Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone else on forum mentioned not to keep battery booster in the boot because you cannot open doors/boot if 12v battery goes flat!
Is this correct? Doesn't make sense not to keep it in boot. Where else can you keep it? Too big to just have on your person, in your bag. No point in another car if miles away or at home.
I thought the manual key was for when the fob battery ran out? Sure when I took my 12v battery out to charge it I couldn't unlock doors with the manual key.
If correct, how can you get to your booster if locked in boot?
Apologies if a dumb question!

·
Registered
431 Posts
The manual key should work,
Otherwise you wouldn't get the bonnet up either.

Just that the boot doesn't have a lock.

You could keep it in the glove box?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Manual key works. There is also a way of opening the boot door as well. Bit of a faff but it works as I had to do it once. Here is what Kia says
Your vehicle is equipped with the emergency tailgate safety release lever located on the bottom of the tailgate. When someone (think this sounds ominous) is inadvertently locked in the luggage compartment. The tailgate can be opened by doing as follows:
1. Input the mechanical key into the hole.
2. Push the mechanical key to the right.
3. Push up the tailgate

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Someone else on forum mentioned not to keep battery booster in the boot because you cannot open doors/boot if 12v battery goes flat!
I think somebody made this point, when I said that is where I keep my booster !.
Glad to say, I have not been in a situation where I have needed to put it to the test.
I am of the same opinion as @Grant_H here.
Surely the whole idea of the manufacture giving you a manual over ride facility to use when the 12 volt battery is unable to provide enough energy to trigger the central locking system, is the whole point of having an emergency key in the first place, otherwise what is the point ?.
On the MG ZS EV - by inserting the metal blade into the lock of the front door and then physically turning the key, this will operate the locking mechanism, this permits entry into the car.
The car can be locked also with the metal key this way.
This can be seen in one of Mike's great videos, when he managed to lock himself out of the car while trying to pre-heat it.
Skip forward to 1min - 40secs and brilliantly demonstrates how to gain entry to his car by use of the emergency key.

You can clearly hear, by turning the metal blade key, it triggers the central locking.
I imagine ( listening to the sound ) it opens ALL of the doors and the hatchback lock as well.
If so, then you have access to grab your booster pack that is kept in the boot.
If it only opens the front door(s) then its just a mater of reaching over to the rear interior door handle and popping the door open.
Then drop the back seat and then gain access to the boot compartment.
But I think by using the manual key, it triggers ALL of the central locking system.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the comment made was not to store it under the boot FLOOR, since you'd have one hell of a time trying to get access if you couldn't open the boot.

I would recommend the Noco Boost Sport GB20, which will easily fit in the glove box

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just picked up an arteck one of Amazon for about 30 quid. Looks the part and pumps out 15v on the jump starter terminals, so should do the job

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Just picked up an arteck one of Amazon for about 30 quid. Looks the part and pumps out 15v on the jump starter terminals, so should do the job

Sounds very much like £30 worth of good "Peace Of Mind" in my book Grant !.
Could we be the best thirty quid you have ever spent in the time of a low 12 Volt battery condition.
I bought one in the clear hope and intension, that I will NEVER need to use it and therefore it could have fallen into the complete waste of money list of things we buy.
I will be very happy to have wasted my money, if I never need to use it.
But on the other hand, being stranded and waiting for the recovery services for a few hours, for the sake of a 2 minute jump start from a similar booster pack makes the £30 spend to become a very cheap deal all of a sudden.

·
Registered
431 Posts
@Carty very true.

Although within a few days of my 12v battery dying of bought the booster, maintenance charger & one of those Bluetooth monitors.

That said if the dealer insists on telling me that battery is fine in still going to call Kia assist every time so there's a paper trail

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Manual key works. There is also a way of opening the boot door as well. Bit of a faff but it works as I had to do it once. Here is what Kia says
Your vehicle is equipped with the emergency tailgate safety release lever located on the bottom of the tailgate. When someone (think this sounds ominous) is inadvertently locked in the luggage compartment. The tailgate can be opened by doing as follows:
1. Input the mechanical key into the hole.
2. Push the mechanical key to the right.
3. Push up the tailgate
Thanks, yes I assumed the manual key must open the door otherwise no point.
The odd thing about the emergency tailgate release is that how would anyone get locked inside with the key? They have to unlock tailgate then open it with key in this hole. If the tailgate release button on fob actually popped up the door then wouldn't need this emergency release hole.
I have my booster in a boot tidy thing so would open door, fold down a seat and access it that way.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gone for the Artek. Hope I never need it and if I do it'll be man enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Although within a few days of my 12v battery dying of bought the booster, maintenance charger & one of those Bluetooth monitors.
Same here Grant !.
A bit of a "Belt And Braces" approach to the whole situation really.
Trying to cover all of your bases at the same time in an attempt not to get court with your pants firmly around your ankles !.
It gets you a little paranoid, I don't think I have any concerns about the condition of my 12 Volt battery on any of my cars over the last 30 years before.
Now I find myself surrounded by a jumper pack and a smart charger.
I just need an independent 12 Volt indicators now to complete the set !.
I have offered my car a drink from the smart charger on two occasions now.
But on both offerings, it only took about 30 mins to show that the battery was fully charged and ready to go.
Therefore, the battery must have been at a pretty good level of charge before this.
You are definitely correct in your attitude towards assembling a documented paper trail to support any issues in the future, lets just hope it is NOT needed hey ?.

·
Registered
264 Posts
From recent experience albeit with an Ioniq. With a totally dead battery you can manually open drivers door. Rear doors remain shut, you can't open them manually from the inside, boot doesn't open. I had dog carriers on back seats. Access to rear was hindered by electric seats not being able to move/tip forward. Had to collapse the dog carriers in the car reach over and drop seat Box for jump pack was at the furthest point away in boot had to use other items to pull it forward
I actually had the jump pack because I had charged it indoors, it was the battery connector leads that were still in the box that I needed.
My lease company has warned me not to use jump packs because they have had instances of causing other damage which cost the more money. Did not say what but I assume it is the battery sensor on the negative post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts