Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a quote to buy out my wifes 17 reg ZE40 battery lease, which came in at £3750, which was lower than I was expecting - but I can't for the love of me work out what formula they're using to work the value out. We probably won't buy it out, but I'd love to be able to guestimate what the cost might be say in 3 years. Anyone help ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Straight-line or compound?

Something that simple would seem likely and probably fits their profit projections, with RCI winning in all circumstances.

·
Registered
135 Posts
2013 Fluence 22kwh battery was £2300 in 2020, if that's any help.
Just had a quote to buy out my wifes 17 reg ZE40 battery lease, which came in at £3750, which was lower than I was expecting - but I can't for the love of me work out what formula they're using to work the value out. We probably won't buy it out, but I'd love to be able to guestimate what the cost might be say in 3 years. Anyone help ?
Page 7 of your lease agreement

Font Screenshot Number Document Parallel

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
848 Posts
I remember somewhere on the battery lease agreement when I bought my 1st Zoe it listed the price of the battery when new.
It then went on to say its value would decrease by 10% at the end of each year.
I think my 66 plate 22kw battery was £6k when new.. so deducting £600, £540, £486, £437, £393 etc
I'm not sure they would just knock of £600 each year as after 10years they would have no financial control over it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know wether you've checked your picture, but it doesn't actually help any sorry !!
You're right. Sorry about that. I though it was a calculation for the purchase of the battery to terminate the lease agreement. Having looked at it a bit closer it appears to be the compensation payable if you terminate a lease period early. I must admit that having read the lease agreement some time ago there were a lot of areas where I thought you could run foul of the agreement without having any control of the circumstances and RCI would end up demanding that they have their battery back. It wasn't for me.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
I'm not sure they would just knock of £600 each year as after 10years they would have no financial control over it.
After 10 years it's just a liability with the 70% guarantee, but as they've recouped their initial outlay they'd probably be happy to give it to you as I believe that they have in the case of a number of Fluence owners.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
428 Posts
They also have a figure where it bottoms out which seemed to be around the 5 year mark, but I think even that changes over time. On the 22kWh battery it used to be £2750 (what I paid) but I'm sure I've read people saying they have been quoted £2500. £2300 for a Fluence battery is really taking the piss these days.

If you speak to a decent person over at RCI they can give you prices for the battery if it was a year/two/five years older. Although they may still slightly change their ramped rate or base price it would still give you a very good idea of when the best time to buy out the battery is.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess my thinking is that a loan to buy out the battery would be a similiar price to the rental, and wouldn't come with recovery (!) but that there will come a point where the battery is as cheap as it's going to get, and/or is at a price where the rental is more than a loan and an annual recovery contract.

I didn't get to ask for alternative figures, because the lady I spoke to only took the details and then said to expect an email in about a week. Don't know wether thats covid still at work, or not, but sort of assumed that I wouldn't get any further by trying to call again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In April I was quoted £2,800 for my 22kwh March 2016 Zoe. That's £950 less than you've been quoted so depending on when in 2017 yours is registered, and as long as you're on the lowest rental tariff, you would potentially save money by waiting for it to bottom out. I think mine is almost at that level now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In April I was quoted £2,800 for my 22kwh March 2016 Zoe. That's £950 less than you've been quoted so depending on when in 2017 yours is registered, and as long as you're on the lowest rental tariff, you would potentially save money by waiting for it to bottom out. I think mine is almost at that level now.
I expect that ZE40 and ZE20 won't be the same price for buy out.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
In June I was quoted £3000 for my June 2016 registered Zoe. I'm not sure how they work it out.
I do about 6000miles a year and pay the appropriate battery lease (£59). Does anyone know if I can get away with going on to the lowest tarif without risking penalties?

·
Registered
318 Posts
It certainly is a lot better deal

than

How do the rentals compare?
There is £10 difference per month in the lowest monthly rental price (£49 compared to £59). I've asked 3 times over the last year or so and it's gone from £3,500 in May 2020, £3,000 in November 2020 and then £2,800 in April 2021. I'm imagine that the ZE40 will follow a similar pattern.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In June I was quoted £3000 for my June 2016 registered Zoe. I'm not sure how they work it out.
I do about 6000miles a year and pay the appropriate battery lease (£59). Does anyone know if I can get away with going on to the lowest tarif without risking penalties?
From what others have said, yes, you can move to the lowest tariff. I've been on it for around 4 years and no-one has asked for my mileage or requested an extra payment. Also, the extra payment is £8 per 100 miles that you're over which is 8p per mile. I currently pay £49 for 4,500 miles which is 8p per mile less than you're paying, so even if they asked for the extra it wouldn't cost you any more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts