Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been keeping my eye on my battery SOH recently as i was aware it was in the low 85% range before coming into winter, and expected it to drop further in the cold...

Sure enough, its continued creeping down, and its now at 83.8%.

However, i still have 12 battery bars?

Everything i read suggests that the first bar is lost at 85%?

Any ideas whats going on here? @Dalathegreat ?

Oddly, despite the SOH reading showing 83.8%, the reported GID's on a fully charged battery is in the 86% range?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,111 Posts
The bars require the SoH to be below the threshold for at least a month before changing.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fairly sure its been below 85% for more than a month at this point. It spent quite a while fluctuating around the 84% range before finally dipping into the 83's

I guess its only a matter of time though!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
If it is really cold, the BMS puts bar drops / SOH calculation on hold!
I don't know about bar drops, but its 0C here most days and Leafspy still reports randomly fluctuating (up and down) SoH figures every time I check - even a couple of days apart...It really doesn't seem to have a clue...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still showing 12 bars, 83.68% SOH.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Don’t worry, your time will come.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don’t worry, your time will come.
your car has 7 bars?! yikes, i'd probably struggle to get to work in summer with that little :oops: How many GID's do you have when full?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a wee update, still 12 bars. SOH has risen to 84.7% for whatever reason. This cold weathers seen it having been run down to very low SOC a few times on my commute so perhaps thats helped bump the figure back up a bit.🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
your car has 7 bars?! yikes, i'd probably struggle to get to work in summer with that little :oops: How many GID's do you have when full?
Dunno for sure on GIDs I’d have to check, but less than 200 I think. I can’t go further than 40 miles I’d say (not driven it much because of lockdown and having the eNiro now as well)

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
If it is really cold, the BMS puts bar drops / SOH calculation on hold!
Yep, I've found that as well. When we had a few weeks where the peak temperatures were consistently below freezing the SoH figure did not update at all, it stayed the same to two decimal places.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Just a wee update, still 12 bars. SOH has risen to 84.7% for whatever reason. This cold weathers seen it having been run down to very low SOC a few times on my commute so perhaps thats helped bump the figure back up a bit.🤷‍♂️
Could be. Every time I've charged over a reduced range (charging to only 80%) for a couple of weeks or more in a row (like during lockdowns) the SoH figure has plummeted and then when I started charging to 100% it has rebound again. Clearly visible in this graph of excel data I've been keeping:

The sudden drop in the first column was a result of charging to 80% for only a couple of weeks with the rebound in the 3rd column occurring when I went back to (delayed) 100% charging, likewise the sudden drop in the 6th column was charging to 80% over the Christmas new year period and the rebound in column 7 charging to 100% Mon-Fri to go to work again. The BMS doesn't really have a clue - the figure is up and down all over the place from week to week.

As usual I add the disclaimer for everyone reading that although 100% charges cause the Leaf BMS to report a higher SoH than partial charges the true health of the battery is better preserved by not charging to 100% - this is a measurement/estimation error. Just because it shows slightly higher SoH over the short term by charging to 100% doesn't make it better for the battery over the long term - it's definitely worse over the long term.

If you're a "SoH watcher" just be aware that treating the battery well by not fully charging or discharging it will cause the reported SoH to be under estimated but that under estimate will be corrected after a few full cycles.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another update as i saw it mentioned in the other thread.

Still on 12 bars, 82.4% SOC. just under 59k miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
The curse of reporting your findings at work!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah! certainly odd that it didnt drop a bar until <82% though, a quirk of the 6A battery firmware perhaps?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
yeah! certainly odd that it didnt drop a bar until <82% though, a quirk of the 6A battery firmware perhaps?
Whats your KW available at 100%?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another question. Now, the car when fullly charged only has two "rings" of regen. The other two appear as the battery discharges. 3rd at around 95% and the fourth around 92%.

I'm fairly sure, before my bar disappeared, that i had all 4 rings at startup with a full battery? Am i just misremembering? Feels like its definitely changed....

It woudlnt give four dots of regen ofcourse, but the four rings were there, and i'm pretty sure i now get less regen than before.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
it may use the same cutoff points as the bars, or maybe not, but you definitely get less regenerate as the battery ages. My Leaf has no regen at all at startup now, and will give you about 10kw once you're down to about 75% charge, and then........ that's it. Maybe when it's warm and at 10% I'll see a bit more, but it's pretty rubbish right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts