. Not quite got the confidence in the range just yet to immediately head uphill to the local reservoir to walk the dog without a bit of charging first though! Don't know quite what that hill will do to it yet, although I look forward to the regen on the way home 😊 A wee charge for an hour first should leave me more comfortable!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts